General Tag Discussion

Algebroot Neogears
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Sci-fi & Dragons
There are a lot of used obscure “x in the comments” tags, many of which obscure and some I feel may have seen under-usage. Got to admit however I didn’t expect to see the empty background pony takeover in the comments tag near the top of the list, among the more popular used tags.

I was only thinking about this because I was searching to see if there’s a variant for rhymes (which there is).
catachromatic
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Artist -

@Rainboom Dash  
In the first image, the yellow eyes and teeth paired with the warmer pink of her coat make it look like the image has some lighting that may be messing with the exact hue of the eyes. Digitally editing it to remove that yellow cast reveals that the darker portions of the eye are much closer to the original color than it originally appears. I think the purple-y bit of the eye was intended to be a highlight.  
full

@Tarkan809  
Would “Weston” be a character tag?
Or perhaps “Weston (G1)”?

I think there’s a thread for stuff like that here but I think Weston should be a character tag.
Rainboom Dash
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!

Rainbooms4Ever
@catachromatic  
After some thought, I think even if 100% of her eye is straight purple then it still shouldn’t be considered “wrong eye color”

For about a third of Starlight Glimmer’s eye it’s pretty much a shade of 50% purple, 50% blue… the rest is much more blue than that but overall I think there’s enough purple that if someone draws Starlight Glimmer with 100% purple eyes, it shouldn’t be tagged wrong eye color
Background Pony #0299
@Background Pony #F935  
It’s hard to say now, but it was either began as a tag to mark very unoriginal OCs which later got used sincerely by some users thinking it would ward off theft of their character designs, or it was always the latter and I don’t think anyone’s ever taken it seriously. Either way, there’s a lot of overlap between it and the more clear parody tag donut steel.
Background Pony #52BA
@Rainboom Dash  
Yeah, IMO because artistic license is a thing, “wrong eye color” only ought to be used when it’s clearly way off, except maybe in the case of an accuracy-focused vector, or screencaps of mistakes in official media.

@Dragonpone  
Are “comic” namespace tags treated specially, or isn’t that how redraw/ponified memes are usually tagged? Like, “sailor moon redraw meme” implies “sailor moon” even though the pictures aren’t from (or even necessarily depict) Sailor Moon.
Background Pony #52BA
@FliegerFaustToP47  
IMO it should be for literally fluff on the hooves >>2688094 >>2687794 or short but extant fetlocks >>1522582 >>1702740, but that sure doesn’t seem to be how people are using it. Or maybe it was just overlooked, because “fluffy hooves” is aliased to “unshorn fetlocks”. There’s also fetlock tuft to contemplate…

My disappoint continues to be immeasurable that “unshorn fetlocks” wasn’t reserved for the meme >>34265 >>20581 with something else used for the anatomical feature itself.
Rainboom Dash
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!

Rainbooms4Ever
@Background Pony #52BA  
I’ve already tagged a few Starlight Glimmer images in the past with purple eyes as “wrong eye color” as apparently it’s VERY common for Starlight Glimmer to have 100% purple eyes in artwork.. even though the average of the eye is far more blue than purple

But I won’t tag it in the future
Dragonpone
Unamused - Derpi Supporter
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Badge Dragon
@Background Pony #52BA  
Even if they should keep the tag for referencing the comic (which seems like it defeats the purpose to me, since the point of those tags is to organize comics), it would still need a separate tag for the meme specifically anyway.
Background Pony #52BA
@Background Pony #52BA  
Following up on this question, because I was logged out for a moment and saw that some unedited screencaps were spoilered for “abuse” with the default filter. On the same principle that unedited screencaps are “safe” by definition, should unedited screencaps never be tagged afoul of the default filter?

I actually think I’d disagree with that - while I think almost all of those posts are too tame or cartoony to warrant it, a few like >>2183144 or >>1084620 do give me that uneasy feeling…

But that still leaves things like >>2509782 without a definition to point to (and I feel comfortable assuming it really shouldn’t be called “abuse”)
Background Pony #52BA
mawshot
Short description: image with a view into a character’s mouth

It’s really defined so loosely? I would have expected it to depend on being a major feature/focus of the image.  
So, >>2657722 and >>2692316 are correctly tagged with it?
Background Pony #7C7A
@Background Pony #52BA  
Well, if the show depicts abuse, I think it should be tagged “abuse”. It can be tagged “safe” because the level of abuse is low enough that it was deemed acceptable for kids’ show.

@Background Pony #52BA  
I agree that the definition should be narrowed.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
Honestly in a lot of cases it seems that the taggers are confusing physical comedy with bullying.
Background Pony #52BA
@Background Pony #7C7A  
In that case, I suppose the default filter should be adjusted to try to not warn against unedited official material?

@LightningBolt  
@Ciaran  
Well, tags are for informing, and to facilitate seeking and avoiding.

I assume people use these to seek or avoid things***** being treated badly. That’s subjective, though - I could imagine for example, as a stretch, someone might even think “this pic does not actively depict my preferred ship” = “those characters are being denied love, that’s bad treatment!” I mean, as a stretch of reasoning, not that it’s a stretch to think someone might have that mindset. I’m not even a mod and I’ve seen how certain comments go…

After having a think about it, I feel like major traits of “bad treatment/abuse” are mean-spiritedness, repetition or density, and severity. These can apply either in a direct content/context sense, or in a meta sense (eg. a particular artist or a particular requester/commissioner generating a lot of targeted content).

• Something like illustrations of fanfic:cupcakes would be high in severity of content, and high in meta repetition (in context, it happens only once…I think…?)  
  • Something like a montage or collage of every show moment where a particular character gets hurt could get elevated to “abuse” status because even though it can’t be repeated any more than it was in the show and they’re not very severe at all (low physical or emotional injury), it’s focused (density) and likely indicates whoever made it is spreading some malice.  
  • Something like a comic where there’s a war happening, even severe injuries or deaths could be low on the mean-spiritedness aspect because they have justification, they aren’t senseless. Even that’s subjective, but I hope you get what I mean. It’ll depend more on the specifics.  
  • fluffy pony abuse and abuse edits are basically the opposite of that.  
  • Something like Jargon Scott and friends’ teasing of Gallus seems to me like medium across all 3 aspects and worthy of tagging.  
  • A picture of a character looking sad with the caption “worst pony” is not, and if that genuinely makes someone feel bad, they should do some introspection.

*“Things”: characters, categories (eg. “changelings”), objects (eg. “plushies” or “merch”), or anything at all (the plain abuse tag).
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #52BA  
For myself, I was just referring to examples where unedited screencaps were tagged “abuse”.

But, yeah - there are tons of examples where some people are putting together intentional “character abuse” images or sequences, whether that is an edit of a screencap or original art, and I believe those should absolutely be tagged “abuse”.
Background Pony #52BA
cutting implying self harm  
…ok, I can see why that’s an important implication. But boy is it causing a lot of accidental tagging. Is there a recommended alternate tag to use for for non-self-harm-cutting-of-things?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide