General Tag Discussion

TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

@LightningBolt  
And yet, Parcly still has a Duck badge– and got run out of the Teachers’ Lounge– for doing exactly that.

It just doesn’t really seem like it serves much of a purpose to add wings to every single image featuring a Pegasus or bird or Draconequus or Hippogriff or Breezie or

My next plans are to release the limits of duo and trio to allow shipping as there’s no reason to be restrictive  
All in favor of this, that particular restriction never made much sense when anyone searching for something specific could just add [-shipping] to their search.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@TexasUberAlles  
That was not what his issue was. Not explicitly on the surface on simple basic implications. Nobody is saying you need to tag these things, completely and fully optional, but they do not hurt anyone or anything to be there either. Also people use the site differently, perhaps someone wants to simple look at images with wings in them without typing in 15 species tags and syntaxing out instances they may not have wings, with a lot of room for error. It is much easier to simply look for wings and seeing a variety of wings to look at for reference. Is this helpful to the average person? No, but it does not harm the average person and is monumentally useful for some people. No different to tagging genders even if we, the viewer, know a specific character is female already, it is monumentally easier to just search female and find all females.

The goal of removing arbitrary restrictions isn’t to add 500 tags to every image, and sometimes those 500 tags are legitimately useful, or to force people to tag more, tho the average person really does need to tag better, but it is to make things less restrictive and simpler and give more options for generalized searching.

I could not tell you how useful it is to search basic things like stallion or flying or horn when looking for references of specific things without having to type in the names of 500 characters. It isn’t there yet, but you must understand that everyone searches for different things and filters out different things.
Background Pony #52BA
@Panko Pai  
discarded clothing, for situations like your link. It wouldn’t apply for some other situations of unworn clothing, eg. a rack of Rarity’s dresses in her boutique.

@LightningBolt  
No one is tagging eyes or ears as appendages but there is literally nothing problematic about tagging wings, horns, and tails.
I don’t understand your point here? It seems like you’re saying that some incidental body parts are worth tagging and other incidental body parts aren’t? Do you have some kind of guideline for what should and shouldn’t get tagged?  
Tagging is a lot easier, less stressful, and friendly to others when things are more straightforward and less filled with arbitrary limitations and rules.
I remain confused.

@TexasUberAlles  
@LightningBolt
And yet, Parcly still has a Duck badge– and got run out of the Teachers’ Lounge– for doing exactly that.
Who? The what? I don’t get the reference.

@LightningBolt  
They kind of do harm, though. At least, for me, when I run into a wall of tags, my eyes kind of glaze over and I no longer can pick out anything that might actually be interesting to notice without significant concentration. Maybe if the site were able to sort very basic fact tags to the end, like it moves important tags such as characters and artist to the top…
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@LightningBolt  
@Background Pony #52BA  
I agree with #52BA that some guidelines would be nice. I asked about wings and horn six months ago precisely because there’s none of them. If you want people to tag the three tags you mentioned because they’re useful for art references well, it’s a good idea to mention that in their detailed descriptions. Like duo (currently) specifies it’s not supposed to be used on shipping pictures.

(Happy to see the restrictions on duo and trio will (hopefully) be removed by the way.)

Because people don’t follow guidelines when the only way to know they even exist is in the depths of a 14,000+ posts thread in a forum they might not even bother with. Yeah, not everyone will bother reading the description, but you’ll still get more people to comply than if there was none.

I suggest also mentioning why it’s useful, even if it’s only “useful when looking at art references,” because I feel it’s easier to remember you’re supposed to tag something when you know why you’re supposed to.
LightningBolt
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
I’m really not sure where the confusion and complaints about wall of tags come from when I mention literally 3 tags. Keep in mind all the bloated ‘fun’ tags we have that are far less objectively useful and far more bloated. I often remove them all from a image if I am tagging it as I just cannot keep track of important tags when there is 15 says to say sexy on an image and zero genders tagged.

If you think wings and horn and tail are bloat tags, then so is every single variation of busty and sexy and cute puns. Yes I do know many people use them,. but I wanted to cite an example of things that get in my way.
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
@TexasUberAlles  
I would prefer to preserve “funny”, “cute”, and “sexy” to contain the apparent need for a lot of people to be able to tag their own art something reaffirming.

But I WOULD nuke their every twee iteration. Especially “stupid sexy” snowclones which seem to be overwhelmingly mistaken for “stupidly sexy” and have no connection to the original meaning.
Algebroot Neogears
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Sci-fi & Dragons
But I WOULD nuke their every twee iteration. Especially “stupid sexy” snowclones which seem to be overwhelmingly mistaken for “stupidly sexy” and have no connection to the original meaning.
What’s the difference between the two (if there is any)?
Background Pony #52BA
@LightningBolt  
It’s because the discussion started from your mentioning having added implications; something that directly impacts tag-walliness, even just 3.

Which, OK, fine - implications make tagging easier for hierarchical tags, which…upon reflection, is exactly like the case here.

But on the other side, these are somewhat more redundant than other cases of implications; if I see “multicolored wings” in the tags, I don’t really need to see “wings” in the tags. Furthermore, a tag like “wings” is useful from a searching perspective, but a tag like “multicolored wings” IMO has more informative content-discovery value: something a viewer might see and think, “oh, I hadn’t really thought about that, that’s interesting, I’ll go see what other images have that.”

For the “harm” side of things, I thought of a better example than my personal shortcomings: when mousing over a thumbnail, there’s only so much length to the tooltip it’ll display, and it’s a hazard that extra tags of larger, often-thumbnail-evident features like legs or wings* may bump smaller-detail tags into the overflow.  
* except they’re alphabetically sorted, but you get what I’m trying to say

…which brings me back to my idea that especially simple tags (admittedly a subjective valuation) could be de-promoted in the sort order of tag display. To get extra fancy, they could be sent to the end only if a tag that not only implies it, but almost literally contains the same text, is also present…
LightningBolt

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Background Pony #52BA  
Or, people could just tag properly and not add 50 bloat subjective tags for every character in the image along with 50 other ‘joke’ tags because “it’s funny lol” and I’ve wanted tag categories for genders and sexualities for ages now but we can’t always have what we want.

My point is, don’t take out your issues with the tagging system and display on wings. I assure you, tagging wings is the least offensive thing I’ve mentioned here, and if people actually wanted to look at things beyond “one extra tag is too much aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa” I would like to go over the specific wing and horn styles I’ve added implications to and trim some down as I simply went after existing tags with more than like 5 results and no doubt some of them are redundant or improper.

No idea how “hey these tags exist :)” lead to this. I will take some blame but seriously, you try to add or remove tags from an image with 50 variations of busty and ass tags and you’ll want to nuke the nearest city out of frustration.
Background Pony #0299
@NightStalker  
I think that might have more to do with whoever is uploading these, I think one person may be behind many of the recent uploads and their tagging often seems a little bare.
Background Pony #52BA
@Background Pony #52BA
I would like to go over the specific wing and horn styles I’ve added implications to and trim some down as I simply went after existing tags with more than like 5 results and no doubt some of them are redundant or improper.
Ah, that answers something else I was wondering and yes, I was planning to follow up on a few of those too.

Should wing ears really imply “wings”? After all, the point kind of is to be symbolic and not actual implements of flight, or doesn’t that matter? If not, winged shoes ought to imply “wings” too.

Is wing spreading distinct from spread wings or should it get aliased like all the others?

Am I right to interpret wings down to be drooping or loosely-hanging wings, and not merely folded wings? eg. that these >>2660622 >>2653324 >>2700581 >>2606396 should not be tagged “wings down” and instead should be tagged “folded wings”? (Also, should basically every neutral picture of a pegasus get tagged “folded wings”? >_>)

tempest now has a true horn should imply tempest gets her horn back. On a related note, should tempest with sombra’s horn be tagged alongside “tempest gets her horn back”? It’s…only kind of hers. evil laughter in the distance

horn poke should also imply poking

compact horn seems to be almost exclusively used for Blackjack from Fallout Equestria, which I’ve not read. Is that a particular phrasing used in it? Otherwise, isn’t it close enough to alias into small horn (which is also used on many pictures of Blackjack)? And for that matter, what about short horn?

power break and power snap are exclusively on the same images - which I noticed when looking at horn lightning, which itself is on those same images plus one more. “horn lightning” is either undertagged (eg. it’s not on >>148497 >>148389 >>152431 >>480138 >>341696 >>1629600 >>2004771 >>2041931 >>2363646 >>2402669) or non-notable as just an element of the dark magic FX. “power break” and “power snap” don’t seem like they’re signifying anything of note, either…

@LightningBolt  
@Background Pony #52BA
and I’ve wanted tag categories for genders and sexualities for ages now but we can’t always have what we want.
This is something that might be doable with browser extensions, especially in the post tag list if not the thumbnail tooltips…I’m looking into it.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #20A8  
Well, generally I think if someone edits out something, that means they decided they second-thought that part of the post. So maybe if the poster no longer thinks those are a good idea then … you know … let’s just ask.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide