Pony Venting Thread

Sadrai

Anyone else feel it Was dumb to make Sunset, Snips and Snails rebuild the school as punishment at the end of the first Equestria girls movie I mean how the hell would they know how to rebuild the school?!?
Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
@Sadrai  
Consider it practical job skills training.

I’m sure if they did it wrong, they would just have to do it again. And again. And again. Until they got it right.

I can imagine Princess Vice-Principal Luna spending day after day standing, watching them, MONITORING them. Scowling.

Mmmmm … yeah … that’s a good ending.
Sadrai

@Derpy Whooves  
I still feel it’s kind of dumb since i don’t think they would ever get it right since there not professional builders there just high school teens and Luna expects them to rebuild a part of the school.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@Sadrai  
lols … haven’t you ever been set a task to punish you that you had absolutely no business doing and then you had to ‘do it right’ and even when you were done with it someone tore it down and then professionals did it for real?

Or haven’t you ever blown shit up that wasn’t supposed to be blown up?
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@CottonTales  
You got a point there, brainwash was a bit of a strong word but it is true that the citizens were very prejudiced to one another. Remember that before Equestria was even founded, the three main pony types hated each other’s guts just for being different and that nearly costed them their lives and livelihoods.
Red-Supernova
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
@AC97
I think Season 9 and the finale in particular were tailor-made to punish these people, while rewarding fans who are basically on the same page as the creators.

I sort of feel personally attacked by that statement.

@Myoozik  
Exactly. Their fates now have to be decided by others as they have lost those rights.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@Sadrai  
Well, I grew up on a farm, where we also logged, so … explosions and being assigned tasks that there’s no way in hell a kid should be doing it were perhaps more a part of my childhood than for others.
TheSultanAkbar
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

@Myoozik  
Racist? Really?  
They’re different species, AND if I was a 2 ft pony, I’d be pretty damn scared of a 50 ft dragon!

I and other probably too thought the “Equestrian diversity” towards the end of the show was a bit… BS? and Neighsay was completely misinterpreted or poorly presented as “racist”, (y’know, even if they are species).
CottonTales
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Ruler of Sheep
@TheSultanAkbar  
Yes but the show constantly depicts the different species in a context that they are roughly equivalent to races in the real world

So the term racist is technically incorrect but speciest first of all sounds silly secondly doesn’t get the point across as clearly
Latecomer

@TheSultanAkbar  
Well, my interpretation was always “they never happened” so many villains have no backstory. (And from what I’ve heard, Tirek’s has him evil to start out with anyway, and Chrysalis is explicitly born that way.)
TheSultanAkbar

@Latecomer  
I… don’t remember. I think all he wanted was to prove to Twilight that a multicultural “friendship school” is impossible consideeing the different species want to kill each other every other tuesday.

Say, what about the Umbrum species, seen in the comics? Where do they fit into the equation? They feed off of terror and destruction. I mean, jeez.  
(I know, you might disregard comic canon but they’re interesting nontheless)
Latecomer

@TheSultanAkbar  
No, his concern was all about Equestrian security and xenophobia. (Being a resident of Canterlot, a city assaulted by foreign forces a few times in recent years and even occupied just before his debut, probably doesn’t help.)

And the Umbrum do sèem pretty nasty, like most of the various forces of darkness we’ve seen in the show.
TheSultanAkbar

@Latecomer  
Hmmm… I think they’re by far the most dark, most evil, most manipulative, most in numbers antagonists we’ve ever seen.  
And they look faaaking cool, like they’re from some Metal album cover or something.  
There’s your real antagonist!
Mr.Myoozik
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@TheSultanAkbar  
I mean yeah, what other way can you interpret that as? Also remember that literally back in Season 1, the ponies thought that a zebra was some enchantress who eats others just because she looked different and scary. So yeah, the pony species had some sort of prejudice to not just one another but to other species (I.e., Neighsay)

I don’t know, I liked the diversity at the epilogue which had everybody coexisting with one another seeing that it was a time skip.
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@Red-Supernova  
Broad statements that people can feel personally attacked by. They’re becoming a lost art.

All joking aside, and speaking of lost arts, I’ve gotten really good a tailoring my expectations. People aren’t required to like everything, but tailoring their expectations so as to not be disappointed is a good idea.

So you go into Season Nine expecting a grand finale. But if you really think about it, you might notice that the pieces for one aren’t exactly there. Discord, Luna, and Starlight are reformed. The Pony of Shadow is defeated. King Sombra is dead. Queen Chrysalis is without a hive and going insane in the woods. Tirek and Cozy Glow are imprisoned in Tartarus. There’s no ultimate threat looming on the horizon. Meanwhile, The Mane Six have long-since wrapped up their character arcs, and there’s nothing left for them to prove.

Without some kind of contrivance, The Royal Sisters’ retirement would have come and gone without incident, so it makes sense that the contrivance is an in-universe one. The moment the Discord twist dropped, I knew The Legion of Doom weren’t getting redeemed. For the record, I have mixed feelings on how they were handled. On the one hand, if you give them protagonist status and have us follow their journey, then it’s a bit jarring to shift perspective away from them without paying off their journey properly. On the other hand, they’re way too much fun to just redeem, and putting them into cold storage means they can come back in the comics and in fanfics.

As for The Last Problem, it was everything it needed to be. The Mane Six are still friends, and still doing what they love. The only reason a person would have a problem with it is if they brought some external thing the show never promised, and the show didn’t affirm it.
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
I just hate how the more rabid portion of the people that hate Season 9 are giving everyone else who doesn’t like it a bad name.

Like i wasn’t a fan of it and i had issues with it but im not gonna be a dick about it and keep trying to demand that Hasbro rewrite it.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@DerpyFast

In hindsight, in contrast to the lens I was viewing it under at the time, it was probably clear with The Summer Sun Setback that the LoD weren’t getting redeemed, with how the narrative was going. Grogar had no idea what was going on, it was their story of how they were toppling him up to that point, they showed no signs of second thoughts for how they were treating ponies (that bait and switch in Frenemies was just that), with Tirek complaining about returning stolen magic, without any empathy to his victims, Cozy still enjoyed being a saboteur manipulator, etc.

There’s also this foreshadowing from The Beginning of the End, that Grogar wasn’t gonna be the ultimate Big Bad on his own:

Spike: And it worked! I mean, if you think about it, there hasn’t been a single villain that we couldn’t defeat.

Which if they were building up to those three attempting a backstab from the end of Frenemies, was probably only ever going one way.

It was also odd how Discord was suspiciously uncharacteristically involved in the S9 premiere (aside from any oddities Grogar might’ve had in general); Discord is never involved in premieres or finales (and seldom is he not causing the issues even in regular episodes) unless he directly has something to do with what’s going on, or he’s personally invested in some way (Fluttershy was captured in S6, and it was a ceremony in the S7 premiere, the rest he directly caused it), and it would’ve been odd for him to start then, if he wasn’t doing it for the Movie, or S7’s finale, or S6’s premiere, or S5. He also seemingly had no real reason to be there in The Summer Sun Setback.

I’ll also note that the last two-parter itself had other sorts of story fuel regarding those three; if they won, Chrysalis was probably not gonna stick with the other two at that rate, past victory, because her MO fundamentally differed from theirs, aside from “baby alicorn is being set up to try to save the world later,” and Cozy Glow kinda wanted to seize control from them.
Latecomer

@Myoozik  
To be fair, I don’t think they knew she was another species - and she lived in the Everfree, which was scarier back then.

@DerpyFast  
An ultimate threat, new or old, could have been contrived satisfactorialy. In fact, one very nearly was - it’s just that as you said, we got build-up but no payoff. (Also, I do think there was room for some personal arc-resolution with the Manes, even if it was just on the level of Pinkie in Last Laugh.)

Last Problem was… OK. Good final song.

@AC97  
Yeah, them being the main villains was only natural… but that didn’t mean their own arc had to be terminated like that.
Mr.Myoozik

Music Connoisseur
@icey wicey 1517  
I’ve always had that problem ever since the leaks and early releases showed up and not even when the episode properly aired, I was getting annoyed by those types of people.

@Latecomer  
That’s fair, and she wasn’t making herself feel presentable either. It would be like if I traveled to India with a giant Confederate flag and with guns visibly strapped on me, I’m sure the locals will greet me very kindly with open arms.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide