Cartoon/Western Animation General

Oddball64

Normal is overrated
@Jarkes  
I never watched the original Ben 10, but I kinda like the new art style for the reboot. Maybe it’s because I like cartoon style over anime style.
pixel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

@OptimusPrimevil  
As superficial as I’m sure it’ll sound, I can think of quite a few shows I never gave a fair shot due to the art style. Like when everyone was raving about Adventure Time when it first came out, I couldn’t bring myself to watch it because I thought it was one of the ugliest shows on TV at the time.

Granted, I have gotten over art I didn’t like before if I enjoyed the show. For example, Ed Edd & Eddy looked atrocious to me, but when my friends started talking about it, I liked it once I got over its visuals.

Then, the other way around, there are some cartoons I got into because I liked the art and animation. MLP was like this for me. I think to me, art isn’t everything, but it’s certainly a bonus that makes me more likely to check a show out if I like the way it looks.
OptimusPrimevil
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@pixel  
I remember at least two reviews (technically one, the other was referenced) about anime who have GORGEOUS animation but 0 plot (desert rose and plastic little).

what about shows that are hampered because of who are linked to it?
pixel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

@OptimusPrimevil  
Yeah, I remember people having a similar stance about the movie Avatar when it first came out (although it’s not so much 0 plot as much as it is generic plot). Although, as far as I can see, the opposite case (good writing/mediocre to bad art) is a lot more common.

I can’t think of many shows I avoid because of people who work on it. The only instance that comes to mind right now for me are Seth MacFarlane’s shows, but that has more to do with me just not liking his characters, finding the art and animation kind of bland, and not not finding his jokes all that funny. Then again, I don’t pay much attention to behind-the-scenes stuff; I still don’t pay much attention to which MLP writers’ episodes I like.
OptimusPrimevil
Artist -

@pixel  
people were curious about the new tech (3-d) and got wowed by it to notice the flaws?

full  
this is a pretty good show IMO. it’s just people don’t give it a try because of the creator’s previous work. other than that, the only main complaint it the use of the word ‘noob’ a lot in the titles (that and people think the term is ‘trying to be hip when it’s already obsolete (the word)).
OptimusPrimevil
Artist -

@pixel  
I just remembered this

full

a LOT of people lists the character designs as the biggest hurdle for them to even try the show (“muppets” is the most common term of ‘endearment’).

Family Guy once made a (harsh IMO) ‘take that’ at the show because of the art style.
OptimusPrimevil
Artist -

@Chilly Pepper  
almost everyone’s off when you first saw them. takes a while to get used to them (practically the same case with all new shows with non-standard art).

it’s just BB is the most well-received show I know where the art is the biggest stumbling block to people giving it a chance.
Chilly Pepper
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Tea Drinker
@OptimusPrimevil  
@Pepsi Twist

As far as Tina (voiced by Dan Mintz) goes, the creators originally wanted to go with two sons and one daughter in the Belcher family, but found that the dialogue played better and the audience ended up liking Tina more than the originally intended “Daniel”.

full  
full
Kirb
Thread Starter - Stranded (Anthro/NSFW)
Artist -

So, quick question everybody. How many cartoons (and I’m not counting ones like Family Guy that are made for adults, I’m only talking about ones that show on children’s programming) have confirmed LGBT (specifically gay or lesbian) characters?

I know The Legend of Korra had the main character turn out to be lesbian or at least bi, and I know that Steven Universe also has some characters like that. And don’t anyone dare say some shit like “They’re rocks so they have no genders. They still take on male/female personas, and let’s face it, the way most of us heard about that show was because “ZOMG SPACE LESBIANS!” So they count.

But yeah, any other shows like that? Just curious.
Chilly Pepper
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Tea Drinker
@Kirb  
Well, not counting Mission Hill and other cartoons aimed at an older audience, there are Jeff’s moms (EJ and Sue Randell) on Clarence, Harold and Howard McBride on The Loud House, … and then I’m drawing a blank at the moment.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide