Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
@Typhoon2000  
I do not remember “literally every website in existence” being close to being shut down because of SOPA/PIPA. I remember the minor changes that had to be made to be compliant with the various laws that resulted when they were finally enacted.

There were a specific details of SOPA/PIPA that I was worried about, so I did something about it; for example I made some appointments and then drove the 2 hours to get to my state capital and talked to legislators (multiple times), and phoned my federal legislators and talked to their representatives, and wrote letters to people who I thought had something to say about all of it, and donated to organizations that I thought had a pretty good idea how to fix the situation.

In other words, I didn’t JUST worry. I was worried so I DID something about it. But I’m an optimistic nihilist. So even if literally every website in existence was being close to being shut down that would look like an opportunity for me.

You seem to be practicing chronic worry, or chronic anxiety. Maybe you’re different in other situations or on other social media, but here you complain constantly, foretelling the immanent doom of things that you think are important to you, and seeing anyone who isn’t panicking or who disagrees with you as an enemy seems to be how you respond to being concerned about something. And then months later when the thing you foretold does not happen, you still use your earlier paranoia as proof that you are right.

For example, two months ago you said this site would be gone. You also worried that by 2020 all fansites all over the planet would be gone.

It’s been two months, and this site is still here. It’s 2020, and social media still exists, as do fan sites.

But despite your most extreme predictions never coming true, you keep saying that Every bad thing I predict always comes true.

You think your paranoid delusions of impending doom are more accurate and true about things like whether Derpibooru is going to be shut down than statements to the contrary from the people actually responsible for keeping Derpibooru running.

And even though there is no plausible connection between yourself and what is happening in other countries, you remain convinced that everything that happens to everyone else has a direct, dramatic, and catastrophic affect on you.

This is how your brain works. And you keep practicing this, making your anxiety and paranoia stronger and stronger in a feedback loop that ensures that everything will keep getting worse, and more dire.

If you won’t see a professional perhaps practicing gratitude will help you. Here’s a video from Kurzgesagt that talks about how to use gratitude as a practice to help you be happier, and to help with your anxiety. It doesn’t cost anything - it is free to practice, and even though it feels utterly ridiculous, stupid, and silly, this simple daily practice helps a lot of people. This is no substitute for real professional help - it’s just something you can do by yourself that might help you be a happier, less anxious and less worried, you.

If you are depressed, then getting professional help is really important. If you’re not depressed, you’re almost certainly diagnosable just from the behavior you’ve exhibited on this site. So see a professional.
The Smiling Pony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
MEANWHILE IN AUSTRALIA

Australian court is demanding google provide all the details they have on a user because they left a negative review on a business and the business owner wants to sue for defamation.

Now imagine if ActiBlizzard could get sites to give them info on any user that gives a sub 5-star review on a game so they can sue them for defamation…
Princess Applejack

@AaronMk  
I am hard on Bernie Sanders because I want him to win. He has to beat Donald Trump and that isn’t going to happen with the political noose of Health Care for all being around his neck. Once he gets into office then he can start fighting the establishment and implementing change. Nothing is going to come of Bernie’s ideals if he loses. Because if he loses we get Trump there is no alternative so if I’m going to hang my hopes dreams upon Bernie Sanders I have to know he can win and the fact that you guys keep telling me he needs Medicare for All to do it, that he can’t be flexible that only tells me that you don’t have faith in him.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@Derpy Whooves
Could you summarize what you’re point is?
I didn’t really understand the point.

Let’s say a law changes. It will take months at the very least - or years or even decades in most cases - for that new Intellectual Property law actually starting to show up in how people work with Intellectual Property.

In the meantime, jurisprudence - actual court decisions - “flesh out” the Intellectual Property laws and change how we work with it.

Let’s take the book “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz”, and it’s derivative work, the movie “The Wizard Of Oz”, as an example.

The book is in the public domain, because of the general rule that any work published before 1923 is in the public domain. The story, the characters, everything is free for public use, as far as the book is concerned.

But then the movie “The Wizard Of Oz” was made.

Prior to 1972, creators had to register their works with the Copyright Office for them to be protected. Because the creators of “The Wizard Of Oz” didn’t register the movie’s posters, still photos, set photography, and publicity fliers, all of that went directly into the public domain.

When AVELA started selling merchandise with photos or other intellectual property from “The Wizard Of Oz”, Warner Brothers sued in 2011 to stop them (WARNER BROS. ENTERTAINMENT v. X ONE X PRODUCTIONS).

The court decided that the Warner Brothers’ copyright to the film “extended backward in time” to include the “look” of characters as they appeared in the movie.

As a result, things like the still photographs from the movie were still in the public domain, but the contents of the photograph were still protected by copyright. You could freely recreate the photograph - as long as it was an exact replica. If you edited the photograph in any way though, you would be illegally violating Warner Brothers’ copyright on the characters themselves.

No law changed, but our PRACTICE of the law was dramatically altered.

Another example involving Warner Brothers’ is the 2011 legal case

Prior to this case, things like T-Shirts with Dorothy and Toto and the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion dancing down the Yellow Brick Road on it with the text “There’s No Place Like Home” it were fine to sell. The characters and the costumes and the still photos were not copyrighted, so they were in the public domain.

But since this case, you can’t do that any more.

Now we have to be conscious of “increments of expression” - steps of derivation of an original work. Adding text to that image “increments it’s expression” and it is impermissible.

This is also why you can’t make a 3d rendering of that scene - you would be “adding details” that aren’t viewable in the public domain photograph.

You can recreate the original photograph - printing it on a T-Shirt instead of photographic paper doesn’t “add data”, so the image is in the public domain.

But adding text to the image, or the logo of the company that printed the t-shirt, or recoloring any aspect of the image or editing in another character is all impermissible.

No law changed, but our “practice” of it has changed - in some cases significantly, and the world after that legal case is a dramatically different world than the world we lived in before it. The jurisprudence made the law something that it wasn’t before, and now intangible things like the “look” of a character is protected by copyright, and compositing two separate images that are themselves in the public domain is now impermissible.

This is why judges are important, and why the GOP is so pleased with the number of federal judges that the Senate is getting seated. Will the judges being appointed by the GOP today protect public domain works? Or will they extend copyright to include more intangible elements?

So, yes - laws are important. But the jurisprudence tells you what the law actually does.
Ereiam
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - Organization is important.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Monde de merde
@Apple Thor  
How are we the faithless ones when we believe that Bernie can stay true to his ideas AND win?  
By constantly going like a broken record about Bernie needing to change to win, you’re the only one showing your lack of faith in him here, buddy.  
No wonder you believe that if your logic is completely ass-backwards.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
Australian court is demanding google provide all the details they have on a user because they left a negative review on a business and the business owner wants to sue for defamation.
Now imagine if ActiBlizzard could get sites to give them info on any user that gives a sub 5-star review on a game so they can sue them for defamation…

The United States has a lot of similar laws that protect companies from bad reviews or reviews or videos that expose any objectionable aspects of a company or its operation.

Mostly these are “Ag Gag” laws which make it illegal or even an act of terrorism to, effectively, damage the revenue of companies or to make them look bad for doing something like releasing videos of slaughter houses processing cattle.

An example is the “Agricultural Security Act” which was recently struck down in 2018 for violating the First Amendment, but the “Animal Enterprise Terrorism” seems to be holding up better. People charged under it have been found guilt of terrorism simply for providing technical support for the website that a group creating a video used.

And in some cases, even if all of the charges against people charged under this law are dismissed, they can still sentenced to house arrest for almost a year.

Do not fuck with capitalism, I guess is the warning here.

As you pointed out, Australia has taken the US’s lead and is working on some similar laws itself to help protect companies from bad reviews.
Princess Applejack

@Ereiam  
Bernie Sanders has to change to win. If he doesn’t he loses even AOC admitted Bernie had to be willing to move on things regarding Medicare for All. Bernie Sanders sticking to his policies shows that he can’t really win without Medicare For All and the fact that its a very hard sell politically complicates matters.
Vivace
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
Bernie Sanders sticking to his policies shows that he can’t really win without Medicare For All…
If you think that, then why the ever loving fuck would you think compromising on that would boost his odds of winning? Do you not fucking hear yourself?
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Bernie should reach out for more voters. That’s a truism for all candidates ever.

Compromising on the winning thing will not achieve that. An estimated 70% of the country wants it according to polling, including a majority of the Right Wing voterbase. Including majority Fox News voters, the most brainwashed and misled demographic. Is Bernie supposed to turn his back on 70% of the vote in order to get 30% of the vote instead?

What Bernie should do is look to what was working for his colleagues and see what he can appropriate without watering down his own appeal. Warren especially; before she turned into a sellout her appeal was “She’s like Bernie, but with a more detailed plan”. So Bernie can work that angle in his speeches more. Biden is still technically a contender, and his literal only appeal is that mythical “electability” copout. So Bernie could appeal to the centrist vote by announcing an “electable” candidate as his VP; perhaps go full Obama and make Biden his VP. Buttigieg is expected to crash and burn once voting starts up in states with notable minority voting blocks, so nothing to learn from there.

As for the “M4A is impossible to implement in his first term” and such arguments, we know. That’s the unfortunate side of politics. And yes, I’ll be here whinging about Bernie not fulfilling his full promise when/if it happens. I’m that much of a kumquat. But AOC said it herself - if Bernie pushes for M4A as his starting terms and it get’s “compromised” down to a Public Option, that’s still progress. But if he compromises now, and starts negotiations with a Public Option then that will get “compromised” down to…nothing.
Background Pony #512E
@Typhoon2000  
You got a ton of good, patient advice from TSP and that is your sole response? That’s pretty sad. Maybe if you didn’t constantly whine for attention, you would sit and listen and maybe improve as a person. But you won’t, will you?
Vivace
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
@Apple Thor  
First of all, what makes you think someone as immoderate as Trump is popular among moderates? 2nd, I hope you don’t aspire to be a political strategist; you should give up on that now. If you got hired and spouted that kind of nonsense, you’d run the campaign of whoever was foolish enough to hire you straight into the ground.
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Artist -

Ayriana
@Dustcan  
I thought a lot of voters wanted universal but not that many. That just solidifies what I was saying. If Bernie compromises now he’ll definitely lose a lot of support. I’d probably list some sources for that just in case, though.
Violet Rose in The Rain

@Apple Thor
First of all, what makes you think someone as immoderate as Trump is popular among moderates? 2nd, I hope you don’t aspire to be a political strategist; you should give up on that now. If you got hired and spouted that kind of nonsense, you’d run the campaign of whoever was foolish enough to hire you straight into the ground.

Let’s get him to be hired by Trump.
Ereiam
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - Organization is important.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Monde de merde
@Vivace  
I’m not even sure what he’s trying to accomplish by parroting the same thing in this thread over and over: regardless if he’s right or wrong, Bernie won’t change because he says so, so it’s pretty much pointless anyway…
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Artist -

Ayriana
@Vivace  
Trump is only truly popular among hardcore conservatives who will back Trump even if he, and I quote, “shoots someone in the middle of the street”. Meaning he thinks his supporters are dumb, not loyal.
Vivace
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
@Ereiam  
Man, there really is no reason to let the back & forth continue with someone who makes a brick wall look agreeable.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide