Why Did Hub Pick Up Shezow?

SuperGex3: The Return of SuperGex
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

At first glance, Shezow is a bit of a paradox. A show about an underaged transgender is bound to attract flocks of foaming-at-the-mouth preachers and soccer moms intent on using its metaphorical limbs as toothpicks, as well as 2edgy4u social justice warriors with a rallying cry of “SO PRUHGRESSIFF”. By the concept and watered-down descriptions alone, the show seemed to be serving as a drama machine for itself, not being able to do any good for the Hub at all. However, after some thought, I think I’ve found the reasoning behind it, and how it links up to other shows on the channel.

After MLPFIM’s climax of popularity, around when Season 2 was in pre-production, Hub had found itself a gold mine of loyal customers. Unfortunately, they had a severe case of tunnel vision, for the most part, and were only here for the tutu-wearing unicycle bear that had brought them to the channel. Even then, the channel’s ratings were slim pickings compared to household names like Nickelodeon and Disney Channel, and Hasbro, being run by bureaucrats with an unhealthy obsession with grade school children, couldn’t be anything but disappointed with this. There had to be more hits, and more hits was what the HUB tried to produce.

First, there was the Care Bears CGI show. Not quite a true example, tied in with little more than a passing comment from one of HUB’s suits. As soon as the words “belly bros” escaped from that man’s mouth, time seemed to have stopped for a glorious second. Then, an uproarious laughter emanated from the fandom. The show came and went with little more than a peep, being compared unfavorably to being mauled by an actual bear. To add injury to insult, the exec who made the infamous statement was put on a bus to unemployment.

Secondly, and more traditionally, was the Littlest Pet Shop reboot. Despite being made by most of the same crew, and finding a very modest but devoted fandom of its own, the majority of the MLP fandom wrote it off as an uninspired clone, based exclusively on the first few episodes and promos. While LPS has a second season scheduled for the end of this year, it still isn’t the (comparative) ratings giant that its big sister is.

And now, we enter the saga’s third chapter, Shezow. As viral marketing and formula replication have failed to make another (again, comparative) sleeper hit, the HUB goes to the source: social justice. The reason behind MLPFIM’s discovery by /co/ was an infamous article written by a batshit insane “feminist” for Ms. Magazine, decrying the show as homophobic and racist by screenshots alone. Since the other options have failed, HUB picks up a show only aired on the other side of the world and gives it its first (and likely only, considering the behavior of the big name companies) home in North America. Only time will tell if this show manages to who the fuck am I kidding it’s DOA.
♥♥Princess♥♥Celestia♥♥
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Artist -

The Bestia
I gotta wonder why too. Especially when, atleast according the IMDB, it isn’t very good.

If it wasn’t Hasbro, I would guess they want something controversial to attract people. But it’s Hasbro, they stay as far away from controversial as they can, unless it provides profit.

My guess is they’re desperate for programming.
Itsthinking
Princess Ember - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
SheZow is literally the thing that the Hub is hoping pulls them out of their current money hemorrhaging situation. There’s an article I posted on here, with a lot of doom and gloom about how Hasbro probably should never have made a channel to begin with and have a laughably small viewing audience by nearly any comparison.

Pound Puppies will end after its third season. It never was as popular as FiM or even LPS, and I can’t see them pushing past what’s needed for syndication. That Care Bears show is a lot like the Strawberry Shortcake one: it shows how they can’t afford to mess up any more.

SheZow was done on the cheap, and its airing rights were almost assuredly picked up for cheap as well. The creator has said that its performance on the Hub will be a deciding factor in if it gets a second season. Oh, and the main character in SheZow does not become a woman.

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a creator be quite this candid about his creation, but at least you can tell who actually did any sort of research on the show because of this tweet.
Amber

>Pound Puppies will end after its third season.

This makes me a bit sad.

Some episodes of Pound Puppies treated serious topics(not to the extreme,of course) and the voice cast is superb.I mean,c’mon,John DiMaggio,Cree (Awesome) Summer,Yvette Nicole Brown and oh my gosh,Eric McCormack?

Too bad :(
Itsthinking
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
Oh, that was just a guess. Its Wikipedia page says it got 65 episodes and I haven’t heard much about the future of the show. I personally don’t see it going beyond 65 episodes. Not that the syndication limit really matters because no other kids network will air a show that intimidates advertisers, but whatever.
Amber

Oh,I see.Nothing is official yet,but despite all the good points of the show,you are right,is not really that popular.

Hopes it gets another season,but considering what’s currently happening with The Hub,I’m not sure either.

I mean,the reason we are getting a 4th season of Pony was because it proved to be popular enough,right? 3rd season had few episodes because they already reached the number of the syndication.
Itsthinking
Diamond -
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
The thing is, the syndication number essentially doesn’t matter. If the Hub can’t get any kid-focused advertisements on the air because of a mix of FCC regulations and companies not wanting to compete, what network would take shows that to the average person seem like toy commercials?

That’s lies the Hub’s dilemma. They’re not making any money, and they can’t use traditional avenues for cartoons of a certain age because syndication defeats the purpose of the network. It might be better for them to keep everything on one channel anyway.
Background Pony #7EE7
The reason behind MLPFIM’s discovery by /co/ was an infamous article written by a batshit insane “feminist” for Ms. Magazine, decrying the show as homophobic and racist by screenshots alone.

Except it wasn’t. The article that sparked /co/’s interest was one saying that Faust signed onto a franchise show marked “the end of creator-driven entertainment” or some such overreaction.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide