"Text" tag

Tagging Discussion » "Text" tag Search Posts
ZXNFQT4

I feel like I’m misunderstanding the “Text” tag. I have the tag hidden on my default filter because I’m not really interested in screencaps of Twitter posts or greentexts uploaded as images. Sometimes, I notice that I can’t see the featured image, swap to a different filter, and see that the featured image has a caption or a line of dialog on it. Based on my understanding, those things have different tags, so I removed the “Text” tag from such images. The current image of the pony doing the math lady meme is an example of this.

Thing is, this happens somewhat regularly, and I’ll occasionally come back later to find the tag re-added. This causes me some doubt. Am I misunderstanding the tag, and it should be applied in those situations? Am I on point and should continue as I have been? Should I just butt out in general and leave tagging to people more official than I? I want to understand!
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
You might wanna filter out text only or more specific tags instead of just adding or removing the tag from images you like and don’t like.
ZXNFQT4

@LightningBolt

I- This has little to do with whether or not I enjoy the pictures in question. What I’m confused about is why images such as the current featured image have the tag on them when the description of the tag is “The bulk or meaning of these images (e.g. screenshots of Twitter posts) lies in words.” I’m not sure it matches, but I seem to be wrong?
Brokedownandmadeone
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Equality - In our state, we're all equal here!

BigThirsty ponybooru.org
@ZXNFQT4  
I’d recommend linking some examples. If there’s images with a small amount of “text” on the image that’s supposed to be from a speaking character, dialogue is what it should be tagged with. Not text. Still don’t get why that tagging keeps getting misinterpreted and incorrectly applied.

See related threads: Speech vs Dialogue  
“Dialogue” tag clarification
ZXNFQT4

@Brokedownandmadeone  
full  
This is the most recent example I have and what prompted me to make this post in the first place. Based on my interpretation of the description of the tag, I have my doubts that this image needs the text tag. dialog also doesn’t seem to apply.

Another example that doesn’t seem to need text or dialog would be  
full

It seems like the text tag has come to mean “any words on an image”, which is different than “The bulk or meaning of these images (e.g. screenshots of Twitter posts) lies in words,” which the tag claims to mean. Ultimately, this doesn’t really matter, but it could be changed on either side. Either text could be embraced to mean this while text only means what text used to, or one could attempt to wrangle the current meaning of text back under control. I should really emphasize, though, that this doesn’t really matter. I’m just one confused person who wishes things made more sense.
Brokedownandmadeone
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Equality - In our state, we're all equal here!

BigThirsty ponybooru.org
@ZXNFQT4  
(For image previews from on-site, the syntax would be >>2120230p (>>2120230) and >>2350117p (>>2350117) respectively)

I’d argue that the 2nd one might qualify for the text tag because the text implores the viewer to read it and follow the directions. Though yeah, it doesn’t exactly take the “bulk of the meaning” of the image. That’s actually a grey area for the use of the tag.  
What annoys me is that the text tag is getting added to several images that would qualify for the dialogue tag instead.
ZXNFQT4

@Brokedownandmadeone  
(Ah, thanks. I don’t post often, so this formatting is pretty foreign to me.)

Fair. It is a bit grey. I’m not sure how to clarify the definition, or what good it’d even do to do so. I highly doubt anyone feels like going on a crusade to re-tag images based on a new definition of text. Even then, I don’t know how much it’d matter since others wouldn’t know and would continue to tag based on a previous understanding.

Either way, I guess I’m glad not to be alone in my confusion/annoyance at the text tag. Cheers, mate.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide