Why do fandoms compete to try and prove they're not nerdy?

cb5
Thread Starter - The time wasting thread

This has confused me for a while; I can understand back idunno twenty years ago when everyone was trying to prove how normal they were by over compensating massively, but this is 2013. It’s considered perfectly normal now for people to watch SNK in class while your teacher is “working” while browsing reddit threads about the latest fallout rumors, while the person next to you is ordering spartan armor cosplay.

I don’t even think there’s even really anything you can consider actually geeky anymore, cause most fandoms that even five years ago were considered “underground” are mainstream now. I even run into people wearing mlp shirts once in a while. I’ve even seen a couple people wearing homestuck cosplays, and even that kill la kill jacket is pretty popular.

If you ask me one of the most cringeworthy things a person can do is try to overcompensate and try to prove to others how “normal” they are. If they’re complaining about individual instances of fans doing something cringeworthy then yeah that’s totally fine. Like the kid that last week got arrested for stealing $800 from her grandma’s credit card for a minecraft server that’s totally fine to mock for the fact that someone stole that much money to play a minecraft server IF you’re trying to not be internet cool, but if you’re talking about as a whole someone going, “Look at all these nerds! I’m totally normal cool person compared to them” that’s pretty cringeworthy in that they’re being a tryhard trying to prove how internet “cool” they are compared to other people.

Tl:dr; In a world where almost every fandom is mainstream is anything really nerdy anymore? And if almost everything is mainstream then what’s the point in trying to argue that something’s less nerdy? Also tryhards that try to prove how internet cool and edgy they are are pretty cringeworthy.
Whatevo
Thread Starter - The great GamerGate discussion.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Arch-Rarifag
Well nobody wants to feel like they’re the odd one out, and popular media has not totally caught up with the times so old stereotypes still play out on screen. Perhaps this gives a false impression.

But more importantly, how many pretty girls are in these fandoms and how many openly admit they are?  
Because that’s probably the culprit.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide