Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
I wonder what would happen if people paid attention to, or talked about, the problem that was being called out, instead of being offended by how people are calling it out?

You know, like actually being offended by the racial inequality and police brutality, instead of being offended that players are not standing during the anthem before a football game.

A tradition which, by the way, did not exist before 2009, because before then they just stayed in the locker room so they could make the big entrance once the anthem was finished.

But, no, let’s pretend this is some ancient tradition that’s being subverted. Because 2009 is so long ago.

Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

[screams in German]
@Mikey  
There’s always worse things. People dying in the Middle East? There’s something worse than that too.

The reactions are petty, the whole debacle is stupid and in all honesty, I don’t see the point of all of this going on.

I was slightly annoyed by it but it didn’t annoy me enough that I got mad. I actually forgot about the whole kneeling thing until people brought it up.
Violet Rose in The Rain
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

@TheMagpulPone
It’s not disrespectful because people have the freedom America gave them to pose how they want for the flag. You don’t get to decide what’s disrespectful. Burning a flag is disrespectful to it, kneeling instead of standing is not. If you’re going to preach freedom of speech, it goes both ways.

Isn’t burning the flag a way of disposal?
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@Violet Rose in The Rain  
Yes.

I mean, to be fair, I’m one of those people who spent enough time on bases that I will literally drive up someone’s driveway and knock on their door and ask them to please take their flag in out of the rain, and will help them if they want a hand.

But if they don’t, that’s their karma. I get in the truck and leave.

But when the township’s flag over the ball park is out in a storm at 2 am and isn’t even lit? That shit does not go over well at the next town meeting.

Civilians kneeling during the anthem because they want to draw attention to the racial inequality and police brutality in our country? I’m all for that.

Presidents stirring up national drama about what civilians do or don’t do during the anthem? That’s fucking bullshit.

Again, just my 2 cents. Not speaking for the site, which I’m sure doesn’t give a shit what Americans are getting up to with their “Foots Balls” ands zee bombs reds glares.
Kazapsky
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Five scoops of ice cream
@Derpy Whooves

Okay, where the fuck is the logic in taking a flag down for a little rain when your anthem brags about said flag’s ability to survive hours of artillery fire? America is the only country I’ve ever heard of that sends people out in the rain because it apparently makes its flags out of tissue paper.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@Kazapsky  
If you’ve spent enough time on military bases, you pick up a lot of respect for 4 U.S. Code Section 6.

Not saying you have to have any respect for it, or can’t fly an all weather flag all day, but when you’ve got people screaming about the flag not being respected by football players, but leave it out in the rain all night without being lit, then it’s a “What the fuck?” situation.

Anyway, read back a bit - we had someone in here quoting the Title 4 of the US code, and from some of the claims they were making it wasn’t clear that they’d even read what it says about civilians.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Less than 2 weeks since the El Paso/Dayton shooting Trump’s subsequent claims for background check reform he backtracked this Sunday by saying there won’t be anything done.

It’s not surprising but still disappointing.
TheMagpulPone
Artist -

Dynamic Pie
@Mikey  
And all I’m saying is 53% of Americans have no interest in the issues the NFL players are trying to bring attention to when they’re doing it at the expense of our flag and anthem. People don’t receive the message when all they’re seeing is disrespect. You can still stand and bring attention to a cause without pissing off half of America. Which kinda defeats the purpose of the protest anyway.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@TheMagpulPone  
You know what is going on, what these protests are about, and why the players are choosing that specific way to protest. And you are choosing to make this about how offensive it is to “some other people” that they aren’t standing during the National Anthem.

Even though the only reason the players are out there on display like this is because in 2009 the US military gave the team owners a bunch of cash to make the players go stand on the field during the anthem, instead of coming to the field after it was over, and now Trump and Pence have decided that it will play to their demographic if they screech about how outrageous it is.

You’ve chosen a side. That’s fine.

But please don’t pretend you are speaking for some voiceless majority, or are sharing some vast wisdom with the players.

at the expense of our flag and anthem

^ This right here? This doesn’t hold water. If you were just talking about the anthem, you’d have some basis in fact. But there is no requirement for any civilian to stand when just because there’s a flag nearby.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
Our founding fathers would just sigh in utter disbelief about the sheer amount of reverence and devotion we show to the state and its symbols.

The people who threw off the yoke of royal worship would not want you to swear your undying and unquestioning fealty to the state.

They would demand of us constant scrutiny of the state, individual determination, and a rejection of blind devotion.
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ayriana
@Zincy  
Funny how many so called constitutionalists claim others don’t love the flag and country enough when the founding fathers were heavily anti-government and wanted a system where the government had little power. I’m pretty sure they’d laugh at people who get offended by those who refuse to stand for the anthem or flag etc
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide