General Tag Discussion

Background Pony #52BA
@saby
The best I’ve thought of is “scrapbook aesthetic”, but it seems pointless to tag it unless there’s a term that’s recognized across multiple sites, not just here.
In searching for what might be relevant, though, I was led to wonder what exactly should collage be used for? There are some posts that seem like outliers, where it’s used to mean “pasted onto a different background” or for “lots of elements in one image” (but not assembled from separate images)
Background Pony #52BA
@Markiz93
“cutie mark background”, agreed. “Cutie mark on human”, I don’t think so, because the description for the “cutie mark” tag says:
This tag should be used when a Cutie Mark is a major focus of an image. Either as the background or is significant to the picture.
Not to be used just because it happens to exist in the image.
…and nothing about “cutie mark on human” suggests it’s a major focus of the image.
On the other hand, “cutie mark on clothes” and “cutie mark on equestria girl” already imply “cutie mark” and IMO shouldn’t for the same reason, so what do I know..?
By the way, it looks like the “cutie mark” tag needs removing from a lot of images.
GlitchedWolf
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

Derpbooru Free Edition!?
@Markiz93
@Background Pony #52BA
@Background Pony #E764
I’ve removed the cutie mark implication from cutie mark on equestria girl and cutie mark on clothes, as neither mean the cutie mark is a focus of the image. As for cutie mark background, I think it could be added as the description says cutie mark tag can be used when the background is a cutie mark, and looking through the tag most images seem to fit that.
This tag should be used when a Cutie Mark is a major focus of an image. Either as the background or is significant to the picture.
Not to be used just because it happens to exist in the image.
🂾𝕃𝕚𝕟𝕔𝕠𝕝𝕟𝔹𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕣𝔽𝕒𝕟🂽
Best Fans Forever - For supporting the site
Best Fans Forever - For supporting the site
Nocturnal Vision - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Goodbye guys ;)
@saby
The best I’ve thought of is “scrapbook aesthetic”, but it seems pointless to tag it unless there’s a term that’s recognized across multiple sites, not just here.
In searching for what might be relevant, though, I was led to wonder what exactly should collage be used for? There are some posts that seem like outliers, where it’s used to mean “pasted onto a different background” or for “lots of elements in one image” (but not assembled from separate images)
Scrapbook aesthetic is a good term, but I think you’re right.
PUBLIQclopAccountant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
  1. (subdividing into two)
    1. I agree that alternate design and alternate character design ought to be merged.
    2. I now see your point on why alternate character interpretation wouldn’t fit my set. Do you know of any tag that would be useful for highly-abstracted art that signifies the presence of a character? Something that would cover both my set and sex-implying blocks to signal that the inclusion of character tags is intentional even if their visual presence is not obvious?
  2. Perhaps neural network could be a subset of all computer generated images and other techniques could have their own respective tags (yes, neural networks aren’t the only way to teach your computer how to draw ponies). Both computer generated and machine learning currently have few enough images that even an unofficial redefinition is feasible (rather than a redefinition with moderator backing).
  3. What would you think about if a new CSS class was added for medium? traditional art, computer generated, screencap, neural network, names of specific NNs, watercolor (implying traditional art), etc…
    I still like the ai: prefix for the specific AIs, even if they’re still treated as ordinary tags.
Background Pony #52BA
Found another tag for a particular source of “AI”-generated art: neural blender

1. I now see your point on why alternate character interpretation wouldn’t fit my set. Do you know of any tag that would be useful for highly-abstracted art that signifies the presence of a character? Something that would cover both my set and sex-implying blocks to signal that the inclusion of character tags is intentional even if their visual presence is not obvious?
I don’t think there is, or really needs to be, such nuance. You already have modern art, surreal, and abstract art (but not abstract*) on them…if you feel super-paranoid about it, you could even use barely pony related but I don’t feel that’s warranted.
I didn’t even realize you meant sex-implying blocks as an actual tag - I thought you were talking about tags like “male” or “stallion”. But, now that I checked it, I do remember having come across it before. kek
*Looks like there are several pics tagged “abstract” that probably shouldn’t be…
  1. What would you think about if a new CSS class was added for medium? traditional art, computer generated, screencap, neural network, names of specific NNs, watercolor (implying traditional art), etc…
“screencap” is already categorized as an origin. But as for the rest, I wouldn’t be opposed to it. It faces the problem where digital art has been treated as a default and thus intentionally ignored for tagging. Anyway, no idea if it has whatever level of importance is needed to justify making a tag category.
Blissful690
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Violet Frost Fan
Since there’s no topic about OC tags in general, I think we should alias oc:obabscribbler into oc:scribbler.
Reason - oc:scribbler currently has 6 more uses than oc:obabscribbler.
PUBLIQclopAccountant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
@Background Pony #52BA
I keep having ideas on what I want to reply to you but can’t seem to structure them into a coherent whole, so bear with my word vomit.
You already have modern art, surreal, and abstract art on them
I did not add the modern art tag. That was an implied tag from abstract art
barely pony related tag
Of the images you listed, the only ones I’d see that qualify for that are the flutterfractal (which is a fractal rendering that just so happens to use Fluttershy’s iconic colors) and >>1498344 (I wouldn’t know that it is at all pony-related without reading the image description)
tag search for category:origin
TIL about searching for tags by category. The bulk of my original intended response was going to be for “meta tags” but categories already exist and cover the use case I’d propose, so bear with the long list of questions.
  1. Is there a way to search for all categories (sorted, of course, by the number of tags belonging to each)?
  2. Is there a help document about tag categories or will I need to read through the Philomena code to learn more?
  3. Can a tag belong to more than one category?
  4. Is there a full hierarchy of implied and aliased categories like there is for tags? The reason why I called my idea “meta tags” is that they would function just like tags except for tagging other tags instead of tagging uploads.
The heart of my post was going to be the idea of creating three category roots that would contain all other tag categories (my idea only works if categories can be nested and tags can belong to more than one category):
  1. visual tag: these tags (or subcategories) describe what is physically in the image. sound and no sound would both count in the visual category.
  2. intent tag: these tags and subcategories specify the artistic intent. category:gender would belong here, while the specific category:body part tags would each be a visual tag. Another good example would be disguised changeling in an image that otherwise has no visual indication of the presence of a changeling.
  3. meta tag: information about the image. absurd resolution, image for breezies, category:artist, category:file format all belong here.
However, a number of important tags (and categories) would fall under two of the above at once:
  • character tags and and not Character tag are both a visual tag and an intent tag. Same with the transgendertag.
  • Any tag in the artistic medium category is both a visual tag and a meta tag
So where am I going with all this?
As I’m 90% sure I mentioned (and 98.9% certain that someone discussed at length) in the thread on This Pony Does Not Exist tagging, tagging images that aren’t obvious representational art causes tagging snarls because highly-abstracted images create art where the visual and intent elements are not in obvious alignment. Images that look like Rainbow Dash but are not, in fact, Rainbow Dash exist (hence the not Rainbow Dash tag) as well as images that imply an off-screen Rainbow Dash (implied Rainbow Dash, as it were) and also images that include Dashie’s on-screen presence in spite of looking nothing like RD herself (the images we’ve been discussing and anything with the sex-implying blocks tag are in this classification).
Background Pony #52BA
tag search for category:origin
TIL about searching for tags by category. The bulk of my original intended response was going to be for “meta tags” but categories already exist and cover the use case I’d propose, so bear with the long list of questions.
  1. Is there a way to search for all categories (sorted, of course, by the number of tags belonging to each)?
A. Check every tag that has a category until you stop finding new categories. B. Nope. :\
  1. Is there a help document about tag categories or will I need to read through the Philomena code to learn more?
I wrote a little bit about them here:
“Tag categories are only loosely and indirectly documented. Their existence, and that you can use it as a parameter for searching for tags, is noted at the bottom of the tag list/tag search page. The current list of categories in use is listed on the API documentation page, of all places…
There’s at least 1 category not listed on the API page: body-type (eg. “anthro”)”
So, not good documentation.
  1. Can a tag belong to more than one category?
I don’t know for sure, but I doubt it.
  1. Is there a full hierarchy of implied and aliased categories like there is for tags? The reason why I called my idea “meta tags” is that they would function just like tags except for tagging other tags instead of tagging uploads.
I don’t know for sure, but I doubt it.
…visual and intent elements are not in obvious alignment. Images that look like Rainbow Dash but are not, in fact, Rainbow Dash exist (hence the not Rainbow Dash tag) as well as images that imply an off-screen Rainbow Dash (implied Rainbow Dash, as it were) and also images that include Dashie’s on-screen presence in spite of looking nothing like RD herself…
Yeah. But, it can go way deeper (or would it be broader?) than that. Like…a rainbow dash plushie looks like Rainbow Dash and is intended to evoke Rainbow Dash but isn’t intended to be Rainbow Dash. Or the parent: tags. Or one of my bugbears, what to do about “fusions”. The site doesn’t support associative tagging or non-global hierarchical tagging, leading to attempts to make lots of combotags like [character] cat, [character]betes, not [character], shipping tags, and so on.
I feel like your proposal is sort of on the right track, but ultimately, just another behind-the-scenes, requires-moderator-implementation system. Perhaps it’d be too complex for the layuser, but if it was possible to do things like existing:(pony:(pegasus:(rainbow dash, fluttershy))), (photo, implied):(griffon:gilda), female:(rainbow dash, fluttershy, gilda), speech bubble:(rainbow dash, offscreen:(twilight sparkle)) or whatever, then we can take care of it ourselves.
*tag graph ends up looking like a conspiracy board*
ehhh…maybe.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide