General Tag Discussion

Background Pony #7C7A
@Pulse Wave  
I looked only at the first page of images tagged pomf and already found few that don’t fit the tag description… Oh well.
Sff
Inspiration Manifestation - For Patreon supporters
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Bronze Bit -
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Happy Derpy! -

What does it mean?!?
Where does the line go for whether an image should be tagged with the spoiler:g5 or just the g5 tag? Seeing quite a lot of images that don’t have the spoiler tag, and can’t quite make out where the line should go.
Litrojia
Cottonwood Kindle - For supporting the site
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For hunting down artist when their names have changed
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

If another staffer doesn’t first, I’ll try to get through the other replies here soon.

@Sff  
At least for now, we’re trying to limit “spoiler:g5” (and the new spoiler:g5 movie) to images that depict or are based on G5 scenes. Character art isn’t being counted as spoilers. That being said, this isn’t being enforced consistently right now, may be too arbitrary for most users to pick up on, and the G5 tags in general right now are a total mess that we’re trying to sort out.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

I wasn’t sure whether this should be its own topic or not, so I decided to play it safe and post this here.

If deleting tags doesn’t damage the database, I have a few to report. Most of which come from myself, when I stupidly created unnecessary tags in the name of “accuracy” and “thoroughness” back when I uploaded my first fanarts. Because I’m an idiot.

The other two rely on assumptions on my part and may need clarification from whoever created them. There’s also my ‘original’ tag, a misspelling of Miko Miyazaki from when I was confirmed as an artist here.

implied eye poke  
implied canterlot  
starlight’s bed  
english is magic  
wiktionary  
globus’ europa

There may be more from the fanarts I asked to be deleted after I uploaded the updated versions, but the last one in the list is the only one I remember from back then.

sfw, which I guess stands for “safe for work.” In that case, obviously redundant with safe.  
flyging, which looks like a typo of flying to me.

mikomi yazaki, not that I expect the actual character Miko Miyazaki to get her second upload before a long time.
JP
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

I miss the show so much
@Knight of the Raven  
The “sfw” tag is one of my banes. Some uploaders insist on using it, no matter how many times you remove it and ask them to not use it.

IIRC I’ve asked a few times if it could be aliased to “safe”, but nothing has happened.
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
@JP  
Aliasing it to “safe” may not be a good idea since the general internet sense of “sfw” and the local definiton of “safe” do not completely overlap (the latter being stricter). We don’t want suggestive stuff automatically tagged safe, and we also don’t want people to develop mistaken ideas of what is “safe” or not.

Not sure if there’s a mechanism on the site to null-alias or flat forbid certain tags, but “sfw” would be a good candidate for that methinks.
Background Pony #103A
A lot of images like >>2067893 have the “bend over” tag.

Am I correct that these images are mistagged and should instead have the “bent over” tag, with “bend over” saved for images like >>2510940? Or is there some distinction between the two that I’m not understanding?
Litrojia
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Background Pony #7C7A  
I fixed all tags from within the past year and removed “reference” from images that also have “reference sheet”. I also added a description on “reference” mentioning “reference sheet”.

@NightStalker  
Done

@Pulse Wave  
Looks like someone added the implication to “pomf” but not “sproing”. That seems reasonable to me, since a lot of images under “sproing” don’t have the word spelled out. I also removed “pomf” from a few of them that shouldn’t have it.

@Markiz93  
Done and done

Semi-relevant, but older had this description:  
Used on images that show grown up characters (over 18) that are canonically underage (those within the MLP:FIM universe).

With many “older x” tags for fully-grown characters now implying this tag (ie. “older twilight”), I replaced this description with a more general one.

@Knight of the Raven  
For tags like these, deleting them entirely is excessive. I kept “starlight’s bed” and “wiktionary” because those could conceivably have some use.

In terms of “sfw”, I could see it getting some use in the way that nsfw (a similarly problematic tag that I just added a description to) does, though maybe it would be too much trouble. I wouldn’t mind forbidding the use of “sfw” if it were possible. Not sure if there’s any mechanisms built into the site, but I know Furbooru (which runs on the same code) has an invalid tag tag with assorted useless tags as aliases. Something like that could be done here, though maybe there’d be less use for it.
JP
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

I miss the show so much
but I know Furbooru (which runs on the same code) has an invalid tag tag with assorted useless tags as aliases. Something like that could be done here, though maybe there’d be less use for it.

We really should do that here. Assuming an outright tag black-listing is not possible. (I don’t remember if it is, I haven’t read through all of the code.)
Litrojia
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Background Pony #103A  
I retagged a lot of them to exclusively focus on images where “bend over” is said or very explicitly implied. I stopped with older images because it seems like it was a meme back then, so I’m not sure what to do with those.
Background Pony #7C7A
@JP  
The “invalid tag” would help, but it isn’t a perfect solution. Many people don’t recheck tags after changing them, so they wouldn’t notice the “invalid tag” tag.

A better solution would be tag errors/warnings. When you add (but don’t submit yet) a tag or tag combination that triggers an alert, you can not only see that there’s something wrong, but also what rule got triggered. For example there could be an error displayed when you add multiple rating tags at once or a warning when you add a tag that is commonly misused.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Litrojia  
Thanks for all the work you put in sorting tags out.

I did think some of these might stay around, precisely for the same reason. But as I said when I started posting, I leave the decisions to those who have experience. Who actually know what they’re doing.

And I’ll sollicit that experience again:

My non-native English speaker is showing, but what does off shoulder refer to, exactly? Wide-collared tops pulled to the side enough for one entire shoulder to show, whether there’s a bra strap involved or not, or the one-shoulder equivalent to bare shoulders?

I tagged my togas according to the latter idea, but I’m not sure that’s the right one.

Speaking of the toga, is there a tag for clothes that go over one shoulder and one shoulder only?

Bare shoulders as a whole really confuse me. No description, so I check the results to be sure, but you’ve got outfits like these two that make me wonder whether it’s supposed to be ‘absolutely nothing covering either shoulder’ or if straps and the like get a pass.

Another thing I’m constantly worried about is overtagging. Say I’m working on a picture with Rainbow and Sunset in their casual outfits from Spring Breakdown.

Beyond the obvious cruise outfit that describes these clothes as a whole, tanktop, pants, and (possibly short) dress seem sensible to tag, along with sandals if they’re showing and, I imagine, baseball cap and ponytail. Maybe cutie mark on clothes too.

But Sunset also qualifies for choker, bra strap, sequins, whatever her belt counts as (beads, maybe?) and Rainbow, for front knot midriff and wristband.

And of course, there’s also this whole deal with the magical geodes they wear on themselves at all times too.

So yeah. When does the search for accuracy stop and overtagging starts?
Litrojia
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Algebroot Neogears  
I don’t know. I removed it. They’re pretty obviously two separate memes.

@Brainless-Mind  
There isn’t. Someone else asked about it recently though (@ViewingPones, apologies for not getting back to that one) and there are a handful of images that would fit, so a tag might be a good idea. ViewingPones suggested “zebrakin”, which I’m not sold on because it’s a pretty rough portmanteau (“kirin” becomes “-kin”) and it mostly makes me think of otherkin. Any ideas?

@FliegerFaustToP47  
@Background Pony #52BA  
All might be able to be aliased? Though the “how do they work” tags (which should definitely be aliased) might be more for especially blatant situations.

@Background Pony #6D10  
Done

@saby  
I added the last two as implications, though not “standing splits” because that looks like a different pose to me.

@Knight of the Raven  
No problem! I love helping to tidy up tags whenever I have the chance (and free time isn’t always a sure thing), though it’s probably more accurate to say that I hate all the tag issues Derpi has and want them fixed :p

“Off shoulder” is an odd case. I’ve never heard of the phrase, so my first assumption was that it was meant for one bare shoulder but lost its meaning. However, apparently “off shoulder tops” are a thing, and a search for those shows outfits where either one or two shoulders are uncovered. Not sure whether “off shoulder” warrants an alias or a cleaning-up to narrow it down to one uncovered shoulder. And whaddaya know, off shoulder sweater (which implies “off shoulder” and includes one and two shoulders uncovered), off the shoulder, and off-shoulder top are all tags that apparently exist. That may need cleaning up.

There’s not really a clear point that tags become excessive. If I say here that a tag is excessive, it’s mainly based on my impression of whether a tag is useful compared to all the other tags that exist on the site. Anyways, as a rule of thumb, a tag is probably fine to use if it’s already has a lot of images. If you have to use a tag that doesn’t exist yet or only has a few images, double check that a similar tag doesn’t already exist and ask yourself (or the forums) if the tag is really necessary. All of those tags that you named seem fine to tag.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide