Viewing last 25 versions of post by Princess Luna in topic The Accessory Tags

Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
This reminds me of many old tagging ideas, like not tagging "unicorn" on images of unicorns from the show, only OCs, or such.

I get the idea behind it (not wanting the mundane stuff that you usually don't want to find), but ultimately I think it's misguided because it behaves bizarrelly when you start to consider other cases.

To use "applejack's hat" as an example:

- I want to find hats besides Applejack's, but in searching "hat, -~~applejack's hat", I find...a bunch of images of Applejack wearing her hat, and that's not what I want.
-

~~
I want to find images of Applejack without her hat, and so if the tag is omitted when it's on her head, then I can't find these images at all.

- In one episode, Chrysalis disguised as Applejack, wearing her hat; should this be tagged Applejack's hat? This question is thorny if there's an Applejack-exclusion, especially since the hat is destroyed and thus the tag "applejack's hat death" _*must_* apply...it'd be very odd for an image to be tagged with that and not with the tag for the thing "dying".

Both the searching cases clearly have a point, and to solve the first with the exclusion, you would need to not tag "hat" on Applejack wearing her hat...but for the second, you _*would_* need to tag "hat" on it. Thus, there is a point to not having the exclusion.

Furthermore, the intended "normal" case is easily satisfied with a negation on Applejack. Ultimately, this goes back to fundamentals onf how tagging is supposed to work; we want granularity, wherebyto we can meaningfully hoospecify a tag being present or not to change the images we get, so it's best _*not_* to encode exclusivity in, as it effectively is forcinges an exclusion on Applejack that we can't get rid of, removing oura choices to find images.
No reason given
Edited by Princess Luna
Princess Luna
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
This reminds me of many old tagging ideas, like not tagging "unicorn" on images of unicorns from the show, only OCs, or such.

I get the idea behind it (not wanting the mundane stuff that you usually don't want to find), but ultimately I think it's misguided because it behaves bizarrelly when you start to consider other cases.
To use "applejack's hat" as an example:
- I want to find hats besides Applejack's, but in searching "hat, -applejack's hat", I find...a bunch of images of Applejack wearing her hat, and that's not what I want.
- I want to find images of Applejack without her hat, and so if the tag is omitted when it's on her head, then I can't find these images at all.
- In one episode, Chrysalis disguised as Applejack, wearing her hat; should this be tagged Applejack's hat? This question is thorny if there's an Applejack-exclusion, especially since the hat is destroyed and thus the tag "applejack's hat death" _must_ apply...it'd be very odd for an image to be tagged with that and not with the tag for the thing dying.

Both the searching cases clearly have a point, and to solve the first with the exclusion, you would need to not tag "hat" on Applejack wearing her hat...but tfor solve the second, you _would_ need to tag "hat" on it. Thus, there is a point to not having the exclusion.

Furthermore, the intended "normal" case is easily satisfied with a negation on Applejack. Ultimately, this goes back to fundamentals on how tagging is supposed to work; we want granularity whereby we can meaningfully specify a tag being present or not to change the images we get, so it's best _not_ to encode exclusivity in, as it effectively is forcing an exclusion on Applejack that we can't get rid of, removing our choices to find images.
No reason given
Edited by Princess Luna
Princess Luna
Economist -
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar

FTor use "applejack's hat" as an example:
- I want to find hats besides Applejack's, but in searching "hat, -applejack's hat", I find...a bunch of images of Applejack wearing her hat, and that's not what I want, unless "hat" is to not be tagged for AJ wearing her "normal" hat.
- I want to find images of Applejack without her hat, and so if the tag is omitted when it's on her head, then I can't find these images at all.
-
In couldne uepisode, "Chrysat"lis disguised as Applejack, wellaring foher hat; should this, bute thatgged cApplejack's hat? This question wis thorny if the re'so an Applejack-exclutsion, toespecially since the prevhat is destroyed and thus; *these ctag "applejack's hat death" _must_ cannopply...it'd be very odd for an image tho be solvtagged with theat exclusiviand noty winth plthe tacg for the*.
-
Ithing odying.

Both th
e separching casode,s Chclearlys halve a poisnt, andi to sguolve the first, you would need to not tasg "hat" on Applejack, wearing her hat;...but to shouldve this be taggsecond, Appyou _would_ nejed to tack'sg "hat?" Thon ist. qThues, tionhere is a pointh tor nyot havifng there's an Applejack-exclusion.

Furthermore, the intended "normal" case is easily satisfied with a negation on Applejack. Ultimately, this goes back to fundamentals on how tagging is supposed to work; we want granularity whereby we can meaningfully specify a tag being present or not to change the images we get, so it's best _not_ to encode exclusivity in, as it effectively is forcing an exclusion on Applejack that we can't get rid of, removing our choices to find images.
No reason given
Edited by Princess Luna
Princess Luna
Economist -
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar

I get the idea behind it (not wanting the mundane stuff that you usually don't want to find), but ultimately I think it's misguided because it behaves bizarelly when you start to consider other cases.
For example:
- I want to find hats besides Applejack's, but in searching "hat, -applejack's hat", I find...a bunch of images of Applejack wearing her hat, and that's not what I want, unless "hat" is to not be tagged for AJ wearing her "normal" hat.
- I want to find images of Applejack without her hat, and so if the tag is omitted when it's on her head, then I can't find these images at all. I could use "hat" as well for this, but that clashes with the solution to the previous; *these cases cannot both be solved with the exclusivity in place*.
- In one episode, Chrysalis disguised as Applejack, wearing her hat; should this be tagged Applejack's hat? This question is thorny if there's an Applejack-exclusion.

No reason given
Edited by Princess Luna