General Anime Thread

dt
Diamond Tiara's Diamond Tiara - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
The 1% - Uploaded 1% or more of the site's images
Happy Derpy! -
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 150 uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Azur Lane ep 1 was fun.

Solid storytelling for the sort of world and franchise that this is. I liked that this immediately starts with fights between ship-girl factions, which I find more interesting than fighting aliens or whatever. They do throw a lot of characters at the viewer at once, but that’s a product of trying to adapt this sort of franchise into an anime. I found it more engaging than FGO ep 0, at least.

I liked the implication that this is about what war (and, thus, the purpose of the ship-girls) actually is. While shows like this exist to indulge in the “fun” of war without exploring the consequences, this ep acknowledges that even after an existential threat, human misunderstanding and war will always remain. I can’t honestly expect this to be that nuanced and realistic about these ideas, but I wouldn’t mind being surprised.

I liked the more modest designs of the show best, like Enterprise and Cleveland. (I also liked that one girl who was performing an idol routine in front of no one.) I love archery as an aesthetic, and I’m glad they kept that element.

I didn’t mind all the close-ups in the action, I never liked the wide shots of the girls skating across the ocean. I liked the decision to have normal-sized carriers and planes along side the ship-girls. The fights are still pretty silly, but they’re fun. (And like I said, they’re not meant explore any serious consequences anyway.)

The immediate concern is if this is going to actually try to tell a focused story (let alone tell a good one) instead of just trying to get people’s waifus enough screentime. But if Uma Musume can do it, Azur Lane and FGO should as well.

full

Houkago Saikoro Club ep 1. Not all those who wander are lost.

The first half hones in on the main character’s anxieties, and has all this pretty scenery and dramatic music, and has her learning a lesson about the beauty in the world around her. Totally fine decision in the abstract, but the character only offers trite self-reflections like “I don’t know what fun is” or later, “I know I had fun, because I’m smiling now.” I guess the show wanted to establish it’s going to be about more than just board games, but that scene didn’t really help humanize her.

The rest of the ep was the cast actually playing a board game, and it’s totally fine. The cast has a familiar but effective mix of personalities, and they very quickly established an easy rapport. The last few minutes were particularly good at showing the camaraderie developed through games. Just makes me wish the show would focus on that. I thought it was just video game anime that did this, but board game anime do it, too.

I was down for this being a slice-of-life anime about board games, with good art and very pretty designs. (Aya’s hair is incredibly good.) But the show wants to be more than that. I can’t knock it for aiming higher, but it’d better deliver.

Ahiru no Sora ep 1. Not bad overall, but I really can’t stand the bigger guy being a creep.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 150 uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Dr. Stone ep 14. Behold, the power of caffeine.

This was another fun ep, had neat ways for the science team to overcome their obstacles.

FGO, Black Fox, and more Flip Flappers tomorrow. Hopefully.
Flying Pancake
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Wallet After Summer Sale -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

@dt  
(I also liked that one girl who was performing an idol routine in front of no one.)

That’s San Diego; if her popularity in-game is anything to go by, we should be seeing plenty more of her. And given how many planes the bad guys were using in the first episode, having an AA cruiser around makes sense story-wise, too.

@Selaphiel  
I’m guessing/hoping that episode 1 was just a shotgun blast of “look at everything we can do!” and they’ll be a little slower and more focused going forward. The opening seemed like it was alternating between large-scale war with the bigger ships and lighter slice of life with the starters; that could be a good way to structure the show, as long as they don’t switch too rapidly between the two.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Black Fox was fun. Writing was kinda thin, but I do appreciate a revenge story with a strong theme about forgiveness, where kindness is not naivete. The villains were laughably incoherent, but the main three’s absolute knockout designs, lovely character acting, and the general production gave it more than enough personality to compensate.

The fight choreography and animation were fantastic. They have a real sense of weight and momentum. The characters felt believably light and agile, while still having a tangible sense of presence. Some strong quiet moments as well, like Mia and Rikka’s talk on the roof, and Rikka going back home. I was pleasantly surprised at how much charisma and chemistry the main three have given how little breathing time they got. Can’t help but wonder what it would’ve been like as a tv series, as it was initially intended, and they got even more time to gel.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

FGO ep 1. Pretty much what I expected.

It’s a very attractive show with pretty girls and cool fights, and no strong narrative or thematic hooks that grabbed me. Already feeling pretty fanservice-y, with a “here’s your waifu” scene with Ishtar. She just showed up out of nowhere, shot some lasers, and then just left. Oh, and there’s also lots of ass shots.

Still, it’s not actively annoying. This premiere didn’t feel terribly inaccessible (which is the big problem with Fate in general), and it is a very visually impressive show. Guess I’m on board.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide