Debate thread: About downvoting (modnote:no, not being removed again)

Nonymous
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

You fucked up, TSP.
Wait, smiling and frowning are the same person? I thought having multiple accounts was against the rules.
Which just reinforces you’ve never read the rules, as multiple accounts have been covered as “OK” for half a decade.
People that are afraid that leaving criticism would have a negative effect downvote instead.
There’s no way you believe that a significant portion of people downvoting rather than leaving actual criticism are doing so out of fear of a “negative effect”, rather than simple laziness or utter lack of care.
In either case, downvotes aren’t getting removed.

a. I’ve read the rules on the upload page plenty of times, but only skimmed over more than THE BIG BOLD RULE OUTLINES, one of which mentions multiple accounts, which doesn’t apply to me, so no I never bothered reading the specifics.

b. Don’t assume to know what I believe, sweetie. And that’s a great way to demonize “a significant portion of people downvoting” .

c. So why are we still talking about this in the thread specifically for debating over being for or against downvotes?
The Smiling Pony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
c. So why are we still talking about this in the thread specifically for debating over being for or against downvotes?
Because some people are discussing how we got here, as well as what can be done about the problems that lead to this situation.

Others are just here to be annoying.

I could rename the thread to something more in-line with the actual topic, but I’m sure someone would call that power abuse.
Nonymous
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

You fucked up, TSP.
I could rename the thread to something more in-line with the actual topic, but I’m sure someone would call that power abuse.

As long as you propose it and wait a few minutes to make the change in case someone has a problem with it, you should be fine.
Mange

Dr Mange Drange MD

The fact you even feel the need to ‘cast vote’ for that is absurd.

@ArrJaySketch  
@The Smiling Pony
I think renaming the thread would be good choice, honestly.

gargling noises
ushiki
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Yellow Man has no words
Very true. A better example would be the site layout change, that was irreversible.

It’s good example. I was so mad at these changes once i went to css tutorials and made my own stylish patch.
SuperSupermario24
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

fluffy sylveon
My “alt” has always been public, blatantly so.
To be fair, I wouldn’t really call it “blatant”. Yeah, it’s something you’re probably going to pick up after using the site for a bit, but to someone who hasn’t been very active on the site, especially around moderation stuff, it’s not immediately obvious.

Although you do definitely have a point. You’re not actually trying to masquerade as someone you’re not, you just have a second account that doesn’t have a red “Site Administrator” tag (and the people who insist that everyone in power should always carry a visible tag like that give me the impression that they’re someone who only cares about following the rules when they know there’s a mod around).
toxicitzi
BUY SOME APPLES! - Derpi Supporter
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

I am fine either way, with or without a downvote button. I will say a few things about downvoting, it’s lazy. It can be useful sometimes but right now it outweighs its very few benefits, mainly because comments are far superior even in those few situations, more creativity and laughs can come from them.

If downvotes stay or not is irrelevant to someone like me as I stopped having discussions here, but if there are those who want to improve the site starting with the community, a thing that’s arguably the most important thing here? Don’t you think adding more of an incentive to reply will help?

It’s not about everyone thoough, but it is about a few really hopeless cases. I think the site has far more tools to help through with browsing images based on one’s taste, when the site decides something like filters is detrimental, I’ll be here with everyone yapping on about bringing it back.
Nonymous

You fucked up, TSP.
want to improve the site starting with the community, a thing that’s arguably the most important thing here? Don’t you think adding more of an incentive to reply will help?

So you’re saying we should remove the voting system all together?  
Because upvotes are just as lazy.
Background Pony #1A4C
I came in late to the party, but here’s my two cents:

Why the ever-loving fuck would you fix something that ain’t broke?

And don’t pull the “abusing the system” bs, people downvote because they don’t like something. If a drawing is shitty, we downvote it. If we don’t like the content/message of the art, we downvote it. It’s really simple, and typically the good posts that people “abusively downvoted” are outweighed by upvotes.

Are we trying to foster a “safe space” mentality here? Where NOBODY’S shitty art or art with hateful messages or illegal things is considered bad? Why even have a scoring system, there shouldn’t be popular posts because someone might feel left out because their art/post didn’t make the cut! Why even allow favorites, because you know what they say about playing favorites! Remove the report button while you’re at it, because who cares if a post is a duplicate or is stolen paysite content, taking someone’s post down is MEAN! And remove comments, because they have the potential to deliver CRITICISM!

See where I’m going with this? Also, the part about “hiding” posts… We already have a filter to use, encourage people to use THAT instead of adding a watered-down, redundant feature that ONLY hides one post at a time.

And lastly, as for mass downvoting… How about you tackle the alts and bots responsible for it? Seriously, DON’T just hide the downvote button as the easy way out, tackle the bigger fish!
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ayriana
@Background Pony #F79B  
The problem was people creating multiple accounts and using them to downvote the same image multiple times. How is that fair?  
Also, some people go through a tag and downvote images without looking at them. That also isn’t fair.
Background Pony #FFD9
@Background Pony #F79B  
But if you’d actually read any of the thread you’d know it very much is broken. Downvote abuse is something the mods have been struggling with for years. Tackling bots and alts isn’t something you can wave a magic wand at, it takes a lot of work. Too much work. And unless you’ve ever tried to quickly filter a single image, I dont know how you think the hide button would be a useless feature
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Economist -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag-Bot
Why the ever-loving fuck would you fix something that ain’t broke?

Because it is broken. Just because some people don’t think it’s a problem. Doesn’t mean everyone is ok with it.  
And as had been stated before: Our only input from users before this point was expressing dislike over the downvote system. Since people rarely contact us to talk about a system they enjoy.

Now that we have gotten feedback from artists who approve of the downvote system, we are working on a solution that doesn’t involve removing it.

Where NOBODY’S shitty art or art with hateful messages or illegal things is considered bad?

Critiquing “bad” art would be done through comments. People are allowed to point out what aspect of an image they disliked. The only kinds of comments we don’t allow are people just saying “this is shit” or “Everyone who likes this stuff should be shot”.

See where I’m going with this?

No. I see you trying to appeal to a slippery slope argument, ignoring the various reasons given for the decision to remove downvotes.

We already have a filter to use, encourage people to use THAT instead

We do. And the people who often abuse downvotes are the ones who either refuse to filter tags, or purposefully search for images they filter in order to downvote them. And no amount of messages or bans for abusing the system stops them from doing it again.

And lastly, as for mass downvoting… How about you tackle the alts and bots responsible for it?

As was stated in the opening announcement post: We do. The problem is that both detecting it, and examining it take up moderation time that could be used for handling other aspects of the site. The most difficult part being detecting it.

If it were as easy as just spotting an abuser and stopping them, we would have been doing that.
Nonymous

You fucked up, TSP.
@Zeb  
Now that we have gotten feedback from artists who approve of the downvote system, we are working on a solution that doesn’t involve removing it.

You forgot to mention anyone besides artists having any influence.

Again.
toxicitzi
BUY SOME APPLES! - Derpi Supporter
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

@Nonymous  
is that really relevant, or more relevant to artists who approve the downvote system?

I’m honestly more surprised by the artists who approve it, or want it to stay, because I’m sure they would understand what insecurity is like and that fan art doesn’t need to feel like work.
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Economist -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag-Bot
@toxicitzi  
I can’t go through the comments to search for the ones where artists explain their reasons. But to paraphrase:

They appreciate it as feedback.  
“This image got more downvotes than my other images. That means this work doesn’t appeal to people/needs improvement”

And similar.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide