When You Have a Great Setup for a Story, but No Idea About the Antagonist or Conflict

Kirb
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Thread Starter - Stranded (Anthro/NSFW)
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

We all know the familiar curse of Writer’s Block, when you are dry of ideas for stories. But have any of you ever had a great idea for a story’s setup, and its main characters, but can’t come up with a central conflict or antagonist?

What do you do when you have that?

Example: My own idea is about a pony who finds himself stranded in a land he does not know. He finds a very young changeling female there. While initially hostile towards each other, he soon realizes that they have to work together to survive. As the days go past, they form a tight friendship.

Any responses/ideas would be great!

-Kirb.
ghostfacekiller39
Duck - Bona fide shitposter - ignore or report

Sunny Day Realtor
What kind of tone would you like for the story that you center around your idea to take? Something serious, something funny, something somber? Establishing tone should be your first priority, but you’ve likely already done that, from what I’ve read here. I bring this up for a reason, though, so bear with me here.

After you’ve figured out what you what you want the general feeling of your story to be, music wass always a good startfor me back when I wrote fanfics. I would find something that matched the tone of my idea and build off of it from there - I would also avoid songs with lyrics, because lyrics will usually have some kind of meaning and I didn’t want that to really interfere with my creative process.

For instance, the last fanfic I could ever be arsed to write was focused on the idea of being unable to sleep. I started off by having the character blame it on the bright lights of the urban city outside of her apartment, while subtly hinting throughout that the actual reason for her insomnia was more internal than it was external. As a result, I listened to a lot of music that had a relaxed, nighttime feel to it, but it also had a tiny bit of a punch packed into the otherwise calm nature of the song - hence, my go to track for it was Stickerbrush Symphony.

I’d say you should find some kind of music without any lyrics that fits the vibe to the story that you’re trying to tell, and then just kind of shutting off your mind and letting it works its course. Turn off all of the lights, close your eyes, whatever - listen to the music and just let it create the imagery for you. Maybe it makes you think of scenarios, maybe it drudges up some obscure memories that lend themselves to the creative process of writing a story, or whatever. It was what I always did, and it worked like a charm for me.

After that, that’s when you start worrying about conflict and villains. Villains aren’t always necessary, of course, and depending on the tone you might want to take a villainless route and have the conlflict be one that arises between the differences of the characters whose friendship you’re developing. This is what I mean by listening to music and having it create imagery for you - the music might dig up some kind of conflict you felt in the past and you can begin molding it from there. Be sure and find a conflict that you think is best here, and not necessarily the first one the song reminds you of. You can begin playing with those thoughts and the imagery provided and use that to build up your conflict.
Vree
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

“We all know the familiar curse of Writer’s Block, when you are dry of ideas for stories.” - can’t say I do, I always have far more ideas than time and desire to write. :p It ends up being a quality filter - anything I take the effort to finish must be a very good idea, indeed. (lol)

Back on topic: I’d say an antagonist is actually a pretty cheap (though tried and tested) method of creating conflict. Conflict is so much more diverse. Even in stories with antagonists the REAL conflict often does not even have anything to with them, they are just helping it along.

I mean, your story idea already seems full of conflict to explore.  
  1. stranded in a land he does not know  
  • What could be a greater challenge than that?  
  1. initially hostile towards each other, they have to work together to survive, they form a tight friendship.

Is there a need for an antagonist in this, or does it just seem odd that these can be interesting on their own right?

Of course, when we’re talking about exploring/surviving a foreign place the dangers of that have to be physically manifest. And if you want to test and develop a friendship at the same time, then you can tie the order in which those challenges apppear to reinforce that.

You can approach the challenges from the POV of the first conflict:  
  • Attacked by the wildlife (animals, carnivorous plants, locals, etc.) where one has to pull the other out of danger. (also a good chance to highlight the peculiar flavor of whatever place they landed in)  
  • Having to walk long distances on hoof where they have to keep a steady peace for some reason (food shortage, dangers/cold at night, somebody trailing them or trying to beat them to a goal, etc.), but end up being hindered (no navigation skills, one character injured, etc.)  
    etc.

or the 2nd one:  
  • a situation where they can not let the other perish before they do some important task, so they end up risking life and limb to save the other without originally intending it. It is nice to start with an alliance out of neccessity and develop  
  • A situation that pushes the developing friendship a step back, to show that the path to making friends with the enemy is not without difficulty or possible bad outcomes.  
  • Something in the characters’ personalities that explains WHY they, of all ponies/lings, are suited to understanding the other. Recveal that they have some unique quality that makess them better suited for that and the reader will root for them.  
    eg. they should have have some similar experience, hobby, etc. they both can connect with; they may be secretly unhappy about something about themselves that the other can understand/offer an alternative or solution to; etc.

I mean, it’s the same conflict, but the way you build it in your hand, the purpose you’re working towards, is different. Of course you’re trying to fulfill both - make them both feel natural in their respective narrative.

“I started off by having the character blame it on the bright lights of the urban city outside of her apartment”

That sounds fascinating.

And yeah, I prefer already starting off with a decent idea chunk like that.

——  
    I mean, can I just quote some lines from this one novel I’ve been recommended called “The Monster Calls”?

It starts out like this:

“The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.”

Can we appreciate the work that simple “as they do” does.

“Connor had a nightmare. Well, not A nightmare. THE nightmare.”

So delightfully creepy.

“He’d told no one about the nightmare. Not his mum, not dad, and DEFINITELY no-one at school. Absolutely not.”

So what do we know so far? That this kid Connor has a recurring nightmare, and that his relationship with his family and friends prevents him from trying to explain it to anybody. And we’ve all been there, right? Where we could not share some important problem we had because it’d have been social suicide. And that’s a big problem for Connor if it turns out that the nightmare is more than real…

Was that interesting? I think so. Was there a conflict? Sure - Connor is struggling with himself, trying to work his way out of a social problem that many readers will also be familiar with and so how he goes about solving it is going to be interesting to them. And of course, there is a hint that his problems are about to get WORSE.

Was that useful to you? I’m not sure. :D Maybe we can talk about something more specific about your fic(s), mm?
Kirb
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Thread Starter - Stranded (Anthro/NSFW)
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@Vree  
Thanks for the tips! Now that you mention it… I might actually make this into a comic as opposed to a fanfic. (I’ll have to improve my art skills first though)  
If you want we can continue talking over notes.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide