Unpopular opinion time

CronoM

@Latecomer
Doesn’t make their post any less valid though, if a bit extreme
Actually, it does. There’s not much wisdom to be found in a comment with so very little self awareness.
It almost completely disregards the existence of bad writing, wasted potential, poor character inconsistencies, etc.
The so called whiny complaints masked as criticism far FAR more than not is really just a bunch of inexperienced people finding words that sound intelligent
While there will always be some mindless people, there is absolutely no credence to this notion that most of the complaints have no merit. This isn’t news and politics where there is media bias to twist people into different directions…
….Its a television show where the audience can judge it as is.
If there are an absolutely enormous amount of complaints about the writing, then that says more about the writers then the audience. FACTS.
is really just a bunch of inexperienced people finding words that sound intelligent and like they fit (plot holes, regression, Mary Sue, etc) and tossing them our to make their complaints sound valid.
This sort of sentence seems to suggest that the original person who made this comment thought MLP:FiM was almost completely immune to actual plot holes, actual character regression, and characters that fit some obvious definitions of the Mary Sue archetype.
That is simply not true no matter how many ways you look at it. And MLP:FiM was hardly a perfect show. It had an enormous amount of good elements, but many were wasted or underutilized.
Look at MLP:FiM from a different angle.
For example:
Consider the concept of “The Hero’s Journey”, and how it reflects the main protagonist, Twilight Sparkle, at the start of S4. While big events happen, nothing actually effects the end of her journey in any way. She is made a princess, and quite obviously established to replace Celestia. Does the regular conflicts, doubts and self reflections in A Hero’s Journey happen as Twilight is sped towards the end of Season 9? Nope. Twilight never has a real argument with Celestia, nor does she ever have a serious discussion about her original desires before she was made a princess. The show considers such things ‘not important’.
At the end of the day its just a bunch of people whining because a character they like or didn’t like isn’t being portrayed in the way they like so they throw a bitch fit about it even when episodes are fine.
when episodes are fine
Who decides which episodes are fine?
Obviously in the mind of the original person who posted it, they decide.
And at the end of the day, there will be many people who hate warranted criticism, and umbrella any people who criticize as simply “people whining because a character they like or didn’t like isn’t being portrayed in the way they like”, again, to try to pretend plot holes, actual character regression, and Mary Sue characters cannot exist in MLP:FiM.
Some criticism will be juvenile, but many of the complaints have a large foundation of truth. Its healthy to simply accept this.
Some issues with the show were short lived, some issues with the show lasted MANY seasons. Because of that, on a website that discusses fanart and the show itself, it would be hard not for those topics not to be come up again and again. Its simple common sense and cause and effect, even if complaints against the show frustrate you.
CronoM

@Megalobronia
When we’ve all gotten tired of the same old contentious topics being brought up again and again
If the show had some consistent bad issues, then the bad issues will be brought up just as much as the good issues. Because that was what MLP:FiM simply was…a show. A collection of good, down the middle, and bad writing. And bad ideas tended to have very permanent effects, like the entire species alteration, where colored changelings going from sadistic drones to pony-like basically overnight.
Also, if you want another reason why there might be a surge of complaints of G4’s overall plot, consider that it may have been revealed that Equestria might have fell apart shortly after the underqualified princess/godqueen Twilight Sparkle became the leader. So, that’s a lot to take in.
Sparx
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

#115 Wassup Voltage!
If there are an absolutely enormous amount of complaints about the writing, then that says more about the writers then the audience. FACTS.
Err…that also says a lot about the audience since not all complaints are valid.It’s not as cut and dry as you think.
Some criticism will be juvenile, but many of the complaints have a large foundation of truth. Its healthy to simply accept this.
I disagree, many of the complaints were a load of nitpicky BS.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Sparx
There was both many fair criticisms and many baseless complaints, there was a lot of G4 to judge and a lot of fans to boot after all. I’m not sure there’s a point in determining the exact ratio of signal to noise there, other than ‘lots of both.’
That said, the comment that spawned this discussion painted the whole fandom with the same brush and pretended that basically none of them had any point when they criticized something. That’s… simply not true, and pretty close to “no one is allowed to dislike anything they/we do,” which isn’t a good mindset for a fan or creator to have. To be polite.
(“No one is allowed to like anything in this show” isn’t better, before someone asks.)
@CronoM
I’d have liked more attention given to Rainbow, yeah. Or even just… some premiere/finale where she’s the star, or even any ReMane 5 other than Twilight, because I’m sick of the Twilight Sparkle Show. It’s pretty telling (and damning) that Starlight and the Young Six got their own premieres/finales and none of the ReMane 5 did.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@Roseluck
I don’t know. To me, Friendship is Magic was about Twilight and her friends and the Cutie Mark Crusaders. If you changed that, you’d lose what made the show insanely charming, unique and popular in the first place.
I think viewing the strengths of a story as inconvenients is the wrong way to experience the story. And if the writers took consideration of these criticisms, it would do the story a disservice. It’s like seeing The Artist and complaining there’s no sound and there’s no colours, when in reality it’s its biggest strength. Or complaining about violence in Tarantino’s films when it’s his trademark.
Or, like I’ve read here a couple of times, complaining about Friendship is Magic because “it’s about Twilight and her friends”. Why are you watching the show then? And keep in mind, no matter how frequent people say “the Mane 6 are generic”. These “generic” characters made the show incredibly popular in 2012, to the point where even Gabe Newell and Gamestop noticed it and talked publicly about it.
If a show is popular enough to get this attention, it’s not because the main characters are generic. They have a lot of charm.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

@Ring Team
I don’t see how making the show about each of the protagonists instead of “Twilight and the other five” would make the show lose anything. Teen Titans wasn’t worse off for devoting as much time to everyone (sans Starfire because no season six) as opposed to making each season, premiere and finale about Robin.
Chances are it was better for it, in fact. Because there was more in that show for the many different fans to enjoy than just Robin.
The show’s called “Friendship is Magic,” without “but some friends are more magic than others~” added in. Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack, Pinkie Pie… they’re all as interesting and apt at having their own premieres and finales instead of Twilight hoarding them all. It’s not like they didn’t have enough seasons to give one to each.
CronoM

@Mr.Myoozik
That’s your choice. If you want to stick to a comment, I’d suggest it make some sense. Cause that comment is literally a logic fallacy on many levels.
You didn’t even rationalize any of the lack of logic in that comment when I pointed out the problems.
Err…that also says a lot about the audience since not all complaints are valid.It’s not as cut and dry as you think.
??? I said MANY complaints, not ALL complaints. That’s a HUGE difference. I literally went out of my way to be very specific it wasn’t cut and dry because its the truth, but as I addressed, the real issue was the sheer enormity of backlash on the quality of the writing.
I sincerely doubt both you and Mr.Myoozik didn’t notice I was mentioning the immature complainers as well, so now both of you seem like you don’t want to address it out of spite. You both just want a false narrative to argue behind. That’s not cool. Kind of messed up really.
Considering a great many of the big complaints came from the premiers and finale’s which had the most continuity and permanent ongoing effects that would stay for the entire series, instead of just effecting a few episodes at most, the idea that you think a whole load of them, complaints which often divided the fandom, were “nitpicky” is kind of hard to rationalize.
And, again, there will always be a few people who made complaints about small episodes and small issues. We get that. We really do. But the nitpicky stuff are not the major complaints that arose during the lifespan of G4.
Ring Team
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

I don’t know if this is a hot take, but I think Maud Pie from season 4 should have been aired before Pinkie Pride.
In Pinkie Pride, Maud Pie was briefly shown in a photo without explaining who she is (back in 2014 I thought it was an animation error).
And then several weeks later we got Maud Pie, an episode about Pinkie Pie’s sister.
From a continuity standpoint, this episode order devalues her eventual introduction. Airing Maud Pie before Pinkie Pride would make her introduction more appropiate, because by the time we get to the scene where Pinkie sees her family picture in Pinkie Pride, we wouldn’t ask ourselves “who is she?”, because we’d know who she is.
Sparx
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

#115 Wassup Voltage!
@CronoM
Yea my point is that majority of the complaints are not at all valid in comparison.
Especially since people could never agree on what the show and characters should be. It’s a bit like the Sonic fandom.
I’ve seen the things people in this fandom complain about.This is including all the comics,movies,spin off series and most of it is honestly ridicoulous :x
CronoM

@Roseluck
I don’t know. To me, Friendship is Magic was about Twilight and her friends and the Cutie Mark Crusaders. If you changed that, you’d lose what made the show insanely charming, unique and popular in the first place.
I think viewing the strengths of a story as inconvenients is the wrong way to experience the story. And if the writers took consideration of these criticisms, it would do the story a disservice. It’s like seeing The Artist and complaining there’s no sound and there’s no colours, when in reality it’s its biggest strength. Or complaining about violence in Tarantino’s films when it’s his trademark.
Or, like I’ve read here a couple of times, complaining about Friendship is Magic because “it’s about Twilight and her friends”. Why are you watching the show then? And keep in mind, no matter how frequent people say “the Mane 6 are generic”. These “generic” characters made the show incredibly popular in 2012, to the point where even Gabe Newell and Gamestop noticed it and talked publicly about it.
If a show is popular enough to get this attention, it’s not because the main characters are generic. They have a lot of charm.
I think you’re missing the point.
Twilight is often the most generic and boring of all the main characters, and over exposed. She doesn’t have as good chemistry with the others as Sci-Twi has with Sunset on magic and science stuff or RD with nerdy stuff.
Twilight being over exposed and the other Mane 5 being under exposed was one of the show’s greatest weaknesses and garnered constant complaints. It was the least MLP:FiM aspect of the show, the My Little Pony: The Twilight Sparkle Show effect. She isn’t outright dislikable, but its no secret that despite her overexposure, RD and Pinkie Pie were always more popular and well known inside and outside the fandom.
Plus her lack of agency was also a big head scratcher. Out of all the franchises I’ve been exposed to, finding a main character with less lack of agency then Twilight Sparkle, Celestia’s brown noser, has been very hard to find.
The beginning episode of Season 2 after the premier literally advertised that the show would no longer focus exclusively on Twilight, with letters now being sent by all her friends. That meant that the Mane 6 would be equals in every sense, fully embracing the promised nature in the show, and literally everyone was happy about that.
Then Season 3 premier’s happened and then the finale and so forth and….well, the show got a growing discontent on the overexposure of Twilight Sparkle.
Twilight Sparkle’s overexposure was the exact antithesis of what made MLP:FiM so good initially. This was offset by a large degree by still having many of the non-plot related episodes not focus on Twilight or 2nd Purple Smart, but the excess of plot ones that did was an indication of…..
…well, something that got obvious.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@Ring Team
To be fair, they wanted to show that Pinkie had other siblings as they were developing her more so they created them in the hopes that they’ll develop them more. Have the fans guessing who they are and what role they’re gonna play.
That and I have a feeling if they did air Maud Pie before Pinkie Pride, it would be a repeat of the whole Shining Armor controversy from the Season 2 finale.
Vivace
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
@Ring Team
It’s called foreshadowing.
From a continuity standpoint, this episode order devalues her eventual introduction.
It does no such thing.
Airing Maud Pie before Pinkie Pride would make her introduction more appropiate, because by the time we get to the scene where Pinkie sees her family picture in Pinkie Pride, we wouldn’t ask ourselves “who is she?”, because we’d know who she is.
Why is setting up a question to be answered later a problem? Why would asking ourselves “who is that character?” be a thing to avoid?
CronoM

@CronoM
Yea my point is that majority of the complaints are not at all valid in comparison.
Something you say that is backed up by very few people’s experience, and only really said only by the anti-complaint crowd. Everyone remembers the fandom divides the show often gave in premiers and finales.
Plus the anti-complaint crowd isn’t exactly thrilled to admit a complaint is valid are they?
Especially since people could never agree on what the show and characters should be. It’s a bit like the Sonic fandom.
With Sonic, that’s a combination of gameplay mechanics and never creating a very defined universe outside the archie sonic comics.
06 simply needed to be not rushed. Shadow the Hedgehog simply needed to not have guns and other tweeks. Things spiraled from there.
MLP’s issues were obvious…it created a lot of elements that an unprecedented amount of people came to love…awesome characters, a magical world…then proceeded to sideline most of the main characters at crucial moments for a narrative “you’re a princess now” that was more represented in Barbie movies or G3 MLP, then this MLP world of Equestria and equal friendship importance.
Character’s Pet syndrome was also something the fans were not initially expecting when seeing this MLP show when compared to G3 or Barbie. The Season 2 finale had the Mane 6 all enter a complete melee with a hundred changelings, and were only defeated because the sheer numbers became too high. But then came the Season 3 turning point, and the rest is history.
Only the very finale had a slight attempt to give the non-purple main characters something to really do.
I’ve seen the things people in this fandom complain about.This is including all the comics,movies,spin off series and most of it is honestly ridicoulous :x
I’m not saying the things being complained aren’t varied in number. I’m saying that the complaints that drew the most attention from the most amount of people were about stuff that happened in all the worst premiers and finales that had permanent effects on the show, and for good reason, because they were often extremely valid complaints.
Ring Team
Artist -

Really? I wasn’t very active in Derpibooru back in 2014, but back then in a spanish MLP forum everyone loved Pinkie Pride, so did I, but I was one of the few who asked “who’s that character? Didn’t Pinkie have two sisters?”. That week, someone answered me and he told me that pony was previously introduced in a kids book, where her name was Maud Pie.
While I understood why she was in the episode, I don’t think you need either books or comics to understand a TV show. The TV show has to show the story, the characters, the motivations, the conflict, etc. Friendship is Magic didn’t need some books to skip some character information. If films started to skip information because it assumed the audience already read that somewhere, every film would be incredibly oblivious. I mean introducing Maud Pie in the TV show with the storytelling tools of a TV show.
Maybe it’s me, but I didn’t read constant complaints about Maud Pie. I’ve read complaints about the breezees, I’ve read complaints about Princess Spike, I’ve read complaints about season 3 because “it was too short” (wut?), I’ve read complaints about princess Luna… but most of the impressions I’ve read about the show were very positive, including the season 6.
The only vocal complaints I’ve read about the show were related to seasons 8 and 9, not only right now when I finished the show last year, but even in times when I already dropped the series (I was like “really? People hated it so much?”). While some of the criticisms were reasonable, I think people hated the season 8 and 9 too much for the “it’s too late” mentality, to the point where they didn’t appreciate few of their best episodes just because it’s an easy target and they want their word to get validated.
While I’m not a fan of many creative decisions of Friendship is Magic, I don’t think it should be an excuse to hate the rest of one entire season. It could cloud your reasoning.
Megalobronia

Nintendo Nerd
This is why I’m not a believer in the whole “we criticize because we care” principle.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide