General Tag Discussion

Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Brainless-Mind
You’re supposed to make a new thread for simple requests like ‘alias this’ or ‘merge that,’ as the Read First topic mentions and the entire rest of this board shows.
Some requests can still take weeks or even months because the mods and assistants are people with lives and stuff to do too, but at least they’ll be aware there’s a new request without needing to comb through this whole thread to realize there even was one.
Background Pony #52BA
@NICOGAMER3000
source needed should be used when the source of the image is a mystery.
There are some cases when a picture might not have a source, shouldn’t have source needed, and also shouldn’t be tagged derpibooru exclusive:
  • Suppose someone commissions a drawing, and posts it on Derpibooru. They might have received the image privately, and it’s not found anywhere else on the internet except Derpibooru. However, it’s not derpibooru exclusive because that tag is defined as being only for images uploaded by the artist.
    If the commissioner uploads the image and writes in the description or makes a comment that they got it directly, then it’s not a mystery what the source is.
  • Some things are self-evident or unimportant where they came from, like screencaps or basic memes, as Ciaran mentioned.
It’s not completely as simple as “is the source field blank”:
  • An uploader might have put garbage in the source field (like “http://google” - though on that one, I think they did it because the original source is now a dead source).
  • Or, maybe the uploader forgot what was on their clipboard, and pasted in a link that’s for some other image entirely.
  • Or, maybe it’s a link to an aggregator site like Pinterest, which is certainly not where an image originally came from, even if it’s where the uploader found the image - in which case, you could also use the tag better source needed.
  • Or, maybe it’s a useless source url, such as a direct link to the image file instead of the web page where the image was posted, or a link to the main page of a user account (such as on Twitter) instead of directly to the post containing the image (such as a specific Tweet. Good luck scrolling down to page 84 or whatever to find it…)
Litrojia
Cottonwood Kindle - For supporting the site
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artistic Detective - For hunting down artist when their names have changed
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

The various parent tags implying hippogriff is very questionable to me. The parents of these are one pony and one griffon, which assumes that the offspring of these characters must be drawn as something that could be described as a hippogriff. Most, if not all, of those tags have non-hippogriff offspring in them. Not to mention that the site doesn’t add species implications to character and shipping tags due to species swaps.
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

source needed is definitely one of the most underutilized of tags, but yeah, there are so many situations where it’s not warranted that it wouldn’t really be appropriate to make it a default.

RIGHT?!

Twotter is even worse about it because if you use uBlock Origin to kill their garbage “Sign in now! tee hee!” popovers, it won’t even let you scroll down more than two screens.
Background Pony #52BA
@saby
It’s not even just endless scrolling - a paginated feed is just as useless because the page something is on will change as new things get posted. (But yes, endless scrolling is annoying in other ways too.)
Twotter is even worse about it because if you use uBlock Origin to kill their garbage “Sign in now! tee hee!” popovers, it won’t even let you scroll down more than two screens.
That’s when you use an extension like Stylus to clobber the CSS. At the moment, html { overflow: initial !important; overscroll-behavior-y: initial !important; } is what I have going for Twitter.
(Or, one of several Nitter-based Twitter proxies)

@Litrojia
Huh yeah, that’s pretty strange.
A lot of it seems to have originated in this thread starting at this post but I can’t find any earlier discussion where the cited tag “parents:giltavia” was set up with it.

@Brainless-Mind
And yet, I still don’t see that you’ve made any threads with the alias suggestions you had…
NightStalker
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

If an Equestria Girls character (ie, a human-shape character from the movies with the green/red/blue/whatever skin colour) is drawn as a normal human, with standard skin colours, how exactly is that meant to be tagged?
Humanized?
Equestria Girls?
JP
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

I miss the show so much
I once reported this in the site bugs thread, but it didn’t go anywhere, so I’ll try it again here.
In the quick tag box, episode 9x12 has a wrong tag for it, “the last crusade (episode)”. The correct one is just “the last crusade”. Looking at the tag change history, this has caused lots of confusion.
(IIRC there was some other incorrect episode tag in the box, but I can’t find it right now…)
Background Pony #B985
Hi! I recently noticed that the [kabuto](https://derpibooru.org/tags/kabuto) tag has been variously used for the Pokémon species, the TV series Kamen Rider Kabuto, and the type of helmet.
So should we have a separate kabuto (pokémon) species tag, like with Slowpoke? (only 5 of the images under the kabuto tag are Pokémon-related, but still)
Background Pony #B985
(also I might have screwed up some of the formatting with that first code block so yeah)
NeutronStar
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Oh…
I didn’t consider the “there’d be riots” explanation… Why do people often tend to react to things so dramatically in this fandom… lol
But still it seems like the best idea would be to use the most popular name then: it’s a fandom site, not the official Hasbro MLP site. So it would make sense to have the tag’s main text as the name the fandom generally prefers. :)
I do agree with what Dragonpone said there in the thread you linked:
I will once again express my opinion that in these cases we should either go into poll overtime or flip a coin. A lot of unnecessary double tags, often including very low tag count characters.
Except, usually it’s easy to tell which name would be most preferable: Bon Bon and Berry Punch should be the main tags, for example. :)
FliegerFaustToP47
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Laß mich sterben
Um, hi… Just wondering, is there a tag for those… Erm… ‘Fried egg eyes’? Like those cute cartoon eyes when someone’s about to cry and their irises deform from their original rounded shape:
I think teary eyes doesn’t show those pics, but they’re more like this:
Background Pony #52BA
@FliegerFaustToP47
I use eye shimmer for both wobbly-wavy eyes and for animated fluctuating eye highlights. This can be sad, happy, proud - it’s just for the eyes’ appearance.
There’s teary eyes for when there’s a little welling orb of tears but they’re not outright streaming-down-the-face crying.
about to cry is similar, but situational.
If it’s really out there (pun intended), there’s melting eyes.
Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@NightStalker
@Roseluck
Changed (us not tagging human on EqG from the start was a mistake, this fix to it was a long time coming mostly stemming from a rethink of series tags related to Pony Life and IDW messes). You should probably still use “human coloration”, but you can put “human” now. It should not be tagged “humanized”.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Princess Luna
Thanks. So if I understand correctly;
1) For people who want only EqG-style humans, all it takes is the equestria girls series tag in the search bar since regular humans wouldn’t use it. Plus NOT human coloration too if they don’t want that.
2) For people who want only regular humans, all it takes is NOT equestria girls in the search bar since EqG-style humans (hopefully) will have their series tag. Unless they want human coloration.
3) I should add human to my previous EqG uploads and also to my next ones.
4) EqG screencaps/edits should be tagged with human (provided there’s actually a human obviously, i.e. not the pony-world parts of the movies/specials).
Thanks again for the answer and all the work. Even with mod mass-tagging tools, well, it’s work rather than leasure alright.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide