Multiple character tags

NostalgiaSchmaltz
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Why do some characters have multiple tags for different names? It never really made sense to me.

Ex:  
~~“Limestone Pie” also being tagged “Blinkie Pie”  
~~“Cloudchaser” also being tagged “Stormwalker”

What’s the point of having two different character tags for one character? I mean, you don’t see Trixie images also being tagged “Lulamoon”, or Doctor Whooves/Whoof images being tagged “Time Turner”, so what’s the deal?

Heck, looking again, it seems that “Cloudchaser” implies “Stormwalker”. Why? It’s really redundant.
The Smiling Pony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@NostalgiaSchmaltz  
We have dual tags for characters that have a popular fanon name, then got a canon name via toys or comics or whatnot. If we didn’t do this, then you could say goodbye to Bon Bon, because she’d just be tagged Sweetie Drops or Inkie Pie just be Marble Pie.

People take their fanon names really seriously and my head’s wanted on a platter bad enough as it is, tyvm.
NostalgiaSchmaltz
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)

In the case of “Stormwalker” though, we have a canon name for her which was actually spoken within the show; IIRC “Stormwalker” comes from one of the books and was a “beta name” of sorts. I’d like to think that the show has a higher precedence for canon than the books.
Ferrotter

There’s a legitimate reason for Stormwalker to be on images of Cloudchaser (amusing error in a book). Or Sweetie Drops to be on images of Bon Bon (less amusing toy naming/trademarking issue). I wouldn’t mind seeing both of those alt tags gone, but I’m not bothered by them being there either.

It is however very hard to type a picture of a muffin as the “toy name” alt tag for Derpy Hooves.
NostalgiaSchmaltz

@Ferrotter  
“Stormwalker” is more of a miscommunication between the various departments, IIRC.

It was written as “Cloudchaser” for S2 and spoken that way, but then the later-released book had it as “Stormwalker”, and I’m pretty sure I remember staff saying that it was her “beta name” of sorts and just never got changed for the book.
soundtea
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <soundtea> fappin to cartoon horses

Ocellus is best buggo
@NostalgiaSchmaltz  
Actually it was the other way. They made a script change that referred to her as Stormwalker, but they forgot to change the script so she got referred to as Cloudchaser in show canon.

Cloudchaser was supposed to be a completely different pony.
soundtea
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <soundtea> fappin to cartoon horses

Ocellus is best buggo
@NostalgiaSchmaltz  
That’s the point. She was intended to be Stormwalker, but they changed the pony without changing the name in the script, which was the original Cloudchaser. It was a goofup they admitted to in the book.
Ferrotter

@soundtea  
Not exactly. There were two ponies in the script, Cloudchaser and Stormwalker. Cloudchaser was the one to whom Rainbow Dash said, “Nice flexibility!” Stormwalker’s role was…something else. We’ll never know. Stormwalker was cut out of the episode entirely in storyboards.

However, by the time Stormwalker’s scene was cut out of the episode, the animators had already made a (*nearly?) complete set of flash models of Stormwalker. And they hadn’t made any of Cloudchaser. So when they were told to make a model of Cloudchaser, rather than shelve all the work they did making a pony who now wouldn’t exist, and doing all that work over again to make a brand new pony named Cloudchaser, they just used the existing models for Cloudchaser. And to further save work, they didn’t go through it and re-name every single file that makes up the flash model, they just left the names as Stormwalker. Everyone knew the animation files for Cloudchaser were named Stormwalker.

Everyone on the animation team, that is. Not everyone on the team writing the book. Someone involved with making the book took an image from the files as an illustration, and put the image file’s name rather than the pony’s name under it. Nobody thought to tell them, “With this one particular pony, don’t do that. Her name is Cloudchaser.”

*I suspect they weren’t actually done making the Stormwalker files when they stopped working on them. The files seem to have been mostly just copied from the files for Cloud Kicker, who’s a Pegasus of the same body color. They just changed the file names; changed the face, mane, and tail; and changed the cutie mark. It looks like they didn’t completely finish that last part when Stormwalker was cut from the script and they stopped working on the model. And when they suddenly realized they needed a Cloudchaser model, nobody remembered that they still had a bit of work to do. That seems the most likely reason why in a few poses her cutie mark suddenly changes from Cloudchaser’s shooting star to Cloud Kicker’s cloud-and-sun.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide