Debate thread: About downvoting (modnote:no, not being removed again)

ArrJaySketch
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@tuypo1  
Speaking as one who has been a member of many art communities, it’s all about delivery. “This art is bad” isn’t helpful to anyone because it doesn’t explain why. In that way, that particular comment would be bad because it’s so vague it’s pretty much useless. What part of the drawing looks like it needs improving? The face, legs, arms, does the background look off? Even that is more useful than “it’s bad”.

In any given crowd, there are also always some people who cannot criticize a thing without also insulting it (rule 0). It’s entirely possible to strongly criticize a thing while being very civil.
Vree
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

Back to the discussion:

Has a karma system been suggested before? It’d % your + and - votes (add up the upvotes and divide it by your total votes) and assign the same result to you as Karma.  
If the % of downvotes surpasses a certain ratio, say 10%, then the worth of your negative votes on each picture will be reduced. Repeating every 10% until negatives from your account are above a significant ratio, say 60%+, votes from your become practically 0 value (AND even vanish from the pictures at this point.)  
You should be able to track your current “karma” on your profile. You can get out of a low karma by upvoting more pictures and removing downs, naturally.

I think the goal is a moderation-light solution against mass downvoting (…and other problems I haven’t caught), so identifying a “normal user” % and punishing using more could help, maybe?
JP
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
@Vree  
That’s pretty much the reputation system that was tried back in 2013 (or thereabouts). The little green/yellow/red boxes next to your username, that showed your upvote/downvote ratio. It didn’t live long.
The Smiling Pony
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Vree  
We ran with a karma system for a week about three or four years ago. Some people instantly saw having “bad karma” as badge of honour and mass downvoted everything they could as fast as they could. Shocker, some people are jerks.
SuperSupermario24
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

fluffy sylveon
For what it’s worth, I at least use the comment count shown on thumbnails pretty frequently, because I like to quickly see if images have comments on them. I don’t use the actual button very much, though– but it’d be pretty weird for the comment count to be there without some sort of icon to accompany it.
Background Pony #B788
Since a lot of this discussion is about legit constructive criticism I had an idea. Won’t hide it, kinda inspired by dA.

Add a second “comment” section on images, but only for critique. Available only if images have an artist tag (so not available on screencap pictures and such), users can write reviews and critique there and, optionally, give between 1 and 5 stars to the pic. Comments in reply to these reviews can only be posted by: the reviewer that posted it, the artist/artists involded (must have account linked to the artist tag) and site staff.

Comments and up/downvotes are no longer counted as critism of any sort but as nothing but random comments and user score and so won’t require as much moderation as before. Any multi-account abuse/plain rude messages affecting score, comments or critque will still be punished of course.

This would also help legit critique not get lost in pictures with many random comments.

Optional: users can toggle on and off the 5-star rating on thumbnails. I guess it’d show on the bottom of the thumbnail.
Vree
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

@The Smiling Pony  
The one I had in mind would not be public, only visible on your own profile. It’d only show there for the sole purpose of warning people that they were running out of downvotes to spend.

But it doesn’t even require that sort of slow transition. There can simply be a rule that “your downvotes can never exceed 10% of your downvotes”. That limit isn’t actually that arbitrary because you can always “earn” more as you upvote new pics.  
And again, this wouldn’t be for the sake of “forcing” people to vote one way. The purpose would be to filter out mass downtoving users, using the thesis that regular users will by their own will downvote less as a basis to differentiate between the two.

Well this is just one random noob’s idea, I’m sure you all have already extensively researched how other big sites generally dealt with similar questions and what type of solutions they have tested and tried.

@Background Pony #5C6D  
Sounds possibly workable though unlike DA, most pictures aren’t uploaded by their creators who usually don’t even visit the site, so “critiques” would be addressed to thin air.  
DA comments are addressed to the artist, DB comments are addressed to other users.
Background Pony #B788
@Vree  
Not according to the staff, or they wouldn’t talk so much about criticism. Anyway it’di be a way to get more artists active here.
Nonymous

You fucked up, TSP.
@Vree  
>this isn’t forcing anyone to vote one way  
>must give positive votes if you want to give negative votes at a 10 up/1 down ratio

K.
The Smiling Pony
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Vree  
If we’re keeping downvotes as a thing, I don’t want a system that requires “spending upvotes to earn downvotes”; I’m not wanting to encourage “frivolous” upvotes, and if downvotes are kept then there would be legitimate users that could have reason to downvote more than they upvote.

For some context/timeline, whatever:

full  
full  
full  
(identities of the two mods hidden because, well, I know how some people are)

It’s been an issue for years (as mentioned earlier, the karma/reputation system was even before the first of those threads), and for a group of people that are essentially digital hoarders, it’s been a frustrating problem to deal with (seeing artists quit because of downvote-related issues) and tiresome to moderate to keep things from being even worse (without the constant moderation on this matter, you’d be seeing a lot of Flash Sentry, Starlight Glimmer, and Twilicorn images in negative numbers, nevermind random ships and artists and whatever else “particularly dedicated” people take issue with).

The reason “this” happened as it did is a mix of the utter exhaustion with the topic leading some mods (myself included) to finally want to end it for once and for all, and a large deal of inner miscommunication regarding the goals of the change (was originally not meant to be this absolute), the change itself (done because it was the least time demanding and incurred no data loss if reverted), its announcement (or as you noticed, the lack of), and eventual rollout (aka sudden). Timezones and working hours across three continents are a bitch, as is just being tired.

If nothing else, at least a few people may now realize that there is a problem.

And people are now working on solutions that include image hiding and try to ameliorate the issues caused by downvoting without removing or vanishing it which we’re hoping will please people.
ushiki
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations

Yellow Man has no words
I can’t remember whether you’ve admitted that vote system didn’t work as intended since the very beginning because it turned out to be counterintuitive for lot of fair users (i prefer the word “innocent”).
The Smiling Pony

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Nonymous  
Thank you for your important contribution.

The guy wasn’t talking about “this particular image is bad/offends me” people, but the sort that will downvote all 50 images from an artist regardless of quality or content type just because they had the “wrong opinion” about Fallout 2 in a tumblr post, or the last 100 images of Spike x Ember because the tag count is inching in on their Spike x Sweetie Belle ship. That sort of voting behaviour says nothing about the image and is just done to spite the artist, the people that like the content, or attempt to get people to stop liking things they don’t like because they’re incapable of accepting different opinions exist and just hiding a tag.
The Smiling Pony

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Nonymous  
If you’re not going to contribute to this thread in any way other than memes and barbs, I’d ask you to stop. Some people here do actually want to have a discussion that goes somewhere productive.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide