General Tag Discussion

Goddess Erosia

bow before me owo
@Brokedownandmadeone

I for one like this new system for exactly that reason. For many images, the species featured is almost a kind of genre description - it’s a factor so large that it feels like it should be up there with the really important tags, like official characters, and show of origin. Not just lost among all the other tags via alphabetical order.

The only thing that startled me initially was the color is so deep I thought it was like a negative thing. It looks so…serious.
Background Pony #DC5B
While we’re adding special colors to tags, I feel like the foalcon tag deserves to be made more visible on images it appears on. I’m not sure if it should be part of a new category or elevated to rating tag, but it’s one of those important tags somebody might want to know immediately if it is present.  
EDIT: looking at how other tags that call out specific kinds of content are handled, it looks like making it a rating tag is the correct course of action.
Background Pony #DC5B
@LightningBolt  
Why are “grimdark” and “grotesque” ratings then? Those are descriptors too, and highly subjective ones at that.

EDIT: Actually I have a better idea. How about an “extreme content” tag category which can include “foalcon”, “rape”, “scat”, “gore”, and the like?
Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Background Pony #AC0F  
Making foalcon a different color wouldn’t help in any way with filtering or searching, and would likely just lead to more tag wars when it comes to ambiguous art styles. Ratings are given a special color because they give you an overall appropriateness level of an image.

@Background Pony #AC0F  
This would just be an arbitrary collection of things, and would most definitely lead to unnecessary problems when people ask why their generic rape art is lumped in with foalcon, or their very vanilla foalcon is lumped in with snuff. A lot of the point of tagging is granularity, the ability to filter one thing but not the other; lumping things together really doesn’t do any good, and the reason ratings work is because they tie together concerns that other tags can’t necessarily capture easily.
Background Pony #DC5B
@LightningBolt  
@Princess Luna  
So… why are “grimdark” and “grotesque” rating tags? And if that’s the case what was the point of the species category? That doesn’t help with filtering or searching either. None of the categories do.

I feel like I’m just being shut down here, rather than actually having a discussion in the thread named discussion that is specifically for discussion =/ I thought this was the place to talk about these kinds of things without getting told to shut up and go away.
Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Background Pony #AC0F  
Grimdark and Grotesque relate to appropriateness in a slightly different way, but still deal with common levels of appropriateness, and aren’t super specific.  
Coloring categories is about separating them so that you can quickly see all of a given category as far as tags; foalcon doesn’t really have a category to go in, and the more categories there are, the less each means.
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

@Background Pony #AC0F  
I thought this was the place to talk about these kinds of things

Your proposals are in fact being talked about, they’re simply being dismissed as inappropriate for the site. “Discussion” =/= “everyone agrees with you”.

That doesn’t help with filtering or searching either  
I’m not sure I like that species tags are a different color now, but the tags themselves are extremely useful for a variety of reasons, especially when trying to track down specific images or groups of images related to characters who appear in both FIM and EqG, or who appear as other species in various fanfics.
OneMoreAnonymous

Requesting a mass-tagging, please. All pics with appleblitz, -appleblitz (straight), -appleblitz (gay) should have appleblitz (straight). Except maybe this one, which is ambiguous, but it would be the only appleblitz pic which doesn’t specify if it’s straight or gay.

Edit: looks like a few pics with (appleblitz (gay) || appleblitz (straight)), -appleblitz are obviously missing the appleblitz tag too.
зовущийАскет

Deer demiurge
…excuse me, if this question was already asked and answered, but how the “species” tagging algorhytm works? Why “spideer” with 3 pics is “brown tag”, but “eikerren” with 18 pics, one of which is reference with description about eikerrens, is not?
Yoshimon1
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

yay(){ yay|yay & };yay
@Damaged  
Usually yes, but in this special case the tags are sub-ships to the main appleblitz tag since both regular Applejack and R63 Applejack are named Applejack. appleblitz (gay) is male!Applejack x Rainbow Blitz and has all the implications. appleblitz (straight) is female!Applejack x Rainbow Blitz, but it’s still missing implications.  
…  
Oh, wait a moment…  
Huh. Ok. Small correction. At a second glance and judging by the implications, it actually seems appleblitz already is supposed to be just the straight ship, with appleblitz (gay) being a completely separate tag that doesn’t imply appleblitz. Both imply appledash, though. And there also exists an appledash (straight).  
So it’s exactly the same as other r63 ship combinations like twishy and its sub-tags buttershine, duskshy and twiscotch, after all, just with more confusing names.

Since it’s not used as a base tag, I guess we could just alias appleblitz <=> appleblitz (straight). And maybe add “For the other ship, see…” to the descriptions.
cheezedoodle
Roll for Initiative - For Patreon supporters
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - OC Tag Description Requests
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Silver Bit -

TagZombie: AC15, Atk +8
Ok, so this species tag category is for literally any kind of species of creature in the multiverse, like vulcans and crystal gems and orcs and morlocks and daleks and turtles.

It does not apply to plants, fungi, and the like?

Just want to be sure.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide