General Tag Discussion

Background Pony #8C70
Are the tags “mare/stallion/colt/filly” applicable to anthro characters?
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Economist -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag-Bot
@Pudding Pone  
Hmmm… Her name tag doesn’t imply EQG so that probably shouldn’t either. Not sure why it got implied under it. I’ll wait a bit to see if anyone has a reason for the implication to stay before removing it.

@Background Pony #A8E1  
Personally, I say No. But I’ve seen a lot of people do that.  
At time of this post: 17,134 images under mare, anthro, -pony  
So it might have to be something that is allowed. I think that might be a bigger discussion.
Shayzorr
Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Emerald -
Economist -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

@Zeb  
And there are 299,958 images with solo anthro and solo semi-anthro images removed.

NSFW  
Adding to the mix, there are tags like human male on mare, mare on human female, mare on colt, mare on filly, stallion on human female, and even mare on stallion and stallion on mare, plus several more that should be remembered when some decision is made. Some images have more than one of those tags. Most of these images seem to operate on the assumption that mare/flly/colt/stallion are subsets of ponies, and anthros are something else.
Background Pony #8C70
If an artist changes their oc name, do I retag all old images of that oc with the new name?
Background Pony #8C70
@mjangelvortex  
Ok, thanks.

@Shayzorr  
Some of the pics also include cases where there’s both pony and anthro in the same pic; Either commission info pics, or just anthros interacting with ponies (>>2094174 eg, safe). I agree with not tagging mare/stallion/colt/filly for anthros given we don’t tag ponies on anthro only pics, but not sure how to differentiate the “anthro-only” images compared with those with ponies only for mass untag.

Edit: Also anthro,pony,capper dapperpaws appears mostly anthro only because of capper; otherwise pony.

Also, is there a tag for anthros interacting with ponies (that may be a different character) nonsexually?
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Economist -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Tag-Bot
@Background Pony #A8E1  
Aliasing it would be the better choice. Unless there’s a large number of other characters sharing that name.  
If there’s only like, a couple of images under the old name belonging to different OCs, then I’d alias, then un-alias and fix the tags on the few that need it.
Background Pony #8C70
@Zeb  
Ok. The oc in question was oc:joke plant  
“oc:kaikururu”/tags/oc-colon-kaikururu -> oc:joke plant  
>>2101746 (name change is recent in source)

Also, thinking of tagging images “anthro with ponies” for images that features ponies with anthros so images with both ponies and anthro can get removed when tagging.  
Eg.  
>>2094061 (questionable)  
>>1795070 (explicit, that one pony in the right corner)  
>>2093269 (questionable, pony crawling on anthro)  
>>2088318 (explicit, already has pony on anthro action)  
>>2084801 (questionable, reference sheet)  
>>2074564 (questionable, juxtaposition)  
>>2051974 (comission info)  
>>1816879 (pony with anthro oc)  
Any thoughts?  
Made the tag: anthro with ponies  
All images so far feature ponies with anthro ponies in the same picture.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
So what are people’s opinions in tagging characters + shipping in sex images where one or more parties are just a colored cock or other random body part with 95% of the image focused on another character?

For a less explicit example, Rainbow Blitz here is an arm, does that really count?  

And Spike? Sparity? Sure, totally…  

This logic can be applied to screencaps where a slice of one characetr’s hair is tagged as the character too I suppose. Thoughts?
Background Pony #5A5A
@LightningBolt  
I’m fine with it so long as the artist has been definitive with who the partly off-screen character is, although it’s preferable to there being some clue without the artist’s say so. That first one is part of a series that artist has been doing with Aura Winds and Rainbow Blitz, so there’s some extra context to fill in the identity of who’s arm that is. That second one is a little more iffy since there’s nothing in that picture to suggest that’s Spike and no previous or following image to show that.
Background Pony #8C70
@LightningBolt  
Those pics drive me nuts; especially with the ones with like 1 hand in the corner, and I have no idea should I tag “solo female/male”, or sometimes even the species tags. I would like to say no, but I have no idea where to draw the line (like those pov images), and shippers can be “scary”.
Background Pony #8C70
Alright. Do the (mostly) offscreen character still get tagged species/gender/character?  
Eg. Male in LightningBolt’s first pic, even when you can barely tell there’s a male if not for the artist saying it was RD (r63), or even the fact that was RD.
LightningBolt
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Background Pony #A8E1  
I guess that would depend on it you can see any defining gender traits, or the image makes it clear who it is by like a name or but mark, idk. I don’t think that’s one where there’s one true answer. Safe to say that a generic floating dick is assumed male unless told otherwise, but hands or hooves would be different cases.
mjangelvortex
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Lady of Ships and Birbs
@Background Pony #D326  
I agree with you. That being said, the Sparity picture seems to be part of a set, so Spike is still shown in the other pictures.

@LightningBolt  
I was thinking the same thing that BP was so thank you for answering that for me.

@LightningBolt  
It gets annoying to search for ship art and don’t see any actual ship art. So I’m with you in that this sort of thing really needs to stop.
LightningBolt

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@mjangelvortex  
I don’t know about stopping, I don’t think people would ever stop doing that, but a more consistent usage of the tags I mentioned will make it easier to filter/syntax them out in searches to find more relevant stuff. At least, that’s more or less why I populated those tags to begin with. Got sick of seeing male POV treated as default and only variations tagged, so I made them all equal billing and now FINALLY people usually tag male POV. usually, not always, but it’s getting better.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide