Video Game General 2: Definitive/Remastered Edition

QuasarNova
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Thread Starter - Equestria Girls RPG
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@QuasarNova
Which is?

Okay sorry it took long just needed to do some research and ny that I mean I didn’t found much so this is what I got

First case: AlphaDream went out of business recently, but sense the “Mario & Luigi” games are partly made by Nintendo, and features their characters, Nintendo owns the M&L series, and do with ‘em however they want.

This is exactly as it is

Second case:Though, they need Square/Enix’s permission for the Geno cameo, which is why it was removed from the 3DS remake sadly.

This is a lot murkier because there’s really nothing stopping Nintendo to just ask permission and use the character so something else must’ve happened in regards to it’s use

Now finally: The case is different with games like Nintendo’s old Popeye arcade/NES game, which is apparently mostly owned by King Features Syndicate, (owners of Popeye) but I hear oddly in some countries Bandai/Namco has license over it.

This is where the whole debacle of what belongs to whom begins:

For starters, the source code of what will become the videogame belongs to Nintendo, to make it more specific, we’re talking about the likes of raw models and many other assets that will be used as foundation.

But you can’t sell a videogame with just 3D unpolished looking mannequins unless your name is Super Hot, so the models are then turned into Popeye and Brutus. Now funny thing, the character of Popeye himself is free from copyright since his original creator Elzie Segar, died at 43 in 1938 and EU law protects the rights of authors for 70 years after their death which ended in 2009 if my math is right, which more than likely isn’t. Meaning that anyone can print and sell Popeye posters, T-shirts and even create new comic strips, without the need for authorisation or to make royalty payments.

However, while the copyright indeed ended inside the EU, the character is protected in the US until 2024. US law protects a work for 95 years after its initial copyright. So, the Popeye trademark, a separate entity to Segar’s authorial copyright, is owned by King Features, a subsidiary of the Hearst Corporation.

And finally the reason Namco/Bandai hold some legal action for those games is because of what I mentioned; back when games weren’t widely distributed on sites like steam you needed someone to help you reproduce the cartridge and sell it, hence the need of distribution rights, meaning that on paper only Namco is legally allowed to sell copies of those games on the geographic areas they’re contractually allowed to operate within.

Short version, a videogame of Popeye in the EU is free real estate. The game that was made back in the 80’s is not because the source code belongs to Nintendo and, depending on the region you should only be able to acquire a copy via Namco Bandai provided they still hold the rights and if it’s on the US, you also infringe copyright due to the copyright active until 2024.

There’s also the whole trademark issue but that’s another topic
Silent_Witness
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Chippin’ In
I get the feeling that maybe I should’ve just started a new file in Astral Chain. Because I remember precisely fuck all about how to play this game.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Jarkes  
I’d complain about Mario having 10, or how most Pokemon are gen 1, but I don’t even play SSB anymore so it means little to me. Still, I like FE, so people should really just shut up and let people enjoy things.
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
More FE? Sure, why not, we’ve had plenty of characters from other series. Just so long as this one isn’t a clone of one we already have, like most of the FE fighters are.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Jarkes  
@GenericArchangel  
Same could be said for the Zelda characters, considering we have 3 Links, and Ganon is still basically a bigger Captain Falcon.

In fact, ironically, in regards to the “SSB has too many sword characters” complaints, Ganon now has a sword, because people complained he didn’t have one.
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
@Beau Skunky  
True.

But SSB also has too many sword characters.

Personally, I’d love a character like Doomguy/Doom Slayer because we need more interesting ranged types. Or Rayman. Because Rayman.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide