Unpopular opinion time

ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Pomegranates :P
full  
What many people don’t get is that farms are crazy expensive to run, especially in the 1st world. The resources, the property, and the upkeep. Rarity only runs a small cottage scale boutique, it doesn’t take her that much resources to run a clothing store, she caters to wealthier costumers who would pay big for her designs, her gem finding spell makes it even easier for her to make a source of income.
gasmaskangel
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -
Since the Beginning  -

The whole discussion of Big Mac just makes me wonder more about our little fandom’s obsession with background ponies and side characters. They aren’t the main characters. They have little, if any, characterization and yet people get absolutely livid over them.

I don’t know of any other fandom that does this (possibly Star Wars, but I’ve already pissed off enough people with my heretical beliefs about Boba Fett so I won’t get into that,) and I genuinely don’t know what to make of it but the phenomenon fascinates me. I don’t get it because having a constant stream of named characters to develop and keep track of annoys me, and I’m glad the background pony love seems pretty much the domain of the fandom where I can ignore the stuff that doesn’t interest me.

In Big Mac’s case I wonder how much of the outrage is because some people want a developed male character to latch onto other than Spike, who I genuinely and deeply find awful. Personally, I don’t think the show needs such a character. At all.

I will now await my being burned as a heretic.
Grieffon
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Bronze Bit -
Artist -
Happy Derpy! -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Grieffon> it does kinda dry out a bit with fast strokes

h
@Itsthinking  
Wait, doesn’t it have everything people liked? Twilight getting downplayed, a good Spike focus, and Flutterhulk (at least more casual fans would appreciate it, not so much on dp).

@gasmaskangel  
They aren’t the main characters. They have little, if any, characterization and yet people get absolutely livid over them.
Personally, I don’t think the show needs such a character. At all.

This. Now we can be burned together.
Itsthinking
Princess Ember - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
@PonyPon  
That’s why a lot of people said they disliked her. Honestly, the real antagonist of that episode was members of the audience who actually think Spike is as useless as he thought he was and yes, those people do exist. They’re also the same kind of people to say that the episode was bad.
Bolan
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@gasmaskangel

And now I feel like a misogynist!

We’re not talking about a male character joining the mane cast and stealing the spotlight and suddenly getting all the best lines here. That happens all the time with new villains that come out of nowhere. We’re talking about characters that are already there from the start. For me it’s about community and continuity. Getting the main characters to mingle with the common folk is something I always liked to see because it gave the setting depth and showed a potential for different dynamics-more variety of interaction. I now see that something like that is way too much for a 22-minute show to deal with.

Is there time for another lower deck episode?
gasmaskangel
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -
Since the Beginning  -

@Bolan  
I wouldn’t call it misogyny, if only because that word gets slung around so lightly these days that it is virtually meaningless. There is nothing wrong with wanting a character who you can identify with.

Hell, I’d love to see more cynical bisexual libertarian atheist characters. I just know its not gonna happen, so I can either cope with it or hate pretty much every piece of media I come across for not including my specific set of differences.
Itsthinking
Diamond -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
@gasmaskangel  
How about…you identify with a character that shares more than just your physical traits? There’s certain character traits I can relate to regardless of gender/age/species, they don’t have to be exactly like me.

To be honest, I think the biggest problem with fiction is people wanting protagonists to fit into their very specific niche and not realizing that fiction is meant for a wide audience. So they either make a self-insert (ugh) or are going to leave some people that can’t look beyond physical appearance behind.
Grieffon
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Bronze Bit -
Artist -
Happy Derpy! -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Grieffon> it does kinda dry out a bit with fast strokes

h
Unpopular opinion: I think Big Mac is just a glorified background pony that people take too seriously, and contribute little to none to the show.
gasmaskangel
Artist -
Since the Beginning  -

@Itsthinking  
That’s more or less my point, just worded better because my brain does not work properly.

Tokenism is crap, it hamstrings writing and feels insulting to those you are supposedly trying to include, as I can say from experience every time I see something with a token gblt character.

@Grieffon  
Agreed.
Bolan

@gasmaskangel

Yeah, I don’t want the male characters to form a coup and take over, I just want them to get a little respect every now and then. A little respect.

As for Big Mac, sure I have a little in common with him, like I don’t talk much but that’s about it. I rooted for him because he felt like a normal everyman in this world of crazy magic insanity. He seemed like a wise and steadfast guy who could act like a foil to Applejack and maybe a friend to others. In the beginning he had this kind of power but with each successive appearance, that power has diminished to the point where he’s just there for the lulz. I know it’s been like that forever but still, it’d be nice to hear him actually have an opinion or spout something witty once in a while.

Besides Cheerilee he doesn’t even have any canon friends. It’s sad.
Bolan

@Grieffon

You don’t seem to get it. We know he’s nothing but a glorified background pony. That is the problem. He could be more than that if they tried, but he’s not going to be.

It’s okay to wish for things.
Itsthinking
Diamond -
Silver Supporter -
Happy Derpy! -

🅱
@Bolan  
Can’t even say anything about gender without fear of ad hominem attacks. Some people would say “so many other shows have the female characters in his sort of role, why can’t it be the opposite for once?”
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide