General Tag Discussion

FliegerFaustToP47
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Laß mich sterben
If it isn’t clear of Twilight Sparkle it’s drew as an alicorn or unicorn (Like a bust drawing where you can’t see her midsection or wings) should it be tagged “Unicorn” or “Alicorn”?

On that note, does the “Macro” tag applies when a character is visibly macro or when the character it’s already a macro?

Ex: An Orchid’s (A macro pony) image that has no visible indication it’s a macro should be tagged macro?
Litrojia
Cottonwood Kindle - For supporting the site
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For hunting down artist when their names have changed
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

Apologies for the great wall of text :p

@Brainless-Mind  
Nah. Having “cutie mark” for cases where they’re simply present would be useless. I know that’s a very common misuse of the tag, and maybe it should be cleaned up sometime, but it’s still more useful as-is.

@Algebroot Neogears  
The mecha ponies we saw in Pony Life are just robot ponies, and I think deserve at least an implication. However, there’s a few old non-Pony Life images that have the tag that may not be robots. Perhaps split the tag and have a new “mecha pony (pony life)” tag imply robot pony?

@Knight of the Raven  
Added descriptions to “palindrome get” and the related “index get” to clarify. Not super useful, but “fun” tags like don’t do much harm.

@saby  
Such a tag would be extremely useful for filtering purposes IMO.

@Knight of the Raven  
Agreed with LightningBolt that the definition should be changed so that “duo” and “shipping” are not mutually exclusive. As far as non-English vulgarity goes, I think that probably warrants the tag.

@Background Pony #52BA  
The definitions in Princess Luna’s reply are probably the ideal case, but it doesn’t look like anybody is following them. These tags need massive cleaning up.

@Background Pony #7C7A  
We probably don’t need separate tags for the direction the character is looking in. I imagine it would be too hard to enforce, even with a definition. They should be merged into another tag. As you said replying to Midday Shine though, there are a lot of different ways to look to the side, some of which may warrant their own tags. If so, tags need to be cleaned up and given definitions.

@Background Pony #84F6  
Seems reasonable. They’ve been merged into “daringsub”, which has been given a description and implications.

@Markiz93  
Added the “pony life” implication to every tag that implies “my little pony: pony life”.

@Brainless-Mind  
I gave them descriptions that include warnings about the other tag. Also added “clothes” as an implication of “transforming clothes”.

@Background Pony #52BA  
“human ponidox” applies to EQG as well as non-EQG humans. Also added the implication to “anthro ponidox”.

@Background Pony #7B7A  
I haven’t come to any conclusions since the last time you asked. Have you tried making a new thread for this yet? Copying and pasting your question into the same few threads many times won’t get many new people to see it.

@Background Pony #84F6  
“equestria girls, human coloration”, at least for now, is for humanoid characters with human skin tones but with a clear connection to EQG. Again, as Princess Luna, this may change soonish.

@Brainless-Mind  
Honestly, a new tag may not be necessary to create if a tag for it doesn’t exist already.

@Background Pony #84F6  
“enby” is not a commonly-used tag, so I just retagged all the images under it to “nonbinary”.

@Background Pony #52BA  
To me, all the images under “gothic” just look like goths and not like any other meaning of the word, so cleaning up or aliasing may be needed for that tag.

@lincolnbrewsterfan  
I’m hesitant since implications for sonas isn’t something we do and may dilute the meaning of “ponified” a bit.

@Background Pony #84F6  
Maybe not, since “wip” suggests that the image has or will be completed, while “unfinished art” doesn’t. Tough to see how they’re used in practice though, and I’m sure lots of WIPs get abandoned.

@FliegerFaustToP47  
For Twilight, don’t add “unicorn” or “alicorn” if it’s not obvious, and similarly don’t add “macro” if there’s no sense of scale.

@NightStalker  
Seems reasonable, but I’m hesitant to set the implication and add “equestria girls” to CHS images en masse since I’m not sure if the EQG tags will be redefined in the near future, as mentioned earlier.
Brainless-Mind

@Litrojia

Thanks for the help regarding the ‘cutie mark’ tag and ‘clothing transformation vs. transforming clothes.’

As for pony/hippogriff hybrids, I don’t know if a tag currently exists for that one.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

This talk just reminded me: what’s the difference between ponysona and self insert ?

If, say, a user named IWTCIRD drew and uploaded a picture of oc:iwtcird, it’d be both ponysona and self insert, but if someone else drew oc:iwtcird, it’d only be ponysona? Is that the difference? And one of the reasons ponysona doesn’t imply self-insert, even though that’s literally what they are from my understanding?

(I’m just being cheeky with the hypothetical name, I know that only a few ponysonas are that kind of self insert.)

@Litrojia  
No apologies needed towards me, this wall of text comes from answering all the requests tha had been pending for up to three weeks, haha!

Thanks for the descriptions. I feel several more tags could use descriptions—although I don’t have any in mind right now—especially that Derpibooru is quite international. Not everyone is fluent enough with English, or at least English internet culture and terms, to be absolutely certain of what a tag really means.

Most of the time, I only get a vague idea from looking at what showed up under the tag I’m unsure about, which obviously isn’t foolproof.
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
@Knight of the Raven  
Self-insert means you put yourself (to some degree) into a work through the expy of a specific character. It doesn’t have to be an original character either, I’ve come across plenty of fics with a self-insert Hermione. The term isn’t totally neutral, since if a character comes off as an obvious self-insert, maybe because it seems out of place in the setting, or because the work it’s in seems to coincide with the creator’s private fantasies, it’s rather cringey.

Ponysona is when you design a pony character based on yourself.

A ponysona is only a self-insert when being used as one.
Background Pony #84F6
What exactly is the difference between gallus the bantam cawk and gallus has a tiny dick?
Background Pony #84F6
@Litrojia  
Both unfinished and not finished yet are already aliases of wip. And on that note, “w.i.p” is an alias but the correct “w.i.p.” is not.
Roseluck

@saby  
Thanks for the thorough explanation!

I thought about writing this in this thread instead, but it’s probably better suited here.

Now that we actually have pegasus sisters—and protagonists at that—should Pipp Petals and Zipp Storm highjack pegacest? There would be (surprisingly) only 220 pictures to retag if that’s the case.

Or is pippzipp better? Yeah, not one week in and there’s already Princest is Wincest 2.0. It’s hilarious.

Or another name?

It’s probably unnecessary to change Flitter’s and Cloudchaser’s ship but, again, it’s only 220 pictures. So I guess there’s not too much cost to use that ‘opportunity’ (so to speak) if someone wanted it changed.
Princess Luna
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Knight of the Raven  
Personally, I’d rather “pegacest” and “princest” be removed at this point. They’re very odd names and now we’re moving on to another generation where the “pegasi” and “princesses” will be completely different characters.  
“Pegacest” also relies on some very specific interpretations of canon.
Algebroot Neogears
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Sci-fi & Dragons
Now that I think of it; Should the screencap from another series tag still exist? The only way I think it is used is if there is MLP stuff edited into the image, so it indirectly always needed to be coupled with the edit tag.

Another thing: Since the description of screencap mentions having to be official MLP content, does that mean game screencap and youtube screencap should also refer specifically to official MLP screencaps? It’s kind of unclear to me.
Background Pony #6DA6
I just wonder where is the point of being chubby, and then not anymore. There is one user that keep adding this tag to characters that are definitely not chubby at all.
Pulse Wave
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Busy procrastinating
@Knight of the Raven
Personally, I’d rather “pegacest” and “princest” be removed at this point. They’re very odd names and now we’re moving on to another generation where the “pegasi” and “princesses” will be completely different characters.

Or we make princest independent from which princesses are shipped with one another as long as they’re clearly from the same bloodline.
Roseluck

@LightningBolt  
I like pippzipp better too, but I thought I’d point out what I saw as an opportunity. Though Princess Luna makes a very good point here. G4 isn’t alone anymore.

I think we’re also supposed to discuss new ship names rather than someone going and making one up without feedback, but I forgot to mention that. If that’s the case, as I said, pippzipp works for me.

@Princess Luna  
Was this prompted by the inaugural pippzipp upload being tagged with princest, by any chance? The timing checks out, haha. And proves your point.

@Pulse Wave  
Would there be demand for the tag being used like this, though? Will there be people browsing for all princest ships, be it lunestia or pippzipp or whatever other royal sisters may show up in G5?

I need clarification about hats.

Epic Fails and Good Vibes; Spring Breakdown and I’m On A Yacht.Does Rainbow wear a baseball cap or just a cap in those? I’m not clear on the nuance between them in English.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide