MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Lord WyrmSpawN
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Lingering Wyvern
This is probably a non-starter, but if the ability to fly was lost very long ago, pegasi wings would probably degrade into uselessness.
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@WyrmSpawN  
It might not have been long enough ago to make any difference there, if the unicorns remember that they’re supposed to have magic and Sunny’s dad knows that the pony tribes used to have healthy relations.

Though either way, if the pegasi managed to develop smartphones, you’d think they’d also have developed technology to properly compensate for the loss of flight magic (such as jetpacks).

@Background Pony #CB27  
Tell that to the pegasi who got drained by Tirek.
SparkleDash

Professional Shipper
@DoctorWTF  
But when magic disappeared in School Raze, Pegasi could still fly, proving that Tirek taking away Pegasi flight is something he can do with magic, but it doesn’t mean that flying itself is magic. Only walking on clouds is.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
This is probably a non-starter, but if the ability to fly was lost very long ago, pegasi wings would probably degrade into uselessness.

Probably not. We see the pegasi use them pretty regularly in spite of not flying. So if nothing else then they won’t atrophy from lack of use.
SparkleDash

Professional Shipper
Since people want me to stop hating G5, I will say one positive thing. Zipp does have a good color scheme. Reminds me of candy. I feel she’s the only one, but still, it is good.
Background Pony #121A
@WyrmSpawN
It might not have been long enough ago to make any difference there, if the unicorns remember that they’re supposed to have magic and Sunny’s dad knows that the pony tribes used to have healthy relations.
Though either way, if the pegasi managed to develop smartphones, you’d think they’d also have developed technology to properly compensate for the loss of flight magic (such as jetpacks).
@Background Pony #CB27
Tell that to the pegasi who got drained by Tirek.

It is possible that the earth ponies and unicorns also had the same technology as the pegasi, Izzy knew what a smartphone was and the remote control technology that Phyllis has in her Canterlogic is at the 2021 level; only communication technology is absent. While the pegasi continue to have smartphones, TVs and possibly PCs because they may have a large empire, it is possible that the fear caused the earth ponies to discard this technology while the unicorns may have two serious problems. First, magic and electronics do not go well together. Secondly, there were not many unicorns in the G4 who wanted “down-to-earth” work and expertise on how to take care of their technology.

The gap between Zephyr Heights, Maretime Bay and Bridlewood may indicate a time gap of at least thirty years from a human perspective of how long the technological decline had taken place. It can be very interesting to see how the technology can be in the other nine states, especially those on the east coast north of Maretime Bay / Horseshore Bay. The unicorns have been hit hard because they did not possess the skills needed, especially if Bridlewood may have been a resort for aristocratic unicorns from Canterlot who may have been evacuated when the magic disappeared.

I think Argyle found out rather than knowing it, he had left riddles because the lighthouse is more than what Sunny anticipated, and that he had secrets that his daughter was not aware of. The ponies had not forgotten that they could fly - could use magic, while the earth ponies seem to have forgotten their strength and ability to manipulate soil and plants. The latter may be the result of modern technology. This means that the ponies were exposed to memory erasure spells which means that only their instinctive memories were intact.

50-80 years minimum. Maybe less. 200 years at most. Things age just as fast on Equus as in our world when magic spells are not used. Zephyr Heights had not changed much, while the lighthouse in Maretime Bay had not been given a residential house - which appeared to have been built by Argyle before Sunny was born.

The movie has left a lot of questions, but one thing is clear; it was a hostile attack that ribbed the ponies for their magic, and it had happened “recently”. The ponies had not attacked each other. They had not lost their magic just because they had lost friendship with each other. This means that Twilight and her friends have not failed, their legacy was sabotaged and almost wiped out by a mysterious enemy.

Remember what happened when the memory stone was used in the EQG to isolate and force away the Sunset by creating animosity and hostility through manipulating the memories of people. That may be what happened to Equestria; but such a spell … the power behind it must be astronomical, almost at the alicorn level or higher.
Holofan4life
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

I II II L
The pony universe in this movie are like Gabi from Attack on Titan. They’ve spent their entire life being taught that certain types of ponies are the enemy that they refuse to believe otherwise. They’ve essentially been brainwashed.
Pinto Bean
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

refried sans lard
Hey all. Some thoughts on the NewGen movie…

1. Probably in the minority here, but I already miss the 2D animation that was a key feature of MLP for decades. Small bummer for me that Hasbro finally decided to hop on the bandwagon. That said, there is a lot to love about the new movie…

2. Sunny & Izzy were both instantly and irresistibly lovable characters. The story of how they met and became friends was pure gold.

3. Heartbreaking to be introduced to such a wonderful pony as Argyle only to learn a short time later that he had passed away. It made me think of my dad and how much I miss him.

4. Giggled some when I saw the computers with the big buttons but face-palmed when the pegasus ponies busted out the smart phones. :-p

5. Pipp & Zipp are still sort of a mystery to me. I feel like the movie didn’t do enough to explain what motivates these characters, though I’m sure that will become more clear later down the road.

6. All in all, it was quite an enjoyable movie with lots of emotional highs and lows. 4/5 stars. Looking forward to what’s next for this new batch of ponies.
Holofan4life
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

I II II L
I think the only major criticism I have with the film is that there’s a conflict, but they don’t go in full detail why that conflict exists. We know there’s hostility between the ponies, but we don’t know how the hostility came to be.
Holofan4life
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

I II II L
I thought the movie overall was pretty good. It was a quick breeze to get through, and the characters were a lot of fun. Plus, the animation was so gorgeous.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide