The Nerd Thread (comics, movies, anime, cartoons, video games, lore, fun stuff, ect.)

Jarkes
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Transformers Thread

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@northern haste

Yeah, and it was glorious. It completely embraced the batshit insanity of the source material, and I love it.

@TheHappySpaceman

Apparently the 90’s Fist of the North Star film was at least a case of “so bad it’s good” anyway… But you’re not wrong.
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

World's Okayest User
I love to crap on western anime-to-live action movie adaptations, but Speed Racer is legit.

At they very least I can confidently say they gave a shit about the source material
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
The Venom sequel finally had some news drop. It’s gonna be called Venom: Let There Be Carnage, it will include Tom Holland Spiderman and the events of the MCU are canon to the Sony Spiderverse. Kevin Feige is dodgy on whether Sony’s Spiderverse is canon to the MCU however.
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

Oliver Via, a Japan researcher made a tweet: “Japan is a country where 98% of the population is ethnically homogenous, yet the stories and characters shown in anime have been genuinely diverse and varied for decades. Japanese creators don’t need to be patronizingly lectured to by culturally imperialist Westerners.”
In response to a tweet made by dub VA that went: “More Representation in Anime!”
https://mobile.twitter.com/OliverJia1014/status/1246839358906183680

What I think about it? OK. While I totes agree with Oliver Via, I will not stop trying to include HIJABI BABES in anime.

You got all kindsa fetish ranging from actual animal to semi-anthro, you got nuns and shrine maidens, robots and even fucking battleships, to even goblins and tentacles raping all kinda girls and yet I haven’t even seen a proper hijabi character? Not even as a side character? Come on!

Matter fact I only saw hijabi characters in select cartoons or comic books and I approve. The current hijabi character I dig is a side character from Glitch Tech and man, I need more characters like her in anime.

I ain’t stopping. Imma make hentai with a hijabi character I swear.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

Ironically tho. Japanese Anime have been consistently appropriating literally everything from Western Culture in general.

Tolkien, Grimm’s Fairy tales, Star Wars (and other sci-fi), Steampunk, D&D, Jazz Metal Hip Hop, fucking…SPORTS. Japanese feking ANIME is undoubtedly filled to the brim with anything and everything from the wider Western Pop Culture.

What am I tryna say? I’m saying if you got enough hijabi characters in pop culture you eventually will have hijabi characters in anime. It’s inevitable.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@WyrmSpawN  
You cannot, sincerely say that something is in and of itself, COOL that it will be cool no matter the time, place, culture and or ppl who sells or promotess it.

We all know finding something “cool” is also shaped by trends and your audience. If hijabi babes are “cool” in the west. Japanese anime and its audience, who are also influenced BY western pop culture (you cannot argue that they don’t) will eventurally find hijabi babes to also be “cool.”

For example Christianity is popular in Japan btw. Super popular WHY? Because it’s cool? My guess is because Christianity was deeply associated with The West (despite it being a MENA religion).
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@tehwatever  
Not really, as there aren’t very many christian people in Japan actually.

Osamu Tezuka (the Father of classic anime) did some Bible adaptation animes, and such, but he wasn’t a christian, though he agreed with some of it’s philosophy, and some Buddhist philosophy, as well.

Also, stuff that is popular in America isn’t always popular in Japan. In fact, some Japanese-made game franchises like Metroid, StarFox, Castlevania and Sonic are popular in America, but very unpopular in Japan. That’s why Nintendo & Konami hardly ever make those games, and why Sega makes Sonic cater more to the American audience.

Plus, American stuff like “Batman” aren’t very popular in Japan. (He did get his own short-lived manga though.)
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Beau Skunky  
I didn’t mean popular as in ppl becoming christian but it is populating the works of pop culture, be it purely just for the aesthetics or otherwise. A lot of japanese performers regularly throw in christian symbolism not knowing what the fuck it means but just because it’s “cool.” Cool how. cool why? Well…because the ppl they’re inspired by also throw in christian symbolisms.

Metroid. Star Fox Note how they’re…ENLGISH WORDS. Fox, Krystal? Sonic? They look like characters that you wouldn’t be at fault thinking they came from a western source. Super Mario Brothers have PEACH, a blondie in distress captured by a dragon and oh–Samus Aran also being a blondie? Streets of Rage? Rockman, Castlevania

Almost 95% of the japanese stuff I consume are NEVER, culturally purely Japanese. You see major influence from the western sensibility in general. This nobody can deny and that is NOT a bad thing. If anything it means that the chance of a hijabi character in anime is NOT at all zero.

Like how Japan treat christianity (like it’s just some western thing to do) I can see one day Japan treating hijab in a similar fashion. they can remove it entirely from its roots and just go with the aesthetic–and I wouldn’t care. Heck, I’d appreciate it.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@tehwatever
Taking something you find cool is different from having it forced on you.
The best sales people, ads or marketing, work by convincing you that the decision to buy is yours and yours alone. Nobody’s forcing you to buy that sweet new piece of tech that would definitely this time make your life better.
Jarkes
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Transformers Thread

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@tehwatever

They also frequently use Christian symbols or the literal Christian God to signify antagonists. There’s a reason that a running joke among JRPG fans is “Level 1: Find lost puppy. Level 50: Kill God.”
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Jarkes  
Yeah. I’m aware. Point is they still include that kinda sheeit in their pop-culture library. Hijabi girls on the other hand, apparently simply don’t exist in that library. Like, it’s not even on the completely obscure materials section.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide