WebM Format

Site and Policy » WebM Format Search Posts
anonymous-pony
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Squirrel -

I would really like to propose that Derpibooru start investing in a new image/video format that is vastly superior to the output of a mere gif format.

Not only can the clip become ran in a segment of minutes, it will also cut down on file size.

For a brief comparison, I will put it this way. Gifs would normally be from a thousand kilobytes to even megabytes in double digits, depending on the aspect ratio and length. Now divide that number by 8 (at the least) and that is the size comparison to the gif. What would normally be about 5000KB, it would be reduced to less than or equal to 625KB.

Should I go on further? Not only can you convert video much simpler than a gif but it will come out smoother. Ratios will not have to be compromised for the sake of file size or quality. And here’s the dagger: a 5 second clip that would take up about half of the screen would be laggy in gif format where in WebM it would be a lot smoother.

How’s this for a nail in the coffin? Gif would take a process of demolishing the quality of the clip and would require you to run it in a smaller size in order to run (and will take some computers a while to process). WebM format can even record a full 60fps without the compromise of size and loadout times are near instant.

The future is upon us. Let us embrace it.
SunnySide
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <SunnySide> And how durable the buttholes are.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Wasn’t it said before in the main update discussion thread that it’ll break for anyone with browsers older than five months?  
That’d be great, Having near half the site not be able to use derpibooru.
Clover the Clever
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <@CloverTheClever> I'd pay to see Carcer in a fursuit
Always Codes Drunk - It explains a lot
From the Night - I have technically banned myself a bunch of times...
Since the Beginning  - User number zero

Lord and Saviour
We’re fully aware of the technical implications of WebM and don’t need a thousand threads to explain them to us.

WebM + VP8 is quite efficient, especially compared to gif, yes. It is, however, a video format. We could internally convert the gifs on the site to WebM + VP8 for display, and allow WebM + VP8 uploads, but:

• The overhead of doing so would be considerable - VP8 is a complex thing to encode  
  • Our processing workflow is entirely designed around image content, not videos - videos require other approaches to checks/verification, thumbnailing, resizing and so on.  
  • The display of media on the site is also focused around images

We certainly can implement WebM + VP8, but it would take a huge amount of developer time and as a result may create sufficient load on the server to impact service. Derpibooru doesn’t make money, never has, and actually increasing server-side workload translates to a direct increase in costs to run the site. To an extent this is okay - heck knows we don’t run the site to make money - but the scope for video encoding to consume server-side resources is huge.

WebM + VP8 is a video container. It’s for video. You know where does video really well? YouTube. DailyMotion. Vimeo. Take your pick - there’s a lot of video sharing sites out there and while they’re not focused on pone, I’d be happier building a video section on the site that would let people share and tag etc video content hosted elsewhere than I would be turning us into a half-arsed video hosting site.
Clover the Clever
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <@CloverTheClever> I'd pay to see Carcer in a fursuit
Always Codes Drunk - It explains a lot
From the Night - I have technically banned myself a bunch of times...
Since the Beginning  - User number zero

Lord and Saviour
@Parzival  
WebP is something we already plan to support in future. Our new image upload workflow will accommodate it but we are still looking at ways to ensure backwards compatibility for other browsers (JS polyfills or rendering PNG representations similarly to how we render PNGs for SVG images, etc).
nyxabuse
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

These guys are using html5 video with a gif fallback for rubbish browsers, with some kind of code magic used to detect what to serve up when. Since the html5 videos take up an order of magnitude less bandwidth, it seems like it might be of interest. I think they use ffmpeg (wiki) to convert the gifs into videos.

I know you’ve said that you’re not interested in this, and I have no idea whether the bandwidth savings would be worth the processing overhead & time to set it up, but I just thought I’d throw this out there on the off-chance.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide