General Tag Discussion

Background Pony #7C7A
Tags describing the Colt M1911 pistol need a cleanup.

These tags need aliasing:  
M1911  
Colt M1911  
Colt 1911

These tags need to imply M1911:  
Colt 1911A1 refers to an improved variant of the original design. Do we need to distinguish it from the original design?  
1911 R1S refers to the stainless steel variant of Remington 1911 R1 (basically M1911 made by Remington).  
Sig Sauer 1911 refers to Sig Sauer’s take on M1911.

Additionally there are Colt 45 and Colt .45 tags which contains pistols, beer and a revolver. It’s a mess. I’ll try to clean it up a bit, but I think it will need something more to discourage people from messing it up again. Edit: hmm, looks like some games might refer to M1911 as “Colt. 45”. Not sure what to do with it.

EDIT2: there’s also the AMT Hardballer, which is a M1911 clone. It’s called Silverballer in the Hitman games. IDK if it should imply M1911 or not.
🂾𝕃𝕚𝕟𝕔𝕠𝕝𝕟𝔹𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕣𝔽𝕒𝕟🂽
Best Fans Forever - For supporting the site
Nocturnal Vision - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Goodbye guys ;)
@Background Pony #5F92  
In the case of the guns with that tag, they are probably referring to the M1911 colt pistol. I think that’s why they may have been mistagged.

@Background Pony #7C7A  
These tags need aliasing:
M1911
Colt M1911
Colt 1911
These tags need to imply M1911:
Colt 1911A1 refers to an improved variant of the original design. Do we need to distinguish it from the original design?
1911 R1S refers to the stainless steel variant of Remington 1911 R1 (basically M1911 made by Remington).
Sig Sauer 1911 refers to Sig Sauer’s take on M1911.
Additionally there are Colt 45 and Colt .45 tags which contains pistols, beer and a revolver. It’s a mess. I’ll try to clean it up a bit, but I think it will need something more to discourage people from messing it up again. Edit: hmm, looks like some games might refer to M1911 as “Colt. 45”. Not sure what to do with it.

Second.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

Three inquiries today.

@radpanic  
Thanks for the answer.

That reminded me of another doubt I had earlier, but wasn’t answered.

Does Rainbow have a braid here or does she wear a headband matching her hair colors? It feels like a braid to me, however that’d actually work, but I’ve seen it consistently tagged headband instead.

While I’m at it, I’d like and some clarification about alternate hairstyle. Does it refer to hair and mane styles different from any canon appearance for a character, or just from their regular style? Do we tag all Equestria Girls screencaps where Rainbow Dash doesn’t have her inaugural hairstyle with alternate hairstyle?

The obvious answer to me is “yes, we do” but maybe I’m missing something. As usual, I suggest a description, unless it’s only me being a ditz and nobody else needs one.

And the big one… ‘default human body part’ tags and how are they supposed to be properly used? feet, hand, shoulder / shoulderS, legs, hips, armpits, nose, all these.

That sounds like a nightmare to define correctly, mind, even without the tags that are barely used (like the shoulders ones).

I feel even nothing more than a blanket (and better-worded) ‘don’t use these tags if these body parts are only there because they’re part of the body, e.g. full body pictures’ description would help. ‘Only use these tags when they’re the point or the focus of the picture,’ this kind of thing.

For more thorough distinction, like the differences between feet, foot focus and foot fetish (what brought on my musing was mistagging over that) or their equivalents with other body parts, I leave it to people actually familiar with the fetishes and the actual definition of “focus” tags.

I mean, I can’t imagine it’s fun to browse specifically for “feet” and most of the results are actually full bodies with the feet only being there because, full bodies.

legs and hips look like they’re often used in the sense of ‘dayum, she THICC.’ I don’t know about the first one, but for the second one, I suggest the description to at least mention that wide hips is probably what the tagger is actually looking for.

If nothing else, I’d like to know when I’m supposed to tag these ‘default body parts.’ I’m currently drawing a fanart that’ll show a belly button, for instance, but am I supposed to tag it? I wouldn’t tag nose or hips on the picture after all.
🂾𝕃𝕚𝕟𝕔𝕠𝕝𝕟𝔹𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕣𝔽𝕒𝕟🂽
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).

Goodbye guys ;)
Three inquiries today.
@radpanic
Thanks for the answer.
That reminded me of another doubt I had earlier, but wasn’t answered.
Does Rainbow have a braid here or does she wear a headband matching her hair colors? It feels like a braid to me, however that’d actually work, but I’ve seen it consistently tagged headband instead.

That’s a braid. It has all her hair colors in it😊
Yoshimon1
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

yay(){ yay|yay & };yay
@NightStalker  
There is, but it’s not just a simple setting. You’ll have to replace all tags you spoiler/hide with a new complex spoiler/hide filter that excludes my:faves.  
For example, say you spoiler “twilight sparkle” and “applejack”. You have to remove those from the Spoilered Tags field. Then, below in the Complex Spoiler Filter field, you add:  
applejack, -my:faves```  
Or in a single line:  
`(twilight sparkle || applejack), -my:faves`  
This now spoilers every image which is tagged twilight sparkle OR applejack AND is NOT in your favourites.  
Repeat for every other spoilered tag you have and then do the same for all of your hidden tags.
🂾𝕃𝕚𝕟𝕔𝕠𝕝𝕟𝔹𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕣𝔽𝕒𝕟🂽

Goodbye guys ;)
@NightStalker
There is, but it’s not just a simple setting. You’ll have to replace all tags you spoiler/hide with a new complex spoiler/hide filter that excludes my:faves.
For example, say you spoiler “twilight sparkle” and “applejack”. You have to remove those from the Spoilered Tags field. Then, below in the Complex Spoiler Filter field, you add:
applejack, -my:faves``` 
Or in a single line: 
`(twilight sparkle || applejack), -my:faves` 
This now spoilers every image which is tagged twilight sparkle OR applejack AND is NOT in your favourites. 
Repeat for every other spoilered tag you have and then do the same for all of your hidden tags. 

That’s a good tip, thanks 🙂
Litrojia
Cottonwood Kindle - For supporting the site
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For hunting down artist when their names have changed
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

@Background Pony #84F6  
Seems there’s a fair bit of overlap, though there’s some “bantam cawk” stuff that’s about his dick (or lack thereof) that doesn’t make reference to its size.

@Background Pony #84F6  
Good call. Maybe they ought to be aliased then.

@Algebroot Neogears  
There’s place for a tag like that. My impression is that the awkward tag screenshots has been used for that purpose, but it’s a mess.

I don’t think those latter two necessarily need to be from MLP media, though of course rule 3 still applies.

@Background Pony #6DA6  
I wouldn’t be opposed to more rigidly defining and maybe reworking weight-related tags at some point. They’re a mess right now, since there’s lots of different factors that distort impressions of characters’ weights from person to person.

@Knight of the Raven  
Bahahahaha I knew this would happen with the new royal sisters. Honestly I think we should just leave this and “royal sisters” be unless it becomes too much of a problem.

@Knight of the Raven  
If it’s not a standard hairstyle, it’s alternate. Off the top of my head, Starlight changes hairstyle partway through FIM, but neither style would be called an alternate hairstyle. They’re both standard.

I’m not sure if other staff agree here, but I feel that every body part in the picture shouldn’t be tagged, just stuff that’s focused on. That being said, I know barefoot gets a good amount of use in EQG (and should be applied to images even if not the focus), and that implies feet. Also, “feet” seems to exist for feet that are either in or out of focus.

For belly buttons, those probably ought to be tagged because it kinda says something about the clothing that the character is wearing too. Definitely tag it when on ponies, because it’s not really standard for them.
Background Pony #A4FB
There are almost 200 images tagged with futa eqestria girls. I’m guessing that’s a typo?
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@lincolnbrewsterfan  
@TexasUberAlles  
Thanks for the answers. And that’s an excellent point to explain it, TexasUberAlles.

I felt the same way, but as I said, I’d often seen it tagged as a headband instead… I think someone even retagged over my own braid tag once, if I remember correctly. So I wanted to make sure, especially that this is a Rainbow Dash I’ll likely draw a lot.

@Litrojia  
So “alternate” stands for alternate from standard, not alternate from canon. So, special occasions like the Grand Galloping Gala and the royal wedding for Friendship is Magic and, well, specials period for Equestria Girls. Thanks for the answer.

(Even if the latter’s Rainbow Dash could theoretically qualify for a second standard hairstyle, since it’s always the same ponytail and the same slightly different bangs, just with something different on top—some kind of cap or a braid—haha.)

I feel barefoot “ought to be tagged” for the same reason you gave for belly button: it refers to a character’s clothing in a sense.

I also feel the same way that the body parts should only be tagged if they’re the focus of the upload. Otherwise, if someone is looking for fetishes, art references or anything else… as I mention later, isn’t that what galleries are for?

As a whole, like many of my posts, this can basically be summed up with “TL;DR: add description plz.” It’s nice to know what one of the staff thinks on the issue, but that won’t help the people who didn’t check this particular thread this particular week to know whether they should or shouldn’t use this or that tag.

Even if it’s just “by the way, wide hips exists” to reuse that example.

@TexasUberAlles  
Isn’t that what user’s galleries are for, though? “Tags should describe the “facts” of an image, like the characters, their relationships, events happening, and the image’s composition,” according to the rules… they’re not here to serve as one’s personal galleries, especially if the reasoning is something like ‘I can’t be bothered to make an account,’ which I feel is the case about a few anonymous (re)taggers.

True, the cute tags throw a wrench into “tags should not be used to state opinions,” especially when used on screencaps—dashabetes looks more miss than hit to me when it comes to Equestria Girls_—but I imagine “facts” was put in quotation marks for a reason. It’s much easier to argue that an upload as a whole is cute, especially if that was the artist’s intent (as per “the artist’s intent takes precedence”), than it is to claim that a full-body picture calls for feet because someone has sandals that let some toes show through, or armpits because one character in a tanktop has her arms raised up.

Again, though, yeah. “Description plz.” Whether it’s “make a personal gallery instead,” “as a standard fetish, you _can
tag pictures with feet” or anything else, my question would be answered. If this specific body part tag (and others like it) is that useful to the site as a whole, the same way cute tags are considered much more useful than ‘tags aren’t meant for this,’ mea culpa.

Either way, I still suggest mentioning at least foot focus in the detailed description of feet, and the other way round, the same way solo and solo focus mention each other. foot focus should probably also imply feet, come to think of it.

And again, mentioning wide hips in hips (and maybe legs too) for when the tagger means ‘dem hips’ rather than ‘this upload shows mostly hips, dayum-pattern or otherwise.’
🂾𝕃𝕚𝕟𝕔𝕠𝕝𝕟𝔹𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕣𝔽𝕒𝕟🂽

Goodbye guys ;)
@lincolnbrewsterfan
@TexasUberAlles
Thanks for the answers. And that’s an excellent point to explain it, TexasUberAlles.
I felt the same way, but as I said, I’d often seen it tagged as a headband instead… I think someone even retagged over my own braid tag once, if I remember correctly. So I wanted to make sure, especially that this is a Rainbow Dash I’ll likely draw a lot.

No problem 🙂
Algebroot Neogears
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Sci-fi & Dragons
How would tagging the species of the Wild Siders work? They are basically unicornified versions of three different animals. Should they count as separate species? Or can they be tagged with the species they are based on?
Background Pony #4B0C
@Knight of the Raven  
The primary reason I tend not to use that tag is that I see it as very much like “eyes open” or “quadruped” in that it’s more of a “default state” (much more fanart tends to have ponies that quadruped than bipedal, have eyes open rather than eyes closed, or mouths closed rather than mouths open unless there’s something like dialogue), and thus those don’t tend to be tagged as it feels a bit “extraneous”.

(Although, admittedly, the majority that closed mouth has over open does feel a lot weaker than the other two; maybe other people can chip in on this discussion?)
Litrojia
Cottonwood Kindle - For supporting the site
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For hunting down artist when their names have changed
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

@Brainless-Mind  
While accurate, having multiple closely-related tags for this might be excessive. We’ve been merging a lot of “x mane” tags into “x hair” recently. Maybe something like that is warranted here too.

@TexasUberAlles  
Good point.

@Knight of the Raven  
As a whole, like many of my posts, this can basically be summed up with “TL;DR: add description plz.” It’s nice to know what one of the staff thinks on the issue, but that won’t help the people who didn’t check this particular thread this particular week to know whether they should or shouldn’t use this or that tag.

More tag descriptions are always a good thing, even though they don’t always get read. Lots of tags lack them.

Either way, I still suggest mentioning at least foot focus in the detailed description of feet, and the other way round, the same way solo and solo focus mention each other. foot focus should probably also imply feet, come to think of it.

Done. Not having foot focus imply feet was definitely an oversight, fixed.

And again, mentioning wide hips in hips (and maybe legs too) for when the tagger means ‘dem hips’ rather than ‘this upload shows mostly hips, dayum-pattern or otherwise.’

Looking through those tags, I don’t think I’d really be opposed to having them aliased. “hips” is essentially used in the same way as “wide hips”, I don’t think it would be useful as a “regular-sized hips” or “hips are present” sort of tag, and even if it was, people would use it to mean “wide hips” regardless.

@Algebroot Neogears  
I was hoping that would be addressed in the show, and while I haven’t gotten around to the last handful of episodes, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t. “bat”, “tiger”, and “peacock” is probably the way to go, and maybe throw the “horn” tag in there for good measure.

@Background Pony #4B0C  
Agreed with this. There’s lots of things that are taken for granted that could be tagged, but may make things pretty clunky if they all were. I think “closed mouth” falls under this umbrella, though if you want to tag it, it’s not really a problem.
Background Pony #52BA
@FliegerFaustToP47  
The few images with it tagged /mlp/ or 4chan use it in the sense of a “general thread”, a megathread centered on a particular topic or character. Derpibooru has a forum for that, too but none of the images tagged generals look like they reference it.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide