Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
@Dustcan  
Hundreds of precincts closed. Only one voter allowed in the building at a time. And according to my aunt who lives there and is a poll worker, the state, county, and townships didn’t provide a single mask or rubber glove for the poll workers - they just require that every poll worker sit at least 6 feet from each other.

Even though the paper-based system used to validate that voters are registered requires three registration logs be verified against each other, which is usually done at one table by two or more people.

One voter at a time in the building. Two or three people taking turns at a set of audit logs making sure people are registered.

Think about that.

I live in a tiny township with only a couple hundred voters, and even with 2 machines and 2 paper ballot booths, the line of people waiting to vote usually runs through the building and out into the parking lot, and even with 3 people simultaneously working the logs, it still takes a couple minutes just to get signed in and verified to vote.

Tomorrow is going to be fascinating.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Derpy Whooves

I heard second hand that out of the what, 180 polling places(?) the state was supposed to have there’s only going to be 5. For the whole state. And apparently 500,000 people was the expected to vote. It’s like a Republican wet dream - which makes sense since supposedly it was a Republican majority court that overrode the (Democrat) Governor’s call for a delay.

Oh yeah tomorrow is going to be fascinating for sure.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@Dustcan  
I think those numbers are just from Milwaukee.

Most townships have at least one polling place, if not two. So, there’s a whole lot. But there are hundreds that won’t be open tomorrow because of a lack of volunteers.

And, no way to find out until you go there.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
And, yeah, the main complaint from the GOP was that making it easy for people to vote, like allowing people to vote through the mail or allowing a couple extra weeks for people to do absentee voting would be negate all of their recent legislation.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
Here’s how to find where you vote if you live in Wisconsin

Here’s the Chicago Tribune’s story on the supreme court case

In brief: If you don’t want to vote in person, you can submit an absentee ballot but it will still have to be postmarked tomorrow or you have to submit your absentee ballot in person by 8 PM tomorrow night at a polling place.

But the state hasn’t mailed all of the requested ballots yet. As of Sunday, 12,000 absentee ballots hadn’t been mailed yet.

So, thousands of people don’t even have the ballot they’re supposed to use to vote tomorrow.

Unlike most states that are just doing a presidential preference primary, Wisconsin has 3,831 local offices up for election tomorrow, so this is a fairly significant election. the presidential primary doesn’t even really matter at this point - it’s all about the thousands of local offices and the supreme court.

Ah - here it is. Milwaukee’s typical 180 election sites have been cut to just five. Suburban Waukesha’s 15 locations have been consolidated to one. Green Bay’s 31 polling sites have been reduced to a pair of high school gymnasiums

So, it’s Milwaukee’s numbers that you’ve heard.

The U.S. District Court ruled to leave the election date in place but extended the amount of time voters had to receive and return mail-in absentee ballots by six days until April 13, which would give the state enough time to mail out the ballots and for people to vote and return them.

But the GOP appealed that decision, but the federal court in Chicago refused to hear the case.

So Wisconsin’s GOP lawmakers appealed to the Supreme Court.

Basically, we’re all under a “Safer At Home” order that makes it a crime for anyone to be outside of their house unless they are an essential worker or on an essential errand. But now we’re supposed to gather at a significantly reduced number of polling places, wait in line, thousands at a time, waiting to enter a polling place one voter at a time, to vote, using machines and in rooms where thousands of people have already been that day.

Next time someone tells you Democrats and Republicans are exactly the same, punch them in the dick.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@Derpy Whooves  
Nice.

When I put in my own information (which worked fine last year, or the local polling place’s information, the “Find out where to vote” says I should “Contact the State of Wisconsin Elections Commission”.

And when I go to the township’s page for elections it has some information about the February election, and says; “Election workers are needed”.

So … I guess I’ll go to where I usually vote tomorrow morning to see if there’s a sign that says where I should go instead.

@Dustcan  
Making sure people in Wisconsin don’t vote seems to be something people are super eager to become a part of.

I mean, didn’t the Supreme Court recently say it wasn’t going to hear any more cases this summer?
NeonThriller

Let’s be honest, The main goal of the GOP is to be like Russia and kill democracy.  
Evil and vile, Just like their supporters because they are equally as guilty.
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

[screams in German]
@Typhoon2000  
Okay first off, I don’t appreciate the whole “Let’s blame everyone except us” mentality here. It pushes a you-vs-them idea which in all honesty, is pure and utter shite. It’s this kind of behavior that got everyone in this mess to begin with.

For my own health, I’m just gonna ignore your paranoid “fuck the right I’m scared” posts from now on.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@Scrabbleman

No, we’re going to use them as a springboard for arguing in favour of arming disillusioned leftists with FGC-9s, ARs with drop-in auto-sears, and Glocks with attached auto-sears; all running overpressure armour-piercing ammo, of course.

That way, we really can see in the coming contest for liberty who are rifle-drivers or railroad car-riders.

#Boogaloo2020

Anyhow, if Boris Johnson dies, is it still the chancellor of the exchequer that gets his job? I’m a little fuzzy on British parliamentary succession.
Patachu
Patachu - For Patreon supporters
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Best Art Program Ever - For artists who were courageous enough to draw something for the April Fools day.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag

@Lord Goku  
Yes let’s discuss the debt. Because it’s still what is crippling the world we live in.  
it’s the reason why wages are stagnating versus production, forcing outsourcing and lowering wages via all possible means. immigration and precarity.  
USA:  
full  
full  
Waowse. What a coincidence! Imagine 1 trillion that would go to your healthcare this year, that would be useful, no?

the USA is roughly 300 million, but if we compare to countries which have a lesser population (UK, France are 60 million, According to this data UK and France have more debt per inhabitants. USA have approximatively the same amount of debt as Germany.  
full

@Typhoon2000  
Nothing to worry about. At worse, if really they manage to, just buy Greenland for a few trillions and the amount of US states remains unchanged. Or, give it some times, Mexico or China will attempt to invade the Republic of California being technically defenseless.

i think, however, at this point, America would be divided in a war against China. Half would fight, another half would again, kneel to their overlords.  
full
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@Badheart

You can…but it isn’t exactly debt relief per se, because bombing countries costs lots of money in matériel alone (military Keynesianism is economically the same as digging ditches and filling them in again).
Background Pony #CDD9
@Badheart  
we’d have to bomb ourselves since the majority is domestic… which would give people jobs rebuilding! You’re a genius!
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Patachu

Funny fact! The five countries to which Germany owes the most money 1. Luxembourg (580 billion €), 2. Netherlands (550 billion €), 3. United Kingdom (550 billion €), 4. France (320 billion €), 5. USA (250 billion €). None of these debts arose from reparations claims from the two world wars, but rather from the purchase of government and corporate bonds. Even though the Polish and Greek governments are still claiming reparations, Germany has officially not had any war debts since 1990 in the sense of the Two Plus Four Agreement.

And for four years now, our national debt has been declining. Why do I bring this up? Because I fear that the economic consequences for Germany from the corona virus are not yet foreseeable. I am curious to know whether we will have to take on new debts or whether we will find a pan-European solution à la Von der Leyens’ marschall plan.
Violet Rose in The Rain

Most Americans seem to think that the spectrum doesn’t go beyond “established democrat” versus “established republican”. If those are the two options presented, then those logically define the bounds of politics, right? Well, I’m happy to see at least you, Solidarity64, seem to realise it isn’t that way –
But now, enter Bernie Sanders. Notice I wrote “established democrat”, rather than just “democrat”. It is true, of course, that Sanders runs “as a democrat” – but only because he, too, is trapped in the false dichotomy of “republican vs democrat”. He would undoubtedly create his own party if that meant any chance of winning.
Because let’s now, disregarding that “rascal”, analyse what the parties as a whole stand for on the grand topics of politics and how to govern a country. Both go in for neoliberalism, both for interventionism in foreign conflicts, both are anti-leftism, and so on. They have much more similarities than differences.
And yet – the “lesser of two evils” theory does make sense! Because let’s face it, the very few times that any politician does criticise foreign intervention, or the electoral college, or racism, or homophobia, climate change, it is always the democrats!
But this distracts from the fact that both party are, on a deep, basic level, the same.
“Enlightened Centrism” can actually make sense but only if you fully buy the idea that democrat vs republican is the entire spectrum.
“Lesser of two evils” can actually make sense but only if you fully buy the idea that democrat vs republican is the entire spectrum.
The American public as a whole does not understand there are other options, because the current system does not allow for other options. And the two (lol) current parties are never going to give up this system, and this way of seeing politics by the masses, without a fight. Democrats will, occasionally, mention this stuff, because it nets them votes as “the somewhat more educated party”. They will not ever really do anything about all of it, and they will never relinquish their neoliberal core value – because that one nets them billions by large corporations who don’t like any form of taxation. They need their yachts, yo.
Enter Bernie Sanders, the man who absolutely wouldn’t be a democrat if he had a choice. He’s fucking up the game in just the right way. See the established democratic party struggle to have anyone else elected, anyone who is closer to the established democrat ideal. Enter Joe Biden.
Background Pony #8526
@DarkObsidian  
Other countries in Europe cannot be trusted to handle this on their own. Greece was a mess even without any global economic catastrophe, the French are lazy and just go on strike because due to a lack of coffee and cigs, and Britain is out of the EU. The only solution is for Germany to just take control and lead Europe to a new day, for their own good.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@Background Pony #9251

If that indeed comes to pass, what was the point of the Great War? “We have to fight the Jerries, otherwise they’ll dominate Europe!” Britain should’ve stayed out, told the Belgians (which isn’t a real country) to get fucked, and let Germany steamroll France. Niall Ferguson would be proud.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Background Pony #9251

@Ebalosus

[A little laughing inside] Yeah, I guess you could say that. I’ll go and dust off my grandfather’s old flags & uniform and polish my army boots. It’s been so long since we’ve all been goose-stepping here. (sarcasm, sorry)

No, but seriously. I don’t want to talk about the economic conditions in my neighbouring countries now, but I myself still have a deep respect for them and especially for the French. Germany cannot master this crisis without its closest partner in the EU. And I do not condemn the southern countries either. I simply condemn their previous refusal to make profound economic changes and instead stick to their system of nepotism. But both countries are also deeply divided internally and therefore both the Spanish and Italian people have my sympathy. I also deplore the Hungarian or Polish people, who secretly reject their own governments but are powerless to build a reasonable opposition. And so on. Of course, not everything is going well in Germany, you can clearly see that in the growing everyday racism, which is slowly but surely becoming socially acceptable again. And this not only with “white” Germans, but just as much with the descendants of immigrants, who were here already in the 3rd or 4th generation. Although all of this worries me, I strongly believe in the pan-European ideal and strictly reject any form of going it alone and individual solutions. If it were up to me, we would all be living in the United States of Europe by now, but I don’t think I’ll be around to see that ever happen. ;-)

Edit: Besides, we Germans are even worse prepared for war today than we were in 1939. Oh, I’m sorry. Since 2001 it’s called: peacekeeping. (cough)
Background Pony #DEDE
Scientists should be paid as much, if not more, than pro athletes. Scientists actually improve the world, unlike athletes, who get paid to throw a ball around.

“But not everyone can do what pro athletes can do”. Not many people can do what scientists do either.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide