Fallout Equestria Thread (NSFW)

RogueBadnik
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

⌜Ω⌟
@Coldfire the Bat  
Yep.  
Even when spanish traslations exist in popular fics, they are all terrible, almost like they were traslated in Google Traslator.

I can read english thought, and very good, but after reading for so long, it makes me loose interest or makes me sleepy, because sometimes there are words I cannot understand.
Coldfire the Bat
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -

Floof batto
@E-123  
Ah it’s understandable why. Though I’ve never tried reading in another language for so long, though I only know one language and it’s obvious which one that is.

However I’m not too sure how I could help you with the translation for MN7. I don’t know Spanish to distinguish what is what so I’m sure you’ll find something or have found something substantial
AaronMk
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab

Sky funeral
Project Horizons is a train wreck and my time could have been better served reading something else. Unfortunately I hate myself.

Fortunately, EquestriaNarrator is coming back to read more of Heroes after a long hiatus so I have a better fic to look forward to.

However, there’s still not a complete Murky Number 7 reading and I desire one to fill in the dead space at work.
Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
@AaronMk  
Heroes seems to be dead right now. And it might be literally…

I don’t think there are any full readings of Pink Eyes either, are there?

What exactly does PH do wrong?
AaronMk
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Sky funeral
@AaronMk
Heroes seems to be dead right now. And it might be literally…
I don’t think there are any full readings of Pink Eyes either, are there?
What exactly does PH do wrong?

The guy who did a full reading of PH did a full reading of Pink Eyes. Here’s his play list.

However I also have the book in a physical format and have read it all the way through so I’m not as eager to catch up on it as I’ve been other stories I’ve wanted to read, but because of time issues I’ve chosen to listen to as audiobooks as I work, I have a forty-hour night-time work week where the most mentally distracting issue is remembering a number and its location on a shelf for five minutes, provided I haven’t got the location on a work phone or written on a piece of paper. So I got the attention to spare.

All that same I’ve known Heroes has been for a while dead in the water, I just wished that Equestria Narrator would have gotten up to date with the story initially before basically disappearing for three years, he’s been my primary vehicle to experiencing Heroes and his voice talents and production quality got my hooked and I don’t dare look into anyone else since a good reader is so few and far between. But then he put this out Christmas day and hope’s been restore.

Per PH: I could write a book on my complaints over Somber’s writing and direction and the shit he pulls. And I’ve basically written an essay to that effect…

Probably the one good thing it’s done for me is set a line on what not to do, since I plan to go about writing my own fic. I’m very early in the notes stage, basically doing world building exercises before I sketch out a map for the plot itself.
AaronMk
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Sky funeral
@AaronMk
From what I gather, the rules are: 1. Be consistent, 2. Explain stuff, 3. Third person is sometimes better. Am I reading it right?

If you want to take away what I said as being firm rules, sure. But you don’t necessarily have to explain things, and first-person is still an open option. But you can’t really use third-person rules in a first-person story.

Like to a point I can buy into core Fallout’s first-person presentation because it’s LittlePip dictating the story as she remembers it at the end of her journey, if perhaps edited and worked on for clarity. But in the case of Project Horizons this framework is never established, it’s told in First Person for the sake of it and I feel a whole meta element or even an element of irony was lost throughout by Somber not establishing to himself exactly why it’s in first person.

The story could still have been told in first person and worked well, if Somber remembered it might have been best to drop a lot of the gratuitous detail in it. I don’t want to spoil anything in particular, but there could have been a point in the story where he could have stopped the first person narrative towards the end, under the pretense that the entire story up until that point had been Blackjack recounting her story before she disappears to fight the antagonist, and the way it’s related could mean she gets side-tracked or forgets things until they become important and she has to talk about how that is. In the narrative this already done but to the most absolutely minimal effort, quirky asides that just sort of fall flat. And because it’s first person, told from the perspective of someone who might lack it by virtue of being a person who can only see it through one way and trying to rationalize it all at the end, it’d all be an excuse to just simplify and minimize the text. After the hundredth gun fight it becomes boring, and I unironically believe there would have had more impact if she just starts listing gun fights.

Somber’s lack of consistency also blows up its own metaphysical foundations I suppose. Souls are important to FoE, they’re literally a thing that can be used. But he changes what a soul means so often I can’t help but get angry, vs him developing out a single idea of what a soul is and using it.
AaronMk
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Sky funeral
@AaronMk
Does Somber changes the way Souls works in the fic? I dont remember, which part that happens?

He doesn’t necessarily change how they work, but he redefines them constantly throughout the story. At a couple points it’s talked about or acted like a individual can have memories of things, but can have no soul. Like Rampage and Lacunea are talked about as if they have no soul, and thus are not real ponies; even though in Rampage’s case anyone but Blackjack could have made an argument she is a real pony because she does have her own self-created memories since the moment she woke up in the balefire crater.

He then goes and says that anything without a soul is a monster or something, so like Rampage and Lacunea are monsters now along with the rocks? Then Blackjack’s mind is uploaded to a computer while her soul kept in a blank so Blackjack sort of becomes a monster by Somber’s own definition. Somewhere in all of that someone also says with authority that a soul is the accumulation of all a pony’s experience in life, while still acting as if the soul represents a sort of pre-formed essence of a pony that dictates how one’s memories and emotions are used.

I’m convinced that if Somber hadn’t tried to write Project Horizons as Full Metal Alchemist or whatever flavor of Anime of the Week he was watching at the time he was writing PH and wrote the story around the question of what it’s like to exist, and can one ever call themselves the original them even as they change physically, mentally, and emotionally the story would have had more impact.
RogueBadnik
Non-Fungible Trixie -

⌜Ω⌟
There is one thing that I found weird in a lot of FOE fics, and it is the implement of some real life religion elements of it for no reason and just because.

For example, some fics mention Hell and Heaven (Specially Hell as part of insults), and apparently, ponies know what a demon or angel is.

Ponies saying “what the hell” or “Ill send you in Hell” is weird and doesnt fit at all. Heck, I cant take the word “Hellmare” seriously for that.
AaronMk
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Sky funeral
There is one thing that I found weird in a lot of FOE fics, and it is the implement of some real life religion elements of it for no reason and just because.
For example, some fics mention Hell and Heaven (Specially Hell as part of insults), and apparently, ponies know what a demon or angel is.
Ponies saying “what the hell” or “Ill send you in Hell” is weird and doesnt fit at all. Heck, I cant take the word “Hellmare” seriously for that.

You can’t entirely distance the characters from one medium from the reality of the reader, else it becomes alienated. Frankly one could argue that all the characters being horses, they should behave more like horses and less like humans. Issues around heaven or hell is comparatively minor in contrast to people taking issue with mouth-fired weapons and the general awkwardness of trying to fit guns into the MLP world; more often than not many options save unicorn options are awkward and strange.

But creating religious existence or an idea of religious existence wouldn’t be entirely improbable. I’d argue creating religious identity and cosmology would be an effective way for ponies to soften the existential trauma of living in a harsh environment. Once something can become rationalized in a religious context, it’s not a far leap to thinking about a cosmological structure with a Good Place and a Bad Place, using “heaven” or “hell” makes things easier since they would presumably be pre-existing words with the same meaning, though a lack of any centralization means that language can drift into dialect and then from dialect into new languages, dragging those words along with it until they become entirely new.
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@AaronMk  
I definitely try to avoid terms like that. Characters swear by Celestia (or by their stripes), and swear words are either generic or culture specific.

It doesn’t help that I’ve defined an afterlife of sorts, and the concepts of heaven and hell are alien to it.
RogueBadnik
Non-Fungible Trixie -

⌜Ω⌟
I read the first chapter of Heroes.  
I like how the author portrays the ponykind as a violent species from the beginning of evolution, like how humans are always described.

While Kkat describes the equestrians as a pacific species like how are show in the cartoon before the war, and how the war corrupted and tainted their behavior.

Meanwhile in Heroes, it explicity says how they were capable to create weapons and use them to kill each another since the stone age.

Yes, I know the show and comics shows wars and conflicts, but thats mostly when it is only necessary.

This is the kind of things that I try to say. Some writers gets far away from the canon elements of the show/comic material and just prefers to insert things of real life and having not originality in explain things.
Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
@E-123  
I read somewhere that a sapient species that doesn’t do war in the prehistoric era can only go so far. I don’t remember where, though…
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide