Computers general(help, advice, talk)

Anonycat
Duck - "her mere existence is enough to put me in a quack mood, I might as well return the favor by quacking it around"
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Okay, I guess.
@Background Pony #9F10  
No, I mean programs that automatically activate themselves when Windows is booting, like Office, Adobe reader and such. You always could use msconfig to remove all unnecesary programs from booting with Windows and such.

You can find detailed guides explaining how to do that if you goggle for them.
ᎶㄖҜㄩ 乃ㄥ卂匚Ҝ
One-Star Dragon Ball - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Artist -

Zamasu
So I’ve been looking for a way to have faster internet at my dad’s house (at least until I move out in the next year or two to Las Vegas), and I come across a solution I might try. Hopefully this will cut down on my trips to McDonald’s and Starbucks for wi-fi service.

https://unlimitedlteadvanced.com/residential-home-office/

It’s basically 4G LTE Internet using T-Mobile coverage (a popular choice for cell service here in Utah). From what I can tell, it’s better than fucking HughesNet for gaming and streaming video. I might go with one of these because they advertise unlimited data. Should I?
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@SonGokuMonkey

Can’t say for certain how well it works in the states, but a lot of my clients here in NZ have gone for mobile broadband in lieu of a landline. From my experience of configuring and testing it, it works just as well as wired broadband.
ᎶㄖҜㄩ 乃ㄥ卂匚Ҝ
One-Star Dragon Ball - For supporting the site
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Artist -

Zamasu
Holy shit! The Core i7-8700k is almost $400!!!! What is Intel thinking?! This could potentially give AMD more marketshare now that Ryzen has been out for a while and has proven to be a force to be reckoned with.

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/Oct-02017/OctoberDealmakers_hjf9d8gd_05/index-landing.html?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL100517&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL100517EMC-100517-IndexE0B-cta_-INTEL&et_cid=38540&et_rid=17725437&et_p1=&email64=dGFpX3Job2FkZXNAaG90bWFpbC5jb20=#INTEL
kleptomage
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

My Christmas gift to myself this year was a new computer. I based my build on the Great tier at Logical Increments with a few changes. I got a 500 GB Samsung Evo SSD, a Cryorig H5 CPU cooler, and a Fractal Design Define R5 case with an additional front fan. I used PcPartPicker to find the best prices on Thanksgiving weekend and watched Newegg’s tutorial videos to see how to put everything together.

Building the computer was definitely a learning experience. The tutorial could have been more through. Nothing said that the PCI-E slot has a clip you have to move before installing, so I broke it off pushing in the video card. It’s ok though. The case gives adequate support.

Dealing with the cables was the worst part of the whole build. I had to take out the motherboard to plug in the 8 pin motherboard connector because there was not enough space for my hand between the cooler and the top of the case. The Seasonic power supply is only semi-modular and its unremovable cables are very stiff. I had to order more SATA data and power cables because the power supply did not come with enough for three drives. I’m not happy with the cable management but it’s the best I can do right now.

My goals for the computer were silence, speed, unobtrusive style, and ease of maintenance. Even with the fans at high the computer is whisper quiet, the SSD gives a massive speed boost over my old mechanical drive, and the Define R5 has easily removable dust filters on the front and bottom. A few details of the Define R5 could be better but it’s a good case. The only modification I need to make to it is to put a piece of semi-opaque black fabric over the light because it’s too bright.
wenni
HARD WERK - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art and really hates Applejack
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Pit Lord
@kleptomage  
It is worth noting that the PCIe “clip” can come in different types, and the plastic can be more brittle from one to another. They probably forgot to mention it because it’s usually not an issue with most motherboards.  
Regardless, you’re fine.  
Also SSDs are godlike and should never be overlooked.
kleptomage
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

@wenni  
Yeah, I’m not worried about it.

The first time I booted up Windows 10 on the SSD, it did it in about 5 seconds! Wow. My old computer took a couple minutes both to boot and shut down.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide