Video Game General 2: Definitive/Remastered Edition

Silent_Witness
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Chippin’ In
It feels like in its default setting, autosaves in Skyrim are timed deliberately to happen after something has killed you and thus after a point where they would have been helpful.
Silent_Witness
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Chippin’ In
I’ve always been leery of the fact that the quests to get the Ebony Mail and Ebony Blade require you to kill people. Luckily, the power of CHIM (aka the console) can fix that.
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Every couple of years, I hear the grind calling me, so I buy a month of RuneScape membership. I’ve been having a pretty good time; trying out content that I’ve never done before. Today I fought the Dagganoth Kings and even got a valuable drop.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@TheFinite  
Truthfully, despite it’s flaws I actually enjoyed “Metroid Other M.”

It got some things wrong, but one thing I think it got right, is transitioning the platforming aspect of the Metroid series to 3D, which is one thing the first-person “Prime” games can’t replicate perfectly.  
People oftentimes forget Metroid isn’t just a shooter/exploration game, it’s also a platformer.

Personally, I’m more excited for “Metroid Dread,” then “Metroid Prime 4.” (And in fairness, we know nothing about MP4.)

@NitroFury  
I remember somebody remarking, “We all owe Super Mario 3D All-Stars an apology.” (After all, Super Mario Galaxy works on Switch. Proving Switch can play Wii games, so it’s not a “hardware limitation” issue.)

Hope they patch up Sonic Colors Ultimate, but Twitter does have a tendency to overeact… and it is getting good reviews regardless.

I just don’t want it to fail, as I would like to see a Sonic Adventure 1&2 remake.
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ayriana
@Beau Skunky  
Metroid is exploration and power gain first, platforming second. Metroid Prime was so beloved because it transitioned the exploration and isolation perfectly. I’m sorry but I don’t buy the whole “Metroid is a platformer”. The platforming is such a small focus. It’s there but again it’s secondary to the atmosphere and exploration.  
Other M fails because it has no isolation, it has no exploration. It’s a bad Metroid. Prime is great.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I don’t know. Other M failed not because of the lack of exploration, but because its main gimmick, Samus’ background, the narrative ambition, wasn’t fulfilled well.

The Extra Credits video explained it better than I ever will, even if I’d memorized the video.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Mikey  
I think it got the isolation, and atmosphere down ok personally. It lacked exploration, and backtracking, but still had alot of hidden items like the series traditionally does, but most are accessable only after the final boss. That was another huge flaw of “Other M.”

Though, I disagree that Metroid isn’t a platformer, as frankly in all the sidescrollers jumping on things, and not falling into things are just as important as finding items, and shooting things.  
If you can’t see that, you’re only paying attention to the other aspects. I dare you, next time you play “Super Metroid” without jumping to see how far you can get.

The Prime series was good, but lacked the platforming, and I understand that is harder to do in a FPS viewpoint. (The platforming in Turok 1 was hell at times, I admit.)  
Unpopular opinion, but I still prefer third person sidescrolling Metroids, as they feel more like Metroid to me.

If “Other M” had more exploration, was less linier, didn’t have the bad “excuse plot” for items, reworked the story, (especially Adam’s character) had a Wii nunchuck option, (though, I didn’t mind using just the remote) and such, it would probably of been a really great game.

So I kinda see “Other M” not as a “bad game,” but as an ok, but very flawed Metroid game, lacking some core things, but also retaining some things. It had some unfulfiled good ideas, and promise.
Mikey
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Ayriana
@Beau Skunky  
Platforming in Metroid is merely a vehicle for all the bigger stuff. Prime also isn’t really a shooter, again, combat is simply a vehicle for everything else in the series. 2D and Prime. Prime feels like a Metroid. The first person perspective just adds to the immersion.  
I disagree, other M lacked isolation because you’re always told where to go, what do do. Fusion got that right. You were told where to go, but you still had to figure out how to get there and it had exploration.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Mikey  
At times you still had to do that in M too, I even got stuck a few times. (Though, not for long.) So there were a few moments you had to use your head. M though just didn’t have enough of that.

I’m just saying it got the platforming right, but not the other things. That’s the only thing I prefer in it over Prime. That’s all I’m saying. I’m not saying it’s better then Prime.

And M had some good bosses, I liked seeing the Nightmare boss of “Fusion” in 3D. So it still had a few good things about it.
Mikey
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Ayriana
And really, the series works perfectly in both styles, and I don’t like the implication that Prime isn’t “really Metroid” because it lacks real platforming.
Mikey
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Ayriana
@Beau Skunky  
Yeah the bosses were pretty cool. Phantoon and Nightmare were highlights. And for the record, I’m also more excited for Dread, because Prime trilogy ended perfectly, so Prime 4 isn’t really needed, but if it’s just the name for the first person Metroids than cool, but I’ve wanted Dread for ages. A fusion sequel. How can I not be hyped?
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Mikey  
That’s not what I meant, it’s still Metroid, but just feels a little different is all I meant. And I just meant the platforming was the only thing OM had going for it.

And I’m open to longtime series exploring other genres. I liked Star Fox Command’s and SF2’s encounter style map gameplay, even though it’s different from classic Star Fox.

And I don’t hate FPS’es, I was just never as into them growing up as I was say, third person shooters, (like StarFox) platformers, RPGs, and such.  
I have Doom & Turok on Switch, and I enjoy them. So I can appreciate the FPS genre.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide