Viewing last 25 versions of post by CMC Scootaloo in topic Future of FIM fanfiction

CMC Scootaloo
Duck - Common sense 'n stuff
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -

Scootaloo Fanclub Member
"[@Applelight Limited":](/writing/future-of-fim-fanfiction/post/4309219#post_4309219

[bq]
)

>
(let’s be honest; the kids)[/bq]

I'm sure there would be enough new fans of a non-rebooted Generation 5 who are adults. Maybe even more than children, because children have to be convinced yet, while all the adults in our fandom will gladly jump at it without asking many questions.

It's quite tiring to see the old "It's a kids show" phrase harping on and on, when it's so obviously not a kids show at all. Same for saying "It is a kids show, just a good one" because that still defies a proper definition what MLP: FiM actually is. And I find it quite discriminatory when someone demonstratively excludes the vast number of adult fans this show rightfully attracted for the purpose of privileging the kids who watch it.

But that would finally make us becoming off-topic now.

[bq]

>
It could be done in such a way that you don’t need to have watched G4 to know what’s going on but it’s still there.[/bq]

Definitely. Very easy thing to do. And if something requires knowledge, the ponies of Equestria and other creatures remember events of the past and reminisce on them and the audience can reminisce with them while they think back to the past and talk about it.

That's what flashbacks are for. They can even re-use the same animations for that to save time; just put a white, nebulous filter on it, maybe make a few tiny adjustments to make it look closer to the new animation style (if there is one) and they're good to do.

Nothing easier than that.

[bq]

>
Again, if you’re doing a reboot, do a full reboot. Not a half assed one.[/bq]

Or, just don't do a reboot and continue with what you already have as long as there is enough creative potential.

All reboots I've seen were, regardless of the quality of the work, horrible. Well, other than MLP: FiM, which is the one big exception. But here it was necessary, because the early generations were so horrendous that something just **needed** to be done.

Other than this one exception, reboots are horrible by default and by their nature, because they change everything about a franchise that you love as a fan and then expect you to roll along with it.

Reboots are, usually, not a creative progression, but a pure marketing method to squeeze more money out of a successful franchise when the company behind it believes that it loses steam. Or, just when it wants to pander to a different audience or demographic because marketing surveys have shown how much money there is to get with that new audience.

The result is always a complete distortion of what was known, which was good with MLP: FiM and a miraculous improvement, but won't be good with a Generation 5 reboot. Generation 4 is excellent and Hasbro has everything to make it fresh again without rebooting, so a reboot would just be a horrible mistake.

Reboots are a stab in the heart of every fan of a franchise.

If the reboot really becomes a reality, I hope that Generation 4 will at least be continued in another medium. There's an english manga series for G4 coming out in Summer (pre-ordered that faster than my shadow moves) and from what it sounds like, it could be on-going.

I also hope that, if Hasbro keepts its reboot plans, it will return to Equestria one day when Generation 6 comes.

Or, when a Generation 5 does a complete nosedive because no one cares. Which, to be honest, I'm hoping for then.

Also, I am preparing a fic that is like this, about Equestria's future, for the Long Winter. Still needs a lot of work, but I want to kick it off after Generation 4 is over:

"

[
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/406147/my-little-pony-guardians-of-crystal-growth":](https://www.fimfiction.net/story/406147/my-little-pony-guardians-of-crystal-growth

[bq]
)

>
About the ‘flying ship’; imagine an ocean going galleon, a classic pirate ship design with sails and everything, that can literally take off into the sky and fly along.[/bq]

Ah, that's what you meant. It is also something that has been done before, but not very often. And it's a very unconventional idea, so if you came to this on your own, you can be proud of it.

[bq]

>
It actually gives me hope that this story is still worth doing! :)[/bq]

Every story is worth doing. You should go and write it.
No reason given
Edited by CMC Scootaloo
CMC Scootaloo
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

Scootaloo Fanclub Member
"@Applelight Limited":/writing/future-of-fim-fanfiction/post/4309219#post_4309219

[bq](let’s be honest; the kids)[/bq]

I'm sure there would be enough new fans of a non-rebooted Generation 5 who are adults. Maybe even more than children, because children have to be convinced yet, while all the adults in our fandom will gladly jump at it without asking many questions.
It's quite tiring to see the old "It's a kids show" phrase harping on and on, when it's so obviously not a kids show at all. Same for saying "It is a kids show, just a good one" because that still defies a proper definition what MLP: FiM actually is. And I find it quite discriminatory when someone demonstratively excludes the vast number of adult fans this show rightfully attracted for the purpose of privileging the kids who watch it.

[bq]It could be done in such a way that you don’t need to have watched G4 to know what’s going on but it’s still there.[/bq]

Definitely. Very easy thing to do. And if something requires knowledge, the ponies of Equestria and other creatures remember events of the past and reminisce on them and the audience can reminisce with them while they think back to the past and talk about it.
That's what flashbacks are for. They can even re-use the same animations for that to save time; just put a white, nebulous filter on it, maybe make a few tiny adjustments to make it look closer to the new animation style (if there is one) and they're good to do.

[bq] Again, if you’re doing a reboot, do a full reboot. Not a half assed one.[/bq]

Or, just don't do a reboot and continue with what you already have as long as there is enough creative potential.
All reboots I've seen were, regardless of the quality of the work, horrible. Well, other than MLP: FiM, which is the one big exception. But here it was necessary, because the early generations were so horrendous that something just *needed* to be done.
Other than this one exception, reboots are horrible by default and by their nature, because they change everything about a franchise that you love as a fan and then expect you to roll along with it.
Reboots are, usually, not a creative progression, but a pure marketing method to squeeze more money out of a successful franchise when the company behind it believes that it loses steam. Or, just when it wants to pander to a different audience or demographic because marketing surveys have shown how much money there is to get with that new audience.
The result is always a complete distortion of what was known, which was good with MLP: FiM and a miraculous improvement, but won't be good with a Generation 5 reboot. Generation 4 is excellent and Hasbro has everything to make it fresh again without rebooting, so a reboot would just be a horrible mistake.

If the reboot really becomes a reality, I hope that Generation 4 will at least be continued in another medium. There's an english manga series for G4 coming out in Summer (pre-ordered that faster than my shadow moves) and from what it sounds like, it could be on-going.
I also hope that, if Hasbro keepts its reboot plans, it will return to Equestria one day when Generation 6 comes.
Or, when a Generation 5 does a complete nosedive because no one cares. Which, to be honest, I'm hoping for then.

Also, I am preparing a fic that is like this, about Equestria's future, for the Long Winter. Still needs a lot of work, but I want to kick it off after Generation 4 is over:

"https://www.fimfiction.net/story/406147/my-little-pony-guardians-of-crystal-growth":https://www.fimfiction.net/story/406147/my-little-pony-guardians-of-crystal-growth

[bq]About the ‘flying ship’; imagine an ocean going galleon, a classic pirate ship design with sails and everything, that can literally take off into the sky and fly along.[/bq]

Ah, that's what you meant. It is also something that has been done before, but not very often. And it's a very unconventional idea, so if you came to this on your own, you can be proud of it.

[bq]It actually gives me hope that this story is still worth doing! :)[/bq]

No reason given
Edited by CMC Scootaloo
CMC Scootaloo
Artist -

Scootaloo Fanclub Member
"@Applelight Limited":/writing/future-of-fim-fanfiction/post/4309219#post_4309219

[bq]It could be done in such a way that you don’t need to have watched G4 to know what’s going on but it’s still there.[/bq]

Definitely. Very easy thing to do. And if something requires knowledge, he ponies of Equestria and other creatures remember events of the past and reminisce on them and the audience can reminisce with them while they think back to the past and talk about it.

[bq] Again, if you’re doing a reboot, do a full reboot. Not a half assed one.[/bq]

All reboots I've seen were, regardless of the quality of the work, horrible. Well, other than MLP: FiM, which is the one big exception. But here it was necessary, because the early generations were so horrendous that something just *needed* to be done.

"https://www.fimfiction.net/story/406147/my-little-pony-guardians-of-crystal-growth":https://www.fimfiction.net/story/406147/my-little-pony-guardians-of-crystal-growth

[bq]About the ‘flying ship’; imagine an ocean going galleon, a classic pirate ship design with sails and everything, that can literally take off into the sky and fly along.[/bq]

No reason given
Edited by CMC Scootaloo
CMC Scootaloo
Artist -

Scootaloo Fanclub Member

I'm sure ther would be enough new fans of a non-rebooted Generation 5 who are adults. Maybe even more than children, because children have to be convinced yet, while all the adults in our fandom will gladly jump at it without asking many questions.

Definitely. Very easy thing to do. And if something requires knowledge, he ponies of Equestria and other creatures remember events of the past and reminisce on them and the audience can reminisce with them while they think back to the past and talk about it.

No reason given
Edited by CMC Scootaloo