Fanfic Writing General

Silent_Witness
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Chippin’ In
Whenever I have original characters in my writing, I often envision those characters as having specific voice actors, as if they actually part of the media. Does anyone else do that?
Nitro_Indigo
Artist -

Has an image ever inspired you to write something? Because I’m planning out a full story based on this:
My fic, called Rainbows After Rain, will be a loose retelling of A New Generation. Roughly a thousand years before the story begins, ponies and magic all disappeared from the world, leaving other species to carry on Equestria’s legacy. Over the next few centuries, they slowly drifted apart. In the present, a changeling named Solifuge (Sunny), or Sol for short, is fascinated by the history of Equestria and hopes to recreate Twilight’s utopia. I haven’t figured out all the details yet, but I’m having fun coming up with worldbuilding.
Mr100dragon100
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

reformation is the best
curious becuse i did an old story about an old Egyptian ruler (pony of course but it is not in somnambula) vs a chaneling king
do you think they are other changelings because they have to come from somewhere?
(I’m not counting comics)
again i want to be as close to canon as possible without anything that might make these stories impossible
Sparx
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

#115 Wassup Voltage!
Here’s a weird question for ya
So after a huge crisis a circus troupe/party makers or whatever invites everyone to a huge party like festival using tickets/cards and EVERYONE is invited.
Now also an antagonist at one point gives out similar tickets/cards too but they’re cursed or drains (pending) anyone that gets hold of them.
Now my question is which should come first?
Should there have been a huge party and then LATER the evil cards start popping up
OR
Should the evil card thing come into play and then after the crisis is averted everyone has a big party?
Mr100dragon100
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

reformation is the best
i have a question for something i planned for the future
this has to do with my AU but is about transportation and making sure it has little impact on the environment
Do you know the polar express?
well here is my question: where does the polar express go when Christmas is over, yes is a magic train but where does it go?
I’m asking because i want to put a train for my AU land but want to:
have magical elements since its Equestria
have little impact on the environment since the creatures try to live in harmony with nature
and i want to reduce the indication of hard labour and time as possible
i just want to know because my idea is that the train is magic and is created by ghosts so it disappears when it goes through a wall and becomes well a “ghost” even though is made out of magic then it becomes physical when leaving that wall
idk is just an idea but i like to get a reference
Background Pony #DEA3
Fafic idea.
Rainbow Dash wakes up and notices several things.
  1. This is not her bed, it is a nest
  2. she is a griffon
  3. she is not alone in the nest.
result: Scream.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
In my AU of the FIM, Twilight will be more dour, a little cold, and sometimes grumpy. She also a bit cynical of others unlike FIM. And Twilight can be judgemental of others but she judges herself even more.
She has to learn to trust friends and to open up. And this will be a struggle she will have to learn even after the pilot.
She’ll be more of an introvert in my version.
Some might say like the Mentally Advanced version.
But I do want to keep some important traits. Twilight is the voice of reason and is level headed. When others are arguing she tries to be objective.
My Twilight will also retain a strong sense of morality and will refuse to budge unless she believes she becomes convinced she was in the wrong.
Twilight unlike Mentally Advanced, is not rude. If anything she would be passive agressive if someone annoyed her resorting to sarcasm sometimes if really annoyed. But when she gets mad she will be frightening to be around.
That being said Twilight’s flaw will be that she is too by the book and doesn’t take any risks. Characters like the more reckless and unconventional Starlight would make a foil for her, each one correcting the other at different tines.
(Twilight would also be like an older sister to Starlight)
Background Pony #BF00
  1. Ponies like the Nintendo Switch (and its family), because of the detachable joycons (on some of them), and most, if not all of the portable only Switch Family having the ability to become controllers when attached to the switch dock, or Switch TV in my AU.
  2. Some ponies are e-gamers, Cozy Glow is an example.
Luminous Comet

I’ve been writing a lot recently and I have a list of ideas in a notepad file.
But there is one G5 note I have that is, by itself, funnier than anything I could make from it.
Like, I think it’s a funny concept, but every time I try to expand on it, it ruins it.
The note is “Unicorn tongues actually ARE like tasers” in reference to a line in Fit Right In.
Mr100dragon100
Artist -

reformation is the best
is there a website where i can do the following things
1: i can upload a map i found in a map generator or a map that i created
2: the website can look at the map and simulate what type of biomes the map would have
i just want to know so i can make a land with accurate biome placement so it will be easier to do towns or landscapes because again i want to be accurate
note: i want to make an island continent
Silent_Witness
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Chippin’ In
Right now, I’m trying to figure out something for one of the characters I’m going to introduce in my story. Specifically, I’m trying to figure out what her weapon of choice should be.
The character in question is a mage, but also the descendant of a well-known line of Heroes, so she’s much stronger than an ordinary person, and isn’t afraid to get physical with enemies. And I’m not sure which direction I should go- if I should give her a weapon that emphasizes physical ability, or one that reflects her mage abilities, so her physical strength comes as more of a surprise.
Luminous Comet

@Sparx
I have one long main project, which I have vaguely plotted out and work out in more detail for the near future. Whenever I can, I’ll work a bit on the next chapter. When I feel like it’s done, I let it sit and look over it again with fresh eyes a few hours later. Then I publish it.
But in the meantime, I also write one-shots or short stories that come to mind and that I feel like writing.
So the actual answer is, I’m really working on one, but sometimes I’ll feel like writing something different, so I do. That leads to occasionally a second one being mid-production, but never really more than that.
Sparx
Non-Fungible Trixie -

#115 Wassup Voltage!
@Luminous Comet
Gah sorry this question was for everyone to answer as well.
Thanks for answering though! XD
I might consider trying that too.The current fic I’m working on will act as the entry point to the AU and every now and then I’ll have agrand story .
But I’d like to write shorter stories about other characters in the said universe
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide