Blazing Dusk [fic drabble, spoilers: Rainbow Rocks, mildly NSFW, quality: not quite]

Scarcity

The lovely >>737751 (merged) inspired me to write this. I originally wrote it in a comment there, and noticed the “safe” rating on the picture a little too late. I’d like to thank soundtea, Otaku Brony, and a background pony for their constructive criticism and praise. A shout-out also goes to the moderation team for their quick reply to my report. I present this “story” with a few alterations.

Sonata fell to her knees next to the closest thing she ever had to a friend. “So… I guess that’s that,” she said as she settled in next to Aria and stretched her legs over the edge of the stage. She was back to normal, after a brief magical slide into her old body, her own body, even though hers here felt so natural after what seemed like a new lifetime blinking big liquid-soft eyes and pulling armwarmers over two hands and putting one booted foot in front of the other.

Aria didn’t move. She continued lightly hugging her knees and cradling her head in the opening between her arms. “Yeah. We sucked,” she said, her voice echoing from between her legs.

“No way! They sucked! We were so close!” Sonata slid a little closer to Aria, just close enough to feel the girl’s warmth on her bare arms.

“They do suck.” Aria’s shoulders heaved and sank with a deep breath. “We almost did it.”

Sonata tucked her microphone back between her conveniently built-in microphone holders and regarded her armwarmer-clad arms like they were someone else’s draped over her frame. “Do you think Adagio will ever come back?” she asked into her lap, stretching her arms just to watch them move.

Aria didn’t notice. “Do you honestly care? She was mean to you like, every second,” her voice echoed.

“Huh.” Sonata leaned back a little. “I guess I don’t.”

Aria finally lifted her head to reveal rivulets of eye makeup and smudged lips. Sonata’s mouth fell open. I’ve never ever seen her cry!

“I guess we can go home if we want to,” said Aria.

It was Sonata’s turn to go still. “Maybe this is like home now.”

“Seriously?” For maybe the first time ever, Aria’s scowl softened to worry. “You’d give up magic for this? You wanna stay here?” Her worry hardened to a sneer.

“Okay, promise you won’t make fun of me if I tell you this.” Sonata looked away, back toward the dwindling crowd.

“No way would I ever promise that.” Aria’s lips turned up a little. Her eyes softened. She began to resemble her old self.

Just say it, thought Sonata, taking a deep breath. “There’s magic here.”

Aria squinted at Sonata, cocking her head a little. “Uh, duh, but you have to bring it through-

“Not magic like that.” Sonata stared into the crowd, trying to gather her words, when she noticed a perfect example happening about four rows of seats up. “Here.” She gathered herself onto her feet and reached for Aria.

Aria accepted Sonata’s unusually clammy hand and lifted herself up. “Okay.”

“Close your eyes.” Sonata licked her lips, not even realizing she’d done it. A familiar magical buzz spread from her belly to her chest, leaving tingles in its wake.

“Fine.” Aria closed her eyes.

Sonata took one final shaky breath, leaned forward, and put her lips onto Aria’s in one sudden motion. Aria squeaked as Sonata’s arms wrapped around her back.

The sensation of Sonata’s wet lips sliding over her own, Sonata’s warmth, an unconsious shiver against her… Whoa. It’s not Equestrian magic. But it’s pretty cool. Aria felt it as she reached for Sonata’s backside, the girl’s smooth sides escaping that slinky costume top and gently brushing Aria’s arms to goose flesh. Sonata’s hands unwound from Aria’s back through smooth dual ponytails, coming to rest on the sensitive flesh just above her neck. That sent a fresh shiver through Aria, and she opened her mouth around Sonata’s, her head twisting a little for more

Sonata pulled away a little. “I think I might kinda be in love with you. For real-
” She stopped as her voice boomed around her. “How come I’m so loud?” Even her breathing throbbed through the auditorium.

They slowly turned their heads to face where the crowd once sat. What few students remained appeared frozen in time, with their wide eyes and open mouths aimed directly for Sonata and Aria, who were still tangled in each other.  
Aria slowly matched their expressions. “Your microphone is still on,” she breathed, never breaking her gaze.

Ever the entertainer, Sonata fetched the microphone from between her breasts and spun herself from Aria’s grip, catching the other girl’s hand and leading her into a bow. “Thank you everybody! Study hard!” She lifted Aria’s hand and led her across the stage, finally collapsing into Aria’s arms behind the safety of the curtain, their bodies lolling with laughter.

“Nice save.” Aria was actually smiling. Not smirking. Smiling.

I made her smile! It’s magic! For realzies!

Thanks for reading!
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide