MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@Algebroot Neogears
I have a couple of theories about Pipp.
Oftentimes, the creative process involved discovering things about your own characters and setting. Elsa was originally supposed to be the villain of Frozen, but Let It Go made her way too sympathetic, so they did some rewrites. There’s a really impressive fight scene from Titanic that was cut because the stakes pale in comparison to just getting off the sinking ship.
Glowin’ Up is a song that’s “near and dear to [Pipp’s] heart”, and the lyrics describe Zipp more than they describe Pipp. I feel like there was a scene where Pipp runs off, and Zipp goes looking for her. Turns out Pipp is doubly-hurt, because not only did she write the song for Zipp, but Zipp just left her hanging. Maybe Sunny and Pipp bond over the idea of doing something to honour someone they care about.
Pipp is a princess and a pop star. She’s basically unaffected by pegasi not being able to fly, and could be a star regardless. She directly benefits from the deception. Where Queen Haven at least has an understandable motivation, Pipp doesn’t seem to grasp the bigger picture. So they must have realized that next to Zipp and Queen Haven, Pipp was really not sympathetic at all. Especially after the station scene. I think they figured that a bland character was better than an actively unsympathetic character, and did some damage control.
Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
Pipp seems to me to have been added at the 72%-complete writing stage because Izzy was the only girly character; Sunny is neutral, Zipp is a tomboy, and Hitch is male.
EquusStorm
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
Artist -

Flop it to the princess
Gen4 was a total reboot so anything before that is nonexistent in this universe with a slate wiped clean. The early-gen show playing on the TVs during Sprout’s song suggests it’s a fictional TV show at best.
kleptomage
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

I watched the movie with no expectations or prior knowledge of the plot. It’s mediocre. The songs range from bad to forgettable. The animation is nice but it’s just regular 3D animation like seemingly everything these days. The story is… serviceable. The characters I don’t think got enough time to establish themselves.
Do you remember the feeling when you first started watching G4 and became engrossed in the show and fandom? That feeling of wonder and curiosity? That feeling may only come once in a lifetime. G5 is not the spark to rekindle that flame. It lacks a certain je ne sais quoi that made G4 special. Perhaps it’s unfair for me to judge the new generation by the old, but the continuity between the two invites comparison.
It’s not a bad movie, just underwhelming and uninspired. I’ll watch the series when it comes out to see if it gets better.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music/Charts Enthusiast
@kleptomage
I think that right there was the problem, expecting it to be just like G4. It’s very evident that it wasn’t trying to be like FIM even with the continuity references and more it wanted to wipe the slate clean, just like how G4 did with G3. Of course comparing it to G4 would be a let down, FIM was a game changer and something that will likely never be repeated so it’s better than to write a different story to keep the franchise itself going.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music/Charts Enthusiast
Also in regards to the previous page’s discussion, I don’t see why caring about the writers matter since any writer can make slip ups with their work. Better to judge the product itself rather than the person behind it IMO.
Wiimeiser
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
@Myoozik
Everything I do is a slip up. For example, fuck that UFO near the cathedral, it can keep its moon.
@kleptomage
Yeah, “How are we gonna live up to that…?”, though honestly, G4 got as big as it did because people thought Lauren Faust had sold out
kleptomage
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

@Wiimeiser
As I recall, some hack wrote an article calling FiM the “death of western animation” or some rubbish like that. Then /co/ found the article, checked out the show themselves, and the rest is history.
Pinto Bean
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

refried sans lard
Restarting a franchise shortly after a generation with nine seasons, two spin-off shows, and a movie is not an enviable place to be creatively.
I think that right there was the problem, expecting it to be just like G4. It’s very evident that it wasn’t trying to be like FIM even with the continuity references and more it wanted to wipe the slate clean, just like how G4 did with G3. Of course comparing it to G4 would be a let down, FIM was a game changer and something that will likely never be repeated so it’s better than to write a different story to keep the franchise itself going.
Right. Hard to top that kind of success. The question remains as to whether NewGen will just be G4 2.0 or its own thing. I can’t really imagine anybody here wanting the former, fan or not. Those that want more G4 will simply continue to immerse themselves in that world rather than even bother with G5.
Creativity is the key to the success of NewGen, and that may just have to come at the expense of continuity, which is not necessarily a bad thing when you take into consideration that all past MLP Gens are vastly different from each other (although it appears that it is, for better or worse, a nod to its predecessor.)
I remain optimistic. One big difference seems to be in style. G4 was very slapsticky; a throwback during a time when 3D was already completely dominant. NewGen has decided to embrace 3D, and while I do lament that just about all animation these days is 3D, there are some advantages to the medium, so we could see some things in the new series that weren’t visually possible with 2D.
And it already has established that it’s going to be a more mature, less toony approach to MLP, with designs that seem to put more emphasis on anatomy and realism. Also given the subject matter, which appears to be a reflection on our modern day, it has the potential for a level of drama that we have not seen in previous Gens.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
@Phoenixflambe
Yes please. Sometimes I feel wish some G4 episodes took themselves more seriously.
I honestly feel like to me, what like in MLP is actually not as much the comedy as it is the drama.
I would also love to see better character interactions and show how one friend improves another.
Not just one pony solve problem herself without any help from another friend or have all the ponies turn into a collective apologizing without any unique interaction.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide