Starlight Glimmer Appreciation Thread

radostt
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Letting go of the past
@Background Pony #4E42  
I see what you are saying by Starlight’s revenge on Twilight stopped her from reaching her full potential. Yeah it helps satisfy her ego to be in power or seek revenge. Starlight doesn’t really care about a system of government where everyone is equal, she just wants the power, and people justify her ego by buying to it. The why Starlight says she impression them, brainwashed them, and forced them to give up their cutie marks. Starlight’s ego blinded her from reaching her full potential, in seeking revenge it was a cry for help.  
Then Starlight redeemed herself by giving up her ego; therefore no reason to be power hungry. She also had to learn to let go of the past by feeling guilt first. Starlight is not feeling guilty because she fears she will go back to her old ways, she isn’t sure if she wants to lead again because of that, she doesn’t know if she can handle the power. In other words Starlight’s guild is from her past; and her fears come from leading and having power again. She feels guilty FOR what she did, not for what she is afraid she will do. One of the reasons Starlight is afraid of becoming power hungry and egotistical again is because she doesn’t want to hurt her friends. Starlight also doesn’t like being that pony, she realizes the importance of love.  
“ She could instead try to adjust a more benevolent ruler ship, one that doesn’t use spells or force. One where she doesn’t betray her ideals over such power or bounty.” <–– that is the role Starlight was heading before the show ended, it started with being head mare of the school of friendship. That’s literally the point, she learns to be a more benevolent ruler that embraces what makes her subjects special instead of try to suppress them. One where her ego and self interest do not come first.  
Starlight doesn’t need to be evil or oppose Twilight to get there. The point is her friendships will lead her down that path. You and I literally agree where Starlight’s place should be, but we just don’t agree with the road it takes to get there. Shes not to stubborn to let go; leading is just part of her special talents
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Background Pony #4E42

@radostt

Hmm, I was watching the end of season five again. Wasn’t the moral of the story actually the one that no matter how different you are, you can still be friends, or find new friends in life? That one should not live in the past, but rather move forward and welcome the opportunities with open arms?

Of course I understand the fascination of Starlight Glimmers alternative way of life compared to the existing system of ponies in Equestria. Here we have an allusion to the differences between different social systems in the real world. But that was a parody by M. A. Larson. In essence, the point is that we do not define ourselves by a single characteristic, that we can accept others and make friends with them. That these friendships are absolutely important.

I don’t think that Starlight Glimmer acted really selfish or egomaniacal. She was driven by a trauma (I won’t go into the details of how this trauma was weakly portrayed), and therefore tried to convince others of her idea of an alternative way of life. Starlight in particular realised that she should not be in a responsible position in her situation at that time. She was stressed by her past actions and had to realize that there are no shortcuts in life to make real friends. Especially as someone who had to cope with his experiences in the war in Afghanistan, I can understand that very well. It was only after she had really changed that she was able to obtain a new position of responsibility in life.

My point is that Starlight Glimmer shows where misconceptions and an almost fanatical adherence to beliefs can lead. Especially to me as a German, this seems very familiar. It speaks directly to me. But first and foremost, Starlight is important to me because she has accepted friendship as an ideal. And I am pleased that she was rewarded for it in the end. You should not question this path. It was one of the best developments in the show ever. At least that’s my humble opinion. ;-D
radostt

Letting go of the past
@Background Pony #4E42  
In “all bottled up”, Trixie’s behavior was unacceptable. Starlight decided to bottle her emotions because she thought that Trixie would no longer be friends with her if she shared how she felt. She learned her friendship is stronger than words. We learned that emotions can influence how strong ponies magic is.

RESPONDING TO IF SHE IS BAD—–

Her dark side is her desire for control & power, but she is in balance with her friends. When you are in balance, you are in harmony and can be good. Now she is afraid of losing it all; her friends. That is why Starlight is chaotic neutral.  
The closest character to Starlight is discord who is true chaotic neutral. But he starts as chaotic bad before he finds friendship.  
You can be in balance with your dark side, it doesn’t have to control you. You achieve this by not looking at your dark side as a bad thing. Ponies can learn to control their ego; it’s not impossible.
landshark15

@radostt  
I guess we just have to agree to disagree, because personally I just miss Starlight’s more devious side. Her current form is still good, but I still have a bias to like anti heroes/anti villains more and ideals clashing within a society.
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
Do I spy with my little eye… an actual discussion in this thread? Yay!

I for one liked cunning Evil!Starlight a lot. She was the show’s best villain for a lot of reasons, and while she’s a good hero, it feels like potential was wasted.
radostt

Letting go of the past
@DarkObsidian  
“My point is that Starlight Glimmer shows where misconceptions and an almost fanatical adherence to beliefs can lead. Especially to me as a German, this seems very familiar. It speaks directly to me. But first and foremost, Starlight is important to me because she has accepted friendship as an ideal. And I am pleased that she was rewarded for it in the end. You should not question this path. It was one of the best developments in the show ever.” Yeah, we both can agree on that. People project hard on starlight.  
Pretty sure you agree that her trauma led her to need to justify her own twisted options of a perfect society; one with no need for trauma. But she needed followers to justify it.  
Yeah her trauma was poorly portrayed, but the result emphasizes that you can still put your differences aside and become friends.  
Starlight is most certainly at least a little selfish, she wanted Twilight’s cutie mark. People fail to see that having a little ego is not a bad thing.  
Starlight needs to accept that Twilight and her friends are someone tied with the fate of Equestria. Yeah, it’s about putting aside your differences, but it’s also about redemption and forgiving the past. It’s not about differences, it’s about mistakes, and redemption through friendship. She also has to choose to not rip the spell, it’s not just about putting aside differences, it’s about giving up your ego. Putting aside your differences is what twilight taught her, and what Starlight had to do was feel true guilt to accept her friendship.  
Thorax was not portrayed as bad not because of his past, but because he was being stereotyped. Spike puts aside their differences to achieve friendship.
radostt

Letting go of the past
@landshark15  
That’s because when your in balance, you don’t have to be bad. I agree that in the show she is one of the most loving and caring ponies, her personality is also way more relatable in the moment.

de·vi·ous  
adjective  
1.showing a skillful use of underhanded tactics to achieve goals.  
when she leads a monster to attack thoraxes hive, its because dude said he could handle one. Obviously he meant with his hive. They work together, thoraxes brother is accepted for his differences.  
Mind controlling her friends to achieve the friendship lessons like goals.  
Making new friends to bring to Twilight dinner with the princesses. Starlight even tries using magic to make friends.(the motives change)  
“still have a bias to like anti heroes/anti villains more and ideals clashing within a society.” As do it. I think it has to do in part with having a cereal view of society thought trauma.
radostt

Letting go of the past
@GenericArchangel  
I embrace seeing all sides of Starlight, but there is only one Starlight in the show. The fans portray her twisted, so they think that’s how she is in the show. I really enjoy the content though; It’s not the first time i have been in a situation where you would have to fight a battle a million times.
radostt

Letting go of the past
Look guys; I believe there is no such thing as bad people, just bad choices. Love is always bestowed as a gift - freely willingly and without expectation. I also find pleasure in others’ humility. Humility(shame) breeds pride; and that’s what I believe. The first step to happiness and love is letting go of your greed and accepting others into your life. I am here to learn and love. I really have learned so much talking to you all, and I hope you are doing well. I wish to continue discussing, but not out of spite or anger. Instead lets keep it about our love for Starlight Glimmer and each other; and to better understand each others perspectives by broadening our own.
landshark15

@GenericArchangel  
I can see some consequences if the writers tried to keep her at least an antagonist in future episodes. Do they keep her as an outright villain, still bent on revenge and mad with megalomania, like Chrysalis? Well I don’t really think she’s completely evil at the time, she just had issues.

What if they did like what I said and made her into more an anti villain, handling her anger issues, relying on more ethical methods, and etc? In that case you might have to dedicate some episodes to show her growing, but in this case I doubt Twilight and gang would be along with her, nor Trixie or Sunburst.

At the very least I can expect Sunburst seeing her in jail, at the start of S6, talking about how both of them left off. And then he’d ask her that if she’s not changing her mind at the very least, he’d ask her to be careful and ethical in the future, but she likely has to walk that path without them. Maybe she meets new people and finds a second in command who’s sympathetic to her cause, but bottom line is her company would likely be different than what we got.

What about pacing her perspectives since her company is likely different from the main cast? Do they give her focused episodes on her, like Frenemies for the legion of doom, or share episodes with A and B plots like in Summer Sun Setbacks, maybe a bit of both?

What about her end goal of her character arch? Does she give up her ideals and re-accept Twilight’s offer?
landshark15

Anyone wonder how she got her cutie mark? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t remember a time when the show goes into detail of hers. Did she even care about trying to get it back then? What were her thoughts when she got it? She was probably practicing magic that led her to getting it, but to think the path she then takes, seems a bit sad.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide