In a Funk

Art Chat » In a Funk Search Posts
Rainb0wDashie
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Hey Derpibooru, Rainb0w Dashie here.

So I’m in a bit of a funk when it comes to working on my art, or any of my projects really.

I recently left a hostile pony community I spent too much time in (upwards of 3 years) and since then I’ve flatlined when it comes to my projects. The reason I bring up that community is because in between periods of arguments and self-loathing I’d enter this “I’ll show them” state and get some work done. But the mood would never last long enough to consistently churn out content like I want to and I end up doing nothing.

Now that I’m out I still feel stuck, like I can’t kickstart myself to work on anything. It’s not that I don’t feel good enough (although every artist wishes they could be better), the desire is there, the ideas are there, but the motivation isn’t. I’m like a ship at full-mast but the wind isn’t blowing in the right direction.

I really don’t know what to do to get myself out of this funk. And even if I do summon enough energy to work on something, it gets very little reception once it’s posted, so it’s like “I just wasted all the effort for nothing. what’s the point?”

I dunno, just felt like venting.
jakc2314
Thread Starter - Happy venting thread
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Dashie eat a Snickers you’re not you when you’re hungry but seriously make a doodle board and drawn on it whenever the mood takes you
Badumsquish
Generic Messy Hair Anime Anon - Seen and done more than you can imagine
Kalianne - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

ᗡ: 📶 📡
If I can make a suggestion, try doing something completely different. Draw something you’ve never made before, or better yet, something you normally wouldn’t draw. Just throw all caution to the wind, draw something real crazy, throw it at this site, and see what happens.
Rainb0wDashie
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

@Badumsquish

I try to do stuff like that but I’m such a perfectionist that I’ll start a drawing or something and I’ll shut down if it ends up not going how I want it too. Like the perspective gets messed up or I make my figures too fat and I get embarrassed and want to stop.

@jakcspellgood said to make a doodle board, which I’ve tried, but I also have this problem where I keep making things serious.

My Ask Lonershy blog was supposed to be a “caution to the wind” blog but now that it has a chance to get on EQD I have to take it seriously.

I’ve also got really high standards for myself so 90% of my problem is shutting myself down in fear of looking stupid
r0BSCENE
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -

Bye everypony
I’ve been the same way a lot lately so I’ve actually been trying to change my behavior pattern by rewarding myself after getting some art done.
Sono
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

I have the exact same issues you have, I have made some subsided to a degree, but yeah, the motivation part is difficult, and i still struggle with it. I can be inspired but won’t feel like actually doing it, or too scared it’ll come out crappy.

But the only way I was able to beat that, was to just do it, and not care. Understand people aren’t going to walk you off a plank for making a bad drawing, it doesn’t matter if it’s bad, just do it. It’s the only way to make art is to keep doing it regardless.

You mentioned self loathing, haha, been there, especially last year. I hated myself and all my work, it was an uphill battle to keep trying anyway, and I required the support of friends to do it. But it was all worth it, because now I am more confident, I’m still not very good (and I still don’t really do ponies yet XD).

Just make sure to do it for the sake of creation and to express yourself. Maybe, rather, draw what you like, try something new YOU might like to do, maybe ponies are exhausting you, and the correlation of them with the bad feelings might be what’s janking your drive to draw. So come back to ponies later.

And looking at ur stuff, it looks GREAT. Keep working on it. Just looking at them chronologically and ur progress is crazy.
paluzna

@Rainb0wDashie  
stop making art for attention(for others) you will end up turning art into a job and a chore.

if you need isnpiration, listen to music, go out, take a walk, draw a tree, draw food. draw your toys. draw stuff from magazines. DO NOT force yourself to draw just ponies, or any one subject.

“My Ask Lonershy blog was supposed to be a “caution to the wind” blog but now that it has a chance to get on EQD I have to take it seriously.”  
fcepalm, it feels like you want to be great and go somewhere whit your art. before you can do that, you must teach yourself to do art naturaly. learn to draw before you learn to do art.

“90% of my problem is shutting myself down in fear of looking stupid”  
you are stupid and you will always be stupid, you will laways have stuff that looks weird and ugly and all kinds of dumb… to some people.  
you just gota find the right audience. guess how you do that? by putting stuff out there.

you must draw ugly shit before you can draw good shit, and remenber to practice poses and stuff.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide