Video Game General 2: Definitive/Remastered Edition

QuasarNova
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Thread Starter - Equestria Girls RPG
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@Ping_chan

Since the source code to create those games belongs to Nintendo then, because of copyright law they own the rights to those games.

However, while Nintendo back in the old days gad to get publishers to spread their games due to the limitations of the time, not unlike hiring an editorial to publish your book. While you allow them to edit and work on the game, the source code does belong to Nintendo on a first term basis, however, because of the time and notorious lack of support, those games fall under the category of Abandonware, which is software no longer published or supported by the rights holder.

Copyright law, specially in the US is like Shelob’s cave mixed with Mordor and twice as scary because it’s a jumble mess.

If you want to get strictly legal then yes, it can be equated to copyright infringement and digital piracy because the source code still belongs to Nintendo, however, if they haven’t bothered securing those games since those studios closed they chances are they won’t really care any time soon
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Professional supermodel
@QuasarNova  
Taking that into account, AlphaDream went out of business recently, but sense the “Mario & Luigi” games are partly made by Nintendo, and features their characters, Nintendo owns the M&L series, and do with ‘em however they want.  
Though, they need Square/Enix’s permission for the Geno cameo, which is why it was removed from the 3DS remake sadly.

The case is different with games like Nintendo’s old Popeye arcade/NES game, which is apparently mostly owned by King Features Syndicate, (owners of Popeye) but I hear oddly in some countries Bandai/Namco has license over it.
Ping_chan
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Pretty soft for a Sony.
@QuasarNova  
That kinda clears up some of the mud. I remember when I first got into abandonware and first downloading games I had originally got on floppy disks years earlier, I thought it was awesome.  
But then when I actually cared to find out how legal it was, even when the companies who made the games didn’t exist anymore, things weren’t exactly clear cut and lead to lots of conflicting opinions on the internet.  
I guess the ultimate truth lies with who currently holds the copy and if they plan on re-releaseing the game in the future.  
If the game features Mario™ then someone may issue you a cease and desist if you share the game online.  
If the game features characters and settings that only you remember and the copyright evaporated into the thin air, you are probably OK.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Professional supermodel
@Meanlucario  
A nice more casual episode, I knew when he made that joke he was going to do it this year, sense he did Street Fighter 2010 back in 2010.

His rant at the end was epic.
Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
On the subject of abandoned games: Does Epic still care about Jazz Jackrabbit? Assuming they’re the ones who made it but I think they were. Because it seems all they care about now is driving Valve out of business through any means necessary…
Red-Supernova
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
I recently finished Ghosts N’ Goblins and Startropics on NES Online. This puts my backlog at 208 games that I have beaten/completed.
Red-Supernova
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
@Beau Skunky  
Yeah, I was kinda intimidated to play Startropics at first since I thought a guy I hate was putting down Ness to make Mike Jones look superior.

Rewind mode and Suspend Points dude. Perfect for games like Ghosts N’ Goblins.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide