MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
I guess the new episode disproved my headcanon I had two years ago. Where Sunnys mom deserting Argyle because of his ideals. And having to return to redeem herself to her daughter.
I must admit I actually thought theyd never adress her mother. Just like with Ashs dad or Belles mom, probably for the sake of making it easier to write.
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
@Dustcan
Honestly at this point I don’t know ifits just the animators being cheap reusing the baby sunny model from the age regression episode, or if they legit forgot that Sunny always had purple hair and only got the rainbow stripe at the end if the movie
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
I didn’t like her mom having a streak either.
It looks nice, but now it feels like Sunny’s streak is less something that happened because she’s been touched by magic and more something she was always meant to have.
Background Pony #DE76
@Background Pony #7D1B
It’s not really out of the ordinary, the Brighthouse has been helping them with several things recently. Off the top of my head Izzy thanks it for providing her scuba gear in The Blockywockys. I’m guessing they’re going with the idea that the Brighouse has a will like the Tree of Harmony.
We know the Unity Crystals had an intelligent will already in the movie, when they reacted to Sunny’s actions in the meeting with the three leaders of the pony tribes, and this has been transferred to the Brighthouse which can be considered part of the Unity Crystals as these created the building for the Mane 5 back then. We just don’t know what kind of will it is, but it seemed to be manipulative with a plan in mind, to help the New Mane 6. This is more active than the Harmony Tree has ever been in G4. Brighthouse has a number of secrets that are directly related to the Unity Crystals, and we know that when Opaline tried to spy on Sunny, her magic and magical items were inactive in the building. Even after Opaline destroyed the protective shield around Brighthouse, the magic has not been changed.
It suggested that Sunny may have been subjected to memory manipulation spells that could have bleached her hair - which only got the streaks back after the magic returned. Because she could not remember her mother, her memory book was hidden away, and her father was not willing to keep the memory of her mother alive. It is possible that Sunny’s mother had secrets that even Argyll was not aware of, for she cannot have failed to be aware of her daughter’s destiny as an alicorn-to-be. She believed it was her and her daughter’s destiny to bring back the magic. Why had Argyll hidden away all memories of his wife whom he clearly loved?
And why didn’t Argyll do anything when his wife chose to embark on a dangerous journey that might have led to her death? It’s as if he had strong confidence in her survivability. It is also possible that Argyll went out looking for her because he had seen the map where she went, only to return. What had happened? He was silent about this.
The map is roughly dimensional; but there are snow-capped mountain peaks, a lake and a forest. And we see a six-pointed star with underlying star rays - very similar to Twilight Sparkle’s cutie mark, which we know is a symbol of magic. But we have also learned that it could mean more - “Alicorn mark” or “Starscourt crest”. On the map there are two roads, and possibly two “borders”. The landscape can be in the middle of Equestria or far away from the nearest ocean.
Perhaps Sunny’s mother may have found a clue that could possibly lead to the home of the alicorns, Skyros which is probably a floating island up in the sky.
By the way, we didn’t see her cutie mark, although it is possibly a five-pointed star with wings.
Background Pony #DE76
This photograph was of an older Sunny when she was still a filly, all showings of the young Sunny with the steak in her hair were from after her birth until her mother’s disappearance. It’s possible that Sunny lost her steak when she couldn’t remember her mother, which the others in Maretime Bay probably didn’t either. Argyll had for some reason neglected to take care of mementos of his wife such as photographs and other things, and had taken Sunny’s memory book from his daughter. Zipp will note that it is an enigma in itself.
Dragonpone
Unamused - Derpi Supporter
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Elements of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab

Badge Dragon
The mane streak in the Mom doesn’t really bother me, you could easily rationalize it as the relatively common mane color variance that is hardly unique to Sunny. (The Mom’s mane would look rather plain without it)
Though I certainly hope they aren’t trying to lean more into the “destined hero Sunny” thing. I was hoping they’d forgotten about that.
Background Pony #DE76
Thanks, that’s interesting. A four-pointed star with underlying points - which suggests that her talent is linked to astronomy and the study of stars. She can be a “Starscout” like her daughter, who has a five-pointed star with a comet tail as her cutie mark. The stargazer that Sunny had (and likely recreated by Brighthouse, as it may have been destroyed in the movie) was her mother’s, as we saw it much earlier in G5. Now she’s got it back, and it’s possible that her mother’s message on it was camouflaged with magic.
It is very interesting; it means that there was something very special about Sunny and her mother that might involve the alicorns, and it is possible that star studies were important to find Skyros or secrets the alicorns left behind. The cutie mark maybe also revealed her afterlife because we saw her head manifest in the starry sky, we first saw three four-pointed stars. This is similar to Sunny’s cutie mark, maybe the two smaller stars were after her father and mother. Argyle’s cutie mark also involves a star.
Because the magic that made Sunny’s mother appear in the sky came from Sunny herself rather than the Brighthouse and others. It is reminiscent of the alicorn magic known from G4. A hallmark of alicorn magic is their ability to manipulate celestial bodies such as the sun, moon, stars.
CloudMistDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Misty Shadow
…Did I just watch the best episode of TYT? That’s what it feels like…
Episodes Since Comet’s Last Appearance: 12
For once, writing this feels somewhat disrespectful since this episode was just that good. Like The Perfect Pear in TYT form. There wasn’t a single moment I disliked, every part from start to finish was wholesome, I am TRULY, honestly impressed. :D
Background Pony #DE76
@Background Pony #DE76
We see a baby photo of sunny in the movie and no streaks
And we didn’t see the cutie mark on Sunny when she was still a filly in the movie. TYT should have refrained from giving the too young filly the cutie mark, which came later, usually from the foals being eight years and older. This was unnecessary. The mane steak could have passed the movie/MYM because the time factor, but in TYT the steak isn’t the problem, it’s her cutie mark.
One last question remains; how did Sunny manage to get this far up the branch of the tree when the older Sunny “awakened” to her memories in the book? Her parents were strangely unconcerned that she had climbed so high up the tree - as if she could fly.
CloudMistDragon
Artist -

Misty Shadow
Does anyone else find it funny how last episode was called, “Buried in a Good Book”, and this episode was about Sunny getting sucked into a book? :P I also like how one photo shows Sunny with apples in this same episode where Sunny is revealed to have lost both her parents just like Applejack. So she’s a mix of Twilight and Applejack. I guess that’s why she and Hitch get along so well, since Hitch also has Applejack in him. A bit of Twilight too, but I believe he’s best described as a mix of Applejack and Fluttershy.
TheQuietMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

House of the Arcana
@Cosmas-the-Explorer
They did it quite early too.
@northern haste
Upon closer look, that’s her filly self, not her baby self. But still, sure, Sunny’s mom had the streaks but that’s like the general appearance than because of magic. And only two colours too.
@Icicle Niceicle 1517
Another star, descendant of Twilight? I guess Luster Dawn died single.
@Background Pony #DE76
You believe in the theory that I was about to comment in that she always had the streaks but simply lost them?
@Dragonpone
You would prefer Misty being the actual chosen one because she’s been doing the legwork yes?
@northern haste
That’s well, the movie and by extension the precursor to MYM.
@GoodVibesGorgeous
Would be the first ever retcon in the show trying to disprove itself.
@CloudMistDragon
Full circle.
Dragonpone
Unamused - Derpi Supporter
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab

Badge Dragon
@Dragonpone
You would prefer Misty being the actual chosen one because she’s been doing the legwork yes?
Well, I’d really prefer no one being the chosen one since that’s never been a trope I’ve been fond of.
Sunny went on that adventure and helped return magic and reunify the races because her parents passed on the knowledge and values they did, but it really could’ve been anyone. Just like the other Top 3 episode with “Starscout” in the title, I’d rather they leave any kind of fate or destiny out of it.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music/Charts Enthusiast
Wait, Sunny had that memory scrapbook in her house all this time in an easily reachable shelf but was surprised to see it again? How often does she check her shelves to clean it then? Also, her mom is taking her sweet ass time to get the milk
Episode was great, we finally know who Sunny’s mom is and we find out what happened to her. Personally would’ve preferred if a reveal like this was done in MYM but TYT works as well.
DerpyFast
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@CloudMistDragon
I should make an infographic breaking down all the different character influences.
Misty Brightdawn has got some Coco Pommel in her; they’re both precious cinnamon rolls who complete jobs for an abusive superior that they end up leaving.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide