Debate thread: About downvoting (modnote:no, not being removed again)

Teraphim

Keep Downvotes, but have an option that lets you hide/sort the site without them. Systems that only want “positive” feedback tend to lack discussion and stagnate (I’m looking at you, YouTube comments). Without criticism, and I don’t mean harassment, artists won’t get as much feedback. I have a rule of having to write why I downvoted in the comments if I do downvote something.

Also the OC is too cute, so keep Downvote Pony.
WingbeatPony
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag horse
@Teraphim  
It is already possible to filter according to upvotes, but being able to sort by them is an easy thing to implement. And don’t worry, if there’s one thing this thread has established pretty firmly it’s that downvotes are here to stay, even if we do end up interpreting them a little differently.
Cirrus Light
Economist -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under his artist tag

Sciencepone of Science!
How much use does the comment button actually get, and would anyone mind if the hide button took its place?
Comment, the older and most vocal of Downvote’s sisters, saw what happened to her youngest sister she loved and was no longer content merely voicing her opinion. She vowed never again to leave her defenseless. So at night (on the thumbnails), she took on a new guise, and became…

Ms. Hide!

She’s not the hero Derpibooru deserves. She’s the hero Derpibooru needs.

Cirrus Light
Economist -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under his artist tag

Sciencepone of Science!
How much use does the comment button actually get, and would anyone mind if the hide button took its place?
Actually, despite making that thing of Comment, I was thinking of perhaps replacing the downvote with the hide?

But eehhhhhh yeah that probably wouldn’t go well. Not actually removing the downvote feature, but… :q

And while part of my protests “but then we’ll lose that beautiful symmetry of [] # [] # [] # [] # [] !

The other part agrees about the clutter. Of the buttons, the comment button probably is the least useful, since it just saves you one spin of a scroll wheel, and most of the time, I at least, just use notifications to hop to a reply.
Background Pony #DFA3
I think just having faves wouldn’t be too well if it comes to certain images.

Like say that you are a guy that only draws SFW cute stuff, but you also have a fetish for some pretty hardcore kinks and fetishes, but you don’t want to fave them, because that would allow the whole site to see that you faved it.

So if you have faves and upvotes, that means you can still like the image, without the risk of people finding out about your kinks.
Kincyr
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Non-Fudgsicle Token
I think just having faves wouldn’t be too well if it comes to certain images.
Like say that you are a guy that only draws SFW cute stuff, but you also have a fetish for some pretty hardcore kinks and fetishes, but you don’t want to fave them, because that would allow the whole site to see that you faved it.
So if you have faves and upvotes, that means you can still like the image, without the risk of people finding out about your kinks.

that might be the reason that Pixiv has two favorite lists: Public and Private
Background Pony #DFA3
@Kincyr

@Zeb  
Would it make sense for Derpibooru to add in a private fave list, or would that be more hassle then it’s worth?
tuypo1
Non-Fungible Trixie -

There are many good reasons for keeping downvotes but I would like to adress the idea that you can always just say why art is bad in the comments.

Sometimes you can tell a piece of art is bad but lack the artistic knowledge to tell why it is bad. Should a persons opinion not count in that case?
ushiki
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Yellow Man has no words
@Zeb  
Faved. Upvoted. Downvoted. Commented. Watched. Filtered. And upvoted again~

And, if we’re very, very lucky, they’ll do it in that order.
neutralgrey
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -

Honestly I don’t care about downvotes, but I have to side with the mods because many of the users were acting like toddlers, whining and fussing over something so meaningless. It’s embarrassing to be honest, especially when they cried “DEMOCRACY!!!” I just want to remind everyone that this is a privately owned site, not a government. If you don’t like it then make us both happy and leave
ushiki
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations

Yellow Man has no words
@neutralgrey  
Your thesis is wrong because your presupposition is wrong: to take away the ability to express opinion on DB at all you need to remove commenting first. It didn’t happened (this time at least). The discussion afaik is about habitual way to express opinion.
neutralgrey
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -

@ushiki  
That’s not what I’m talking about, I’m pointing out that the users complaining about losing their ability to downvote are making a mountain out of a molehill. It reminds me when many users were infuriated when Twilight became an alicorn.
Vree
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@neutralgrey  
I think there’s no need to derail the discussionto take time to explain to you why, say, a tyranny is impossible to run on just a “my way or the highway” system either. You’ll find these out as you grow older anyway. In the meantime, I don’t think you are contributing.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide