General Tag Discussion

Background Pony #52BA
@LightningBolt
Humans gonna human.
I thought it might have been one of several tags for “[specific character] being more than just sexual, but extremely sex-positive/promiscuous”…the first one like that I can remember was sluttershy which is probably older than Derpibooru. But, the tag in question does seem to be used almost totally (although not exclusively) by one person and IMO not everything that gets tagged with it really fits.
Because they’re too horny to learn how galleries work.
I wondered whether it predated when galleries were implemented. But in this case, nope.
Meanlucario
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Time to get spooky
I just had some tagging weirdness happen. When I was uploading an image for the event, it didn’t suggest the artist tag Artist:Meanlucario (my own tag and one I even follow) and the tag for the event, Canterlot Wedding 10th Anniversary. Neither of these tags are blocked by my filter, so I have no idea why they wouldn’t show up under the suggested tags. They counted when I submitted the image at least.
Background Pony #52BA
@Brainless-Mind
Well, Nightmare Cadance already has implications set up and is used 3x as much, and Nightmare Heart sounds like it could be for Flurry Heart (although there is nightmare flurry heart for that), so…Nightmare Cadance.
@UnderwoodART
Commissioner tags can be useful for associating related content and granting credit for ideas, although how useful/relevant that is may vary quite a bit depending on how specific a commissioner tends to be.
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@UnderwoodART
Commissioner tags are useful for three things:
  • allowing users to follow commissioners whose ideas/concepts they generally like
  • allowing users to filter commissioners whose ideas/concepts they generally dislike, especially if it’s difficult to otherwise filter such as a certain mood
  • to satisfy some people’s need to credit themselves on art they paid for, in a way that will not cause trouble with authorship tracking.
Fun fact: one of the most filtered non-rating tags on the site happens to be a commissioner tag. It’s also heavily followed.
Background Pony #7C7A
@Meanlucario
Since some time ago, suggestions for some tags don’t appear even if the tags are used over 100 times. For example, when I wanted to tag >>2853269 with “shackles”, the suggestion did not appear. Same with “alternate version”. More tags have this problem, but I don’t remember which ones.
UnderwoodART
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Just Another Pink Pony
I appreciate the replies to my post; I’m shocked that this is the first time I’ve seen a commissioner tag before, given the feedback. I’m still getting used to the details of tagging. I think this is an instance where a separate colour could benefit distinction (or the same blue as artists and editors).
I have a new question, though. I’ve just found the 2022 tag, and I’m a little confused as to its purpose. Given its size (263), it can’t be applied to all art drawn in 2022, yet only a handful directly refer to 2022 in the art. I assume that it’s only valid for the latter, but people seem to be using it to archive their uploads by period.
Secondly I’d like to restate my interest in a “meme” designator, to clearly define specific templates. For example, the hnnng tag is used by people to express their feeling about the art, not just art of the implied meme; art OF the meme should be tagged as meme:hnnng. Similarly, there is a the tag, which the meaning of is very unclear without a meme:the quantifier. There are plenty of other memes that are easily mixed with expressions or words, making meme-specific art hard to track, while also showing context to a meme that viewers might otherwise not know is one.
In a similar vein, I think ships need a quantifier too, as the words they make can be quite confusing, especially between OCs. If not applying a ship: prefix, then enforcing an identifiable symbol like applexdash apple/dash might work too.
Update:
I’ve just discovered another problem. rpg supposedly exists for “role playing game”, but I’m seeing images for “rocket propelled grenade”. I suggest changing rpg to the full version, while also aliasing rpg-7 into rocket launcher, to allow that to come up while tagging. (eg. >>2799383)
JP
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

I miss the show so much
In a similar vein, I think ships need a quantifier too, as the words they make can be quite confusing, especially between OCs. If not applying a ship: prefix, then enforcing an identifiable symbol like applexdash apple/dash might work too.
Yes. This. I’ve made the same suggestion here not long ago.
Background Pony #52BA
I appreciate the replies to my post; I’m shocked that this is the first time I’ve seen a commissioner tag before, given the feedback. I’m still getting used to the details of tagging. I think this is an instance where a separate colour could benefit distinction (or the same blue as artists and editors).
There are a bunch of other, similar prefixes, too: photographer (because the “artist” might be for something in the photo, like a plushie-maker or a cosplayer), editor, colorist (I wonder why most are categorized but some aren’t?), writer and author (IMO these two should be unified)
…and I also wonder whether “commissioner” is really the right word, because unpaid requests aren’t really commissions but would have the same purpose to tag.
I have a new question, though. I’ve just found the 2022 tag, and I’m a little confused as to its purpose. Given its size (263), it can’t be applied to all art drawn in 2022, yet only a handful directly refer to 2022 in the art. I assume that it’s only valid for the latter, but people seem to be using it to archive their uploads by period.
Secondly I’d like to restate my interest in a “meme” designator
I agree something like this could be beneficial, whether it’s a prefix meme:X or suffix X (meme)
UnderwoodART
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

Just Another Pink Pony
Since classical unicorn implies features like leonine tail, shouldn’t griffon also imply leonine tail, beak, wings, etc? unicorn should also imply horn, and pegasus, wings.
ZONESS
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@UnderwoodART
NO. Not every little anatomical detail needs to be or should be added to an image, and furthermore think for a moment how common it is for all of those anatomical details to not be visible image to image.
As for leonine tail, I protest, that tag was made for ponies specifically because the hairless unicorn tail became popular outside of classical unicorns and we needed something to tag that with. I expect a griffon to have a lion’s tail, I don’t expect any random pony to have one therefore I can see it as nothing but clutter on a picture of a griffon.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide