Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

IWTCIEM
Duck - 100+ images under their artist tag

@lonewolf
Well when most of them are okay with kids being slaughtered in schools, that pretty much makes them terrorists.
Plus they perpetuate conspiracy theories, claiming Sandy Hook and other mass shootings were faked, or that Australia is under a dictatorship, and they’re always talk about wanting to fight against a tyrannical ATF. They worship dangerous vigilantes like Kyle Rittenhouse and their answer to the current violence is for more teachers and even kids to carry more AR-15s.
Background Pony #0E9C
Well when most of them are okay with kids being slaughtered in schools, that pretty much makes them terrorists.
Buddy, you truly don’t know what the word “terrorist” actually means, if you unironically think that.
IWTCIEM

@lonewolf
Not far-fetched considering 74 million Americans voted for Trump in 2020, even more than in 2016. It goes to show how utterly insane the US as a society has become.
@Background Pony #0E9C
“Terrorism, in its broadest sense, is the use of violence and fear to achieve an ideological aim. The term is used in this regard primarily to refer to intentional violence during peacetime or in the context of war against non-combatants (mostly civilians and neutral military personnel).”
Hmm, given how the extreme US gun culture has claimed the lives of so many innocent men, women and children, and how gun owners allow the killings to continue so they can keep their guns, that fits the definition perfectly. It would take an insane amount of mental gymnastics to try and point out differences, but that’s exactly what it is.
HorsesandMuchMOAR
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Gallusposting since 2019
So your solution would be:
mass arrests of everyone who doesn’t give the guns to the state
everyone should give their guns to the government, and strict permits are required (like in Malaysia, where no citizen can simply buy a gun).
The Smiling Pony
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
Anyway, fixating on gun ban type measures ignores the real reasons these sort of events happen in the first place (plus the general high violent crime rate). It might be an attractive stopgap, it might even slightly reduce the deathcount temporarily, but it won’t fix the causes.
And ultimately we’d just see the numbers replaced by stabbings, acid, bombs, gas, etc. instead.
Unfortunately the dems are much, much less willing as a party to tackle why shootings happen and just focus on the surface level “within reach” high-publicity causes. And the GOP… well, it’s the GOP, they’d prefer to take the country back a hundred-some years, never mind even acknowledging the country has issues (outside of ~cancel culture~ or gas prices etc)
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
Though I can’t speak to what happened in the UK, I know that in Australia, like here in NZ, the confiscation wasn’t that successful (20-30% aren’t good metrics in my books), and its effects are being undone thanks to 3D-printing. You pull a Jacinda in the states, and watch as my friends turbocharge development of 3D-printed gun designs that as of right now, are more theoretical than practical, due to the need [in America] not being there. Once the social contract is broken on guns, your party sure-asshit better remain in power, because the second it loses it, you can kiss goodbye to any gun control whatsoever, and people will be stockpiling arms like there’s no tomorrow.
Also, why England and Australia? Why not copy Switzerland or Czechia or Finland? They have access to the same guns there, yet mass shootings are extremely rare.
They say the same thing about New Zealand, so I know the feel, bro. Case-in-point: I’ve quoted Tarrant’s manifesto directly to police officers in much the same way people have quoted Mein Kampf to idiot liberals to see if they agree with any of its points (and if they do, springing who the author was on them), and I have yet to be arrested or even fined for it.
I’m sure you’ve heard something to this effect “The dictatorial rulers of Australia/New Zealand want to turn their countries into a Marxist-Leninist state!” I usually hear it repeated by moronic anti-vaxxers here, but my response is always the same whether is ignorant rightoids or anti-vaxxers: “Do you even know what Marxism-Leninism even means!?”
Background Pony #1D40
As a European, I’m always surprised by the US gun control debate, because it focuses on “which guns should be legal” instead of “who should be allowed to own guns”. Personally I believe that there’s no need to ban semi-autos or even assault rifles. A gun is a gun. Most gun deaths are from pistols anyway. Instead, you should focus on prohibiting problematic people from owning guns. This is what we do in Europe. AR-15s or similar rifles are legal in many countries, but you need a permit. With the right permit you can even have machine guns and anti-tank rifles in some countries.
Of course I see the problems of following this approach in US:
  • With this approach it’s harder to argue that it doesn’t violate 2A.
  • People will resist any kind of permits or red flag laws. And they will especially oppose registration, but this could be done without registration.
  • People who should not own guns can still acquire or build guns if they are motivated enough.
  • The laws around permits would be in danger of getting politicized, each party trying to disarm the voters of the other party.
But I still think it would achieve better results overall, especially if you simultaneously provided free mental health programs (most gun deaths are suicides), legalized drugs (IIRC most gun homicides are related to organized crime) and stopped advertising terrorism (to tackle the mass shooting problem).
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
I agree, and if you twist the arms of a lot of pro-gun people, they would also agree. The perennial problem however is something that is a problem nigh everywhere: “how much does it cost?” I’m not talking about how much said theoretical regulations would cost, but how much would it cost to the end-user. I bring that up because it’s understandably a massive bugbear with Americans and with pro-gun class reductionists like myself.
For example, if getting semi-autos required a test and a week waiting period, as long as said test didn’t cost anything, a lot of pro-gun people would be fine with that. The more powerful the weapon (full-autos and RPGs) the bigger the test and the longer the waiting period.
Said tests would have to be fair with no BS gotcha questions like I know the Dutch do for guns, and it must be reasonably doable by 15 year olds of any race or gender, and the administrators cannot be the police. Training should also be free, or at the very least affordable to all members of society, not just rich people.
lonewolf
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

U mad?
and stopped advertising terrorism (to tackle the mass shooting problem).
This is probably the biggest one of all. Stop giving these shooters the attention they wanted by talking about it nonstop on every network and website for several weeks.
Meanlucario
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Time to get spooky
@CaptainXtra
Someone trying to make the USA worst than it actually is. I agree with someone who said that we were heading in that direction, but we are still far from Nazi Germany levels of bad.
Background Pony #D717
Maybe it’s just me, or is anyone else concerned about how hard Russia is trying to push into the eastern part of Ukraine?
IWTCIEM

So your solution would be:
mass arrests of everyone who doesn’t give the guns to the state
everyone should give their guns to the government, and strict permits are required (like in Malaysia, where no citizen can simply buy a gun).
Well considering Malaysia has had zero mass shootings since 1985 it’s definitely a step in the right direction. Guns from their very inception were meant to be weapons of military and law enforcement and not commodities any random kooks can get their hands on.
Also, why England and Australia? Why not copy Switzerland or Czechia or Finland? They have access to the same guns there, yet mass shootings are extremely rare.
I would suggest reading the specific laws of those respective countries in further detail. Some regulations there include but are not limited to mandatory licensing and training and prohibition of magazines carrying more than 10 rounds. But the US, being what it is, would claim all of those are Second Amendment infringements.
Background Pony #6B50
@YourPalContrail
Good read, it’s what a lot of people have been saying for years now. Sadly it does require actual explanation which means it can’t simply be fit into a tweet.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide