General Tag Discussion

Deserter
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

This cykas my blyats
So, I’ve noticed there’s a BP that’s adding a “nudist [X]” tag in a lot of pictures, even when there’s no context for nudity, or even worse, it’s nudity in a regular context, like during intercourse or while showering, which doesn’t count for nudism.
Background Pony #7C7A
@cheezedoodle
Thanks! :)
I have another conundrum: conical hat, coolie hat, rice hat and even Chinese hat (which is now empty, but someone will likely use it again one day). They all refer to the same Asian hat. I think “conical hat” is an unfortunate tag name because without reading the description, it makes it seem like it’s applicable to any conical hat. I did make this mistake earlier. Since Wikipedia uses “Asian conical hat” as the main name, I propose we also make it the main tag and alias all the others to it. It is very descriptive, even without a description.
EDIT:
kasa is another related tag. There might be more tags using Asian names for these hats.
PUBLIQclopAccountant
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
What’s going on with the timpani tag? It seems that there are more images of some ponifed Doctor Mario character than there are of actual kettle drums or pauken.
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
im wondering if the tag is worth keeping or is it worth deleting?
Becuase AFAIK the dress is never given a name or any importance in the series,nor do any of the other characters have a tag dedicated solely towards the outfits they wear, plus this feels more like it’d be better suited for a gallery instead of a tag.
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
  • added by 10 users within the last 6 months
  • clear scope
  • used objectively, seems to be applied to any relevant picture without bias
I don’t see any reason to get rid of it. It’s an iconic outfit. We even have a couple images of other characters wearing it.
Btw we do have multiple other similar tags: Twilight’s birthday dress, constellation dress, jester dress, stained window princess dress and second coronation dress, Lemon Zest’s zest best dress, Jessica Rabbit’s famous red dress, and Rarity’s mermaid dress and her carousel dress.
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
@saby
Loong into the tag history, even though other people have added the tag it only really seems to be 2 users that are adding the tag to everything, which again makes it feel more like it’d be better for a gallery (especially since one of them already has a gallery for EQG outfits)
and as for the other outfits, all of those are just one off outfits that have appeared in only one scene/episodes, this outfits is just the default outfit Rarity wears for the EQG shorts and i don’t see what makes her outfit come across as more special then any of the other default outfits the EQG characters wear, especially since iirc we already have a tag dedicated solely for the EQG outfits (also the “zest’s best dress” tag is again only being added and maintained by the same guy as before, and i don’t see what makes Zests dress more special then the other outfits)
Also none of the other EQG cast have tags dedicated solely towards the default outfits they wear in the series to my knowledge, it just feels unnecessary IMO that Rarity’s outfit has a whole tag dedicated to it while the others don’t.
Algebroot Neogears
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Sci-fi & Dragons
I believe incorrect leg anatomy’s description implies something that doesn’t fit entirely with its list of images:
Missing or reversed joints and other such anatomical errors. Applicable regardless of degree of anthropomorphisation - both horses and humans have same amount of joints in the limbs. For humanoid legs on otherwise quadruped characters, use semi-anthro instead (and don’t forget to remove pony if it refers to same character)
Through a combination between that definition and what the term looks like: If both hind legs on all onscreen characters bend like a human’s, then it should be considered semi-anthro instead of incorrect leg anatomy, no matter how odd the “forelegs” look.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@icicle wicicle 1517
Then add tags for the others. (hyperbolic) It’s not like they can’t exist, they’re not opinions and they hurt no one. Being added by one or two people isn’t a reason to dismiss them when they’re not opinions. You have to look at it like that. If you see a tag that you suspect is a waste of time, ask yourself, if it an opinion, or is it a fact? Rarity’s dress is a fact.
Imo I’d just rename it to remove her name so it can serve a universal purpose, but staying just for her isn’t hurting anyone either. It can prove useful and isn’t bogging down the tags with opinions like ‘sexy’.
Background Pony #52BA
this outfits is just the default outfit Rarity wears for the EQG shorts and i don’t see what makes her outfit come across as more special then any of the other default outfits the EQG characters wear, especially since iirc we already have a tag dedicated solely for the EQG outfits
I do sort-of share this point of view…like, it seems more sensible to tag “missing accessory” if Apple Bloom doesn’t have her hair bow, than to tag “apple bloom’s bow” on nearly every picture of Apple Bloom - because then, how would I find a picture of Apple Bloom’s bow just sitting there (not an “accessory swap”, and Apple Bloom might still be in the image, too), or getting tied on, or something else of interest? Surely we don’t need an “apple bloom’s bow focus” tag; just use the tag when it’s not merely incidental.
But, the EqG cast do wear different outfits, so it’s not quite the same situation. As for “why this one and not others”, who knows why some people find something to be particularly notable - maybe because Rarity’s character is associated with fashion?
@LightningBolt
I had a whole rant written up about how “factually correct” is not sufficient to justify a tag, by itself, but, whatever.
It’s just one of several factors that help judge if a tag is a “waste of time”.
Anyway, “rarity[’s] peplum dress” seems fine.

I’ve got a question, too.
When should a year be used as a tag? Normally, I think of adding year-tags when the picture refers to a year directly, in accordance to the principle of “tag what’s in the image”. The focus of my question is that I’ve seen the year a picture was originally posted - especially if making its way to Derpibooru much later - get added as a tag. Is that proper?
Background Pony #7C7A
@Background Pony #52BA
IMHO the date the picture was originally posted should be a metadata field on Derpibooru, not a tag. It could even be scraped from the source (or file metadata) when uploading pictures.
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

I do sort-of share this point of view…like, it seems more sensible to tag “missing accessory” if Apple Bloom doesn’t have her hair bow, than to tag “apple bloom’s bow” on nearly every picture of Apple Bloom - because then, how would I find a picture of Apple Bloom’s bow just sitting there (not an “accessory swap”, and Apple Bloom might still be in the image, too), or getting tied on, or something else of interest? Surely we don’t need an “apple bloom’s bow focus” tag; just use the tag when it’s not merely incidental.
The various [character’s accessory] tags really should be reserved for images where they’re not the one wearing it, or it’s the sole focus of the image; applejack’s hat belongs on images where Rarity is wearing it or cropped screencaps of it and the like, not every single got-dang image of Applejack behatted as per usual.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide