Viewing last 25 versions of post by byte[] in topic "The Largest Database Migration I Have Ever Written"

byte[]
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Philomena Contributor
This migration didn't actually change anything fundamental about the way the application code works. This migration is huge because six things were accomplished at once, and it required a fair amount of testing beforehand to ensure it would apply correctly.

1. Delete 9 unnecessary / unused indices on 8 tables

2. Create 32 necessary indices for cascaded updates and deletes in step 6

3. Delete data with inappropriate SQL @`NULL@` values==\*== as a prerequisite for step 5

4. Delete data with broken referential conestraints==\*\*== as a prerequisite for step 6

5. Add @`NOT NULL@` constraints to 218 columns across 30 tables

6. Add @`FOREIGN KEY@` referential constraints to 71 columns across 37 tables

In total, the completed run of this migration took exactly 548 seconds to apply from start to finish. There was about a 20 minute delay at the beginning while I waited for @`pg_dump@` to complete. I set the parallelism as high as I could get it, but I do not think I can get it to dump any faster, unfortunately.

Some hitches that I ran into along the way that required me to restart the migration:

- One post had a @`topic_position@` that was @`NULL@`, and my code to set a meaningful value there was broken. I fixed this with 2bf1b1dc57 and restarted the migration.

- A few Rails-generated foreign key names were different in development than in production, which threw a wrench into the works several times while I had to drop those constraints. I knew this was going to happen before I started, and tried to account for it in 95d509ed4b, but it did not break the way I expected it to.

Overall, that's pretty much it.

==

\
*== A row in source_changes with a @`NULL@` @`image_id@` is inappropriate because it is meaningless.
==

\
*\*== A row in source_changes with an @`image_id@` that exists, but does not point to any known ID number, is inappropriate because it is meaningless.
No reason given
Edited by byte[]
byte[]
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Philomena Contributor
This migration didn't actually change anything fundamental about the way the application code works. This migration is huge because six things were accomplished at once, and it required a fair amount of testing beforehand to ensure it would apply correctly.

1. Delete 9 unnecessary / unused indices on 8 tables
2. Create 32 necessary indices for cascaded updates and deletes in step 6
3. Delete data with inappropriate SQL @NULL@ values==*== as a prerequisite for step 5
4. Delete data with referential constraints==**== as a prerequisite for step 6
5. Add @NOT NULL@ constraints to 218 columns across 30 tables
6. Add @FOREIGN KEY@ referential constraints to 71 columns across 37 tables

In total, the completed run of this migration took exactly 548 seconds to apply from start to finish. There was about a 20 minute delay at the beginning while I waited for @pg_dump@ to complete. I set the parallelism as high as I could get it, but I do not think I can get it to dump any faster, unfortunately.

Some hitches that I ran into along the way that required me to restart the migration:

- One post had a @topic_position@ that was @NULL@, and my code to set a meaningful value there was broken. I fixed this with 2bf1b1dc57 and restarted the migration.
- A few Rails-generated foreign key names were different in development than in production, which threw a wrench into the works several times while I had to drop those constraints. I knew this was going to happen before I started, and tried to account for it in 95d509ed4b, but it did not break the way I expected it to.

Overall, that's pretty much it.

==*== A row in source_changes with a @NULL@ @image_id@ is inappropriate because it is meaningless.
==**== A row in source_changes with an @image_id@ that exists, but does not point to any known ID number, is inappropriate because it is meaningless.
No reason given
Edited by byte[]