General Tag Discussion

Background Pony #7E8D
NSFW
do we really need a happy sex tag if all it’s ever used for is to be added to images that have nothing to do with being happy while doing the dirty?
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
@Background Pony #7E8D
It’s widely used on watchlists and filters so yes, it’s needed. If you have complaints about tag misuse, please point to specific examples so staff can do something about it.
Derpibooru
STARLIGHTTT - :)
TRIXIEEE - TRIXIE BEST PONY

@Background Pony #7E8D
That misuse is tied to a certain individual who turns up every now and then to evade their ban and acts in a very recognisable pattern. Unfortunately trying to prevent their activity would also prevent a lot of legitimate activity by all other users, but staff has tools to revert their actions efficiently as soon as it’s reported.
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
NSFW
i noticed that there seems to be a large list of “Nudist X” tags for various characters. Im wondering if those tags are worth keeping up and having implications added, or should they get scrapped?
Since at a quick glance they only see to be added to image of said characters naked (and only seem to be maintained by mostly BGP’s), i feel like it’d be lot easier to get results of those types of images if you just type in “x character, naked” in search rather then make a whole nudist tag for every character
Background Pony #52BA
@ichiban iceychan 1517
I’ve seen those and wondered the same. To add: I can’t really tell if their current/user-intended application is really for “nudist” (a philosophy/lifestyle choice, A.K.A. naturalism) representations of the characters, or just…the character shown nude, like for a pinup.
If it’s the latter (and in which case, the prefix “nude” would be better wording than “nudist” IMO), I could see it having relatively wide applicability to designate “which character is nude”. But I also feel like that’s not difficult content to find already, without needing combo tags.
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@ichiban iceychan 1517
Or “character, nudist”, since all nudity isn’t nudism.
Speaking of which, there’s quite a bunch of “sex”, “bath”, and “shower” pics tagged with “nudist” something tags, which seems odd considering having sex or washing oneself is usually done in the nude.
I think people are mistaking casual/chill/non-embarrassed nudity with nudism.
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
@Background Pony #52BA
Again a quick glance at the images tagged seem to show that it has nothing to do any sort of nudist lifestyle, and more just seems to be used for images that have the character naked
It feels like it’d be a waste to try sbd make a “nudist” tag abs implications for every character, would feel too specific and redundant when you can just search for “naked, x” and get results faster
Background Pony #7C7A
@ichiban iceychan 1517
I guess they should be removed, but not yet. That’s because some of the images tagged “nudist whatever” don’t have any “nude”, “nudist” or “nudism” tag. Just look at this search.
Also apparently there’s a “complete nudity” tag. It should imply “nudity”.
And shouldn’t “nudism” and “nudist” be merged? I do believe “nudism” is the better name because it can be used on images which mention or imply nudism, without depicting any nudists.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

This feels like people using tags instead of galleries to me. Like the ‘sci-twi is a turboslut’ that was mentioned here once or the variety of ‘[character] is a bitch’ tags I’ve seen around. I admit I’m not sure about the usefulness of ‘character tags is X’ as a whole, unless you somehow need to be distinct between characters.
Plus mistagging, there seems to be a lot of it as mentioned. And then there’s using it as a joke
(a philosophy/lifestyle choice, A.K.A. naturalism) representations of the characters, or just…the character shown nude, like for a pinup.
I think people are mistaking casual/chill/non-embarrassed nudity with nudism.
Looking at what’s under nudist, yeah, most feel like they should be tagged with casual nudity or even just nudity instead. Or maybe exhibitionism, which is described as “nudity in public places” regardless of intent.
Philosophies and lifestyles also don’t strike me as something that shows on the picture unless stated or implied, like Tree Hugger going “clothes are a prison man”). I feel the ‘rightly tagged’ number would be very low, assuming it’s not already covered by one of the tags I mentioned.
Also apparently there’s a “complete nudity” tag. It should imply “nudity”.
And shouldn’t “nudism” and “nudist” be merged? I do believe “nudism” is the better name because it can be used on images which mention or imply nudism, without depicting any nudists.
I agree on both counts. For the staff’s easy access;
Background Pony #52BA
@Roseluck
AFAIK, galleries cannot be added to/curated by more than one user, so if a tag has at least a couple different users tagging it with any frequency, a gallery couldn’t quite substitute for it.
And of course, only moderators could tell whether tags are actively in use for filtering or watching purposes.
I guess they should be removed, but not yet. That’s because some of the images tagged “nudist whatever” don’t have any “nude”, “nudist” or “nudism” tag. Just look at this search.
Hm, moreover, I see a lot of images that ought to be tagged “nudity” but aren’t (this search is not perfect but should be useful)
A lot of these seem to come from tags that imply other tags that normally imply nudity, but don’t on their own - for example, “erection” implies “penis” but not “nudity” (though “penis” itself does), or “nipple piercing” implying “nipples” but not “nudity”. Most of these omissions are, unfortunately, probably correct, because what they indicate could be visible through clothes. People using them in tagging may just overlook that they’ll still need to tag “nudity” or another more top-level tag.
Some cases have even been people removing the tag “nudity” (like, real people, not the tag troll) when it clearly applies. There might be some misunderstanding about its meaning?
Sounds good.
Background Pony #52BA
The latest design of Fluttershy is turning into a little bit of a mess.
Should these be tagged metalshy or flutterpunk? From the video, I got the impression it was a death metal band she was going to see, but people seem to be insistent about tagging this new style with a punk tag. The vibe I’m getting is that people just don’t know what a punk look is.
And now it’s got goth on it too. I give up. We might as well just alias flutterpunk and metalshy together. People seem completely unable to tell the difference between them.
Did this ever get a decision made? It doesn’t seem to have been sorted out for them to be non-synonymous (in tag usage, not in word meanings).
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

AFAIK, galleries cannot be added to/curated by more than one user, so if a tag has at least a couple different users tagging it with any frequency, a gallery couldn’t quite substitute for it.
I meant in the sense of creating tags for “personal organization” rather than mechanics. That’s what “nudist X” feels like to me, because like ichiban iceychan 1517 said, all it takes to get similar results is typing some sort of “X, (casual) nudity.”
Some users may add the tag just because it’s there and they’re (over)trying to be ‘accurate,’ like me when I first joined Derpibooru. Newbie ignorance might be another reason “nudist X” tags showed up/multiplied in the first place, too.
A lot of these seem to come from tags that imply other tags that normally imply nudity, but don’t on their own - for example, “erection” implies “penis” but not “nudity” (though “penis” itself does), or “nipple piercing” implying “nipples” but not “nudity”. Most of these omissions are, unfortunately, probably correct, because what they indicate could be visible through clothes. People using them in tagging may just overlook that they’ll still need to tag “nudity” or another more top-level tag.
Yeah, Litrojia once told me implications of implications don’t carry over. Sure made me thorough about tagging my uploads.
Some cases have even been people removing the tag “nudity” (like, real people, not the tag troll) when it clearly applies. There might be some misunderstanding about its meaning?
I once asked why “nipples” implied “nudity” when they could show in a “topless” picture (aka, wearing pants), because I somehow mistook “nudity” to mean COMPLETE nudity, assuming it to be the opposite of “partial nudity.” Maybe that’s why?
Background Pony #7C7A
@Rainboom Dash
It seems to me that people create many “character something” tags because they just cannot comprehend that it’s possible to search for multiple tags like “character, something”.
saby
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@Rainboom Dash
Good grief, there’s actually three distinct uses…
  1. original [RD sad] [book] [RD happy] meme format
  2. instances of RD, reading
  3. allusions to the tv show (?) Reading Rainbow
dzamie
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

I’m kinda surprised that “Queen Hissalis” isn’t a tag for… something queen-bug-related. Her being angry, or a snake, or something. It seems like a fun pun.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide