Fanfic Writing General

Mr100dragon100
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

reformation is the best
hello, i remember twilight said this
My magic, real magic, comes from within. It’s a skill you’re born with. Curses are artificial, fake magic. It’s conjured with potions and incantations; all smoke and mirrors meant to scare. But curses have no real power, they’re just an old pony tale.
but I read in a Reddit that witches could work if you made them the stereotypical one but I don’t want to and I don’t want the witches magic to be not real magic because it is real magic in Equestria since it technically comes from within (but earth ponies and pegasus have to use spells so they can use magic in the same level as a unicorn) and their potions are more medicine like, for plant growth or for relaxation
so does this still work and is still technically real magic and did twilight learn at some point whenever in the first episode with zecora, in another episode or off-screen that magic comes in all shapes and sizes even in the potions and stuff like zecora does because I don’t want to worry and have the idea that magic witches do is not real magic when it is
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

hello, i remember twilight said this
You’ll also remember that Twilight was proven wrong in the same episode. And proven wrong again with Sombra… go tell the crystal ponies that curses are fake. Or even Princess Celestia, the one who stated that Sombra “was able to put a curse upon the Empire.”
You’re making the mistake of assuming Twilight was right when she said this. Characters can be wrong in their beliefs. Note that it’s the freaking Element of Magic herself who calls her own magic “real magic.” Funny coincidence there! Before that, she was at Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns… where she studied books about unicorn magic, written by unicorns, for unicorns. And chances are, many of the writers and/or teachers had a very narrow and personal definition of what counts as “actual” magic.
Also note Twilight’s own personal definition of old pony tales. Remember Nightmare Moon? Yeah. But her return was mentioned in a book called Predictions and Prophecies so it must be true! She’s always believed that anything written in a book was true, without ever bothering with checking if it’s true. Books say alchemy isn’t real magic? It’s not real magic. End of the discussion.
And of course, Celestia mentions that there are schools devoted to teaching earth ponies and pegasi how to use their racial brand of magic. It’s not the same, they obviously don’t have the unicorns’ ‘whatever is needed by the plot’ magic, but it’s there.
TL;DR: Twilight was wrong. Just because a school of magic doesn’t have ‘spells’ like unicorn magic does, doesn’t mean it’s not real magic. The alchemist herself may not be/use magic, but the potions she makes are magical because the ingredients and/or reactions involved were magical.
@Cosmas-the-Explorer
I didn’t read it myself because I couldn’t stomach the narration, but maybe you’ll like this fanfiction I found a while ago: Pegasisters.
Mr100dragon100
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

reformation is the best
i was not saying she is right i was just wondering if there were things that prove her wrong I just forgot that is all is just a question and thanks this could actually help to the difference between witch magic and regular magic and also the earth and pegasus ponies use magic similar to a unicorn’s just again they need spells to do it
also twilight did learn magic comes in all forms now right or is most likely a giving she learned that lesson at some point off screen right?
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

(small wall’o’text incoming)
i was not saying she is right i was just wondering if there were things that prove her wrong I just forgot and thanks this could actually help to the difference between witch magic and regular magic and also the earth and pegasus ponies use magic similar to a unicorn’s just again they need spells to do it
I admit I don’t know what you mean by “witch magic.” From my reading, it’s just what I called it: alchemy. Mixing magical reagents together. Which wouldn’t be witch magic at all, it just happens that those who use it are disliked by the population and the victims of rumors.
Yeah, I’m on the ‘there’s no such thing as witch magic’ side of the fence. Either it’s alchemy like I mentioned, or transmuting things through chemistry, or tapping into another race’s niche with external means. Like a pegasus managing to use her racial magic to influence plants rather than weather. Somehow.
Still on alchemy… Well, I’ve been spitballing the entire time, but it actually looks close to spells to me. At least according to the lesson shown in Every Little Thing She Does, where Starlight simply goes and combines different spells together like it’s nothing. Similo Duplexis + Accelero = “you can literally be in two places at once!”
So, say, to walk on clouds like in Sonic Rainboom… As a unicorn, maybe it’s ‘focus your magic through [School: Alteration] to get [Spell: Feather], but use enough power to affect [Weight: pony] & [Size: pony] rather than [Weight: apple] & [Size: sheet of paper].’
While for alchemy, maybe it’s ‘turn [Ingredient: cloud mist] into [Form: refined crystals] and [Ingredient: pegasus feather] into [Form: thin powder], mix them together in [Solution: water from Rainbow Falls], then transform everything using [Reaction: slow-boiling] for [Time: 120 seconds].’
Equations, basically. X + Y + Z = specific magical effect. Whether internal or external.
While the pegasi’ and earth ponies’ magic, from what little we saw… it’s basically ‘it just happens,’ without even any ‘feel, don’t think’ thrown in.
Hope I made sense, I’m no good with explanations.
As for proving Twilight wrong, well, from Hearts and Hooves Day… Tuft of cloud + a bright rainbow’s glow + stir with a pegasus feather = love poison even she can’t pretend didn’t exist.
…Basically the alchemical answer to her Want It, Need It spell, actually…
also twilight did learn magic comes in all forms now right or is most likely a giving she learned that lesson at some point off screen right?
Hard to say but I’d bet on yes. It’s easy to imagine that she visits Zecora (as mentioned in Staremaster) to discuss her brand of magic, among other things. Twilight does love expanding her knowledge.
I don’t recall any answer shown in the cartoon, though. Probably the opposite actually. She became an alicorn, but in practice, she just became a unicorn with wings who can walk on clouds. She never delves in the weather control part of the pegasi or the bond with plants earth ponies have.
Even though by her own early definition, it’s also real magic. It comes from within. It just happens that the other two races are locked into their niche while unicorns have the whole toolbox. They can open it too, and mix and match everything that’s inside like they’re LEGO’s blocks. I think that’s what Star Swirl did… find and codify the spells.
Well, the prodigies can, anyway. If we go by Boast Busters’ notion that “unicorns were only supposed to have a little magic that matches their special talents.” And this was Spike speaking here… He may be wrong too.
TL;DR again: The way I’m looking at this. From what we’ve been shown.
There’s a whole book of magical effects. Unicorns can read the whole book. Pegasi can only read the pages about weather. Earth ponies can only read the pages about plants. Zebras and everyone else can read nothing. Alchemy is one way to get past your birth and be able to read the whole book.
The end result’s the same magical effect. Whether the means count as real magic… Well, I guess that’s up to the individual. Unicorns will obviously be biased.
Mr100dragon100
Artist -

reformation is the best
@Roseluck
eh did not read it all but in MY AU
witch magic is magic used by witches is not a type of magic but is just magic used by a specific group that is seen as strange or weird by normal ponies
all I’m asking was if twilight was proven wrong so I won’t have to worry and ya she is wrong I just simply forgot about these little details in the show
witches in my AU used positions not to hurt ponies but is to help with nature, medical purposes or just for relaxing, but they use spells so a non-unicorn can do magic or even any other creature if they so choose, I will add that they infused crystals or glass with magic for special purposes that I will not reveal yet but the magic stays within the object forever. The magic, potions and spells that they use is still unknown for now but I’ll figure it out
and I choose the potions they used is with ingredients like herbs, spices or just plants found in a forest (depending on the type of potion)
is complicated right now but I’ll get the hang of it I did not really need a lecture but thanks for the info
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
G4 Pilot Reboot: Dialogue Draft Sample
Spike: Twilight, is this Mare in the Moon tale just another excuse to shirk off making friends?
Twilight: No. It really is a true possibility. I have 3 weeks months to find out what to do if Nightmare Moon comes and so far I have nothing! Maybe I would have found something already if all these other ponies would give me some space!
Spike: Alright I’ll go along with your Old Mares Tale. Even if true maybe you should relax! Just play ball with some folks. Or chat. Or whatever!
Look, I’m just worried that you’re working too hard and you need a break. It’s supposed to be our vacation and you stay up all night! Just relax.
Twilight: Look once I get done with Nightmare Moon, I’ll take a week long break, okay? You happy?
Spike: Or we could have a week long vacation now and then when we’re all rested up we can solve this Nightmare mystery together maybe even with some new friends!
Twilight: That’ll just make me waste time I could have had solving this mystery. Who knows I might get distracted with more parties or eating contests or fashion talks or whatever crazy thing these ponies want to next.
I can’t be distracted. I have to be focused. For everypony’s sake. And it would be easier some assistant would understand that. And even one week can ruin all of that!
Spike: Wow you should get an award for Most Worried Workaholic Pony of the Century!
Twilight: Aww, you’re too kind Spike! I always go above and beyond to serve Celestia and all of Equestria.😏
Spike: Sigh. You’re impossible. Let’s just find this Fluttershy person.
Twilight: Thank you.
Not the best dialogue. I just had an interaction like this in my head. I like the idea of Twilight and Spike being a bit snarky with each other.
Mr100dragon100
Artist -

reformation is the best
here is a concept for my AU
nightmare night is different for the creatures of the night, is not much about nightmare moon but about the idea that the dead come back during the month (in the AU is around the fall season).
where every fall season ghosts of past loved ones return to hang out and have fun (at it depends due to them having to wait for a year after the loved one’s death before they can see them due to the ghost not appearing until after a year has passed) (and also the creatures try to make the spooky ghost of myth go away I’ll just figure that one out soon and to keep things interesting),
this can happen due to some special magic but I have a problem
I don’t want to make the creatures be not distressed when a loved one dies I want them to still be sad and stuff due to the idea of a life ending despite knowing they will come back as ghosts.
do you think even if someone lives in a world where they can see dead loved ones either in their gravesite as ghosts or around the fall season would still be sad to see them die the first time around and wait a year before seeing them again?
i just want to make sure and what do you think of the concept?
Background Pony #4D52
Alright, this is a bit of a stretch, but i recently been thinking of doing a movie reaction series with the Mane 12 (Twilight, AJ, RD, Rarity, Pinkie, Fluttershy, Spike, Sunny, Izzy, Hitch, Pipp and Zipp).
Question: What movie should i start with?
Background Pony #4D52
@Cosmas-the-Explorer
Adding to your ideas, i also have:
The Happening
My Little Pony: The Movie
The Ruins
Batman: The Killing Joke
Megamind
Brother’s Keeper
Looney Tunes: Back in Action
KaraRara
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Artist -

Enough of humanity
Hello, sorry to bother you, since few months I wanted to write a story for my ponysona : Karadeg and I finally have time to write it, and a friend of mine on this site insisted that I show what I’ve done so far :/
There are many things, drawing, summary of my ponysona (my writings are all in WIP but I have all in my head, just I can’t be faster for write all but I can answered if you have questions, I hope :/) a beginning of a multiverse map that I’ll draw when I’ll have time and beginning of a story
Here’s the folder :/
My Ponysona Story
And sorry if I make mistake :/ I’m french :/
Have a nice day or night, I’ll going to sleep :/
Sorry again for bothering :c
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide