The Nerd Thread (comics, movies, anime, cartoons, video games, lore, fun stuff, ect.)

Background Pony #D63B
So is Starship Troopers really about fascism or what?
Arguably yes. Assuming you’re talking about the book, there’s no question the text contains a great deal of political and philosophical discussion that leans that way (although to what extent they represent Heinlein’s own political views is often a subject of debate), and it is unabashedly a story that glorifies the military and suggests violence as necessary solution to certain problems. I’m not sure I’d leap to saying it absolutely promotes “fascism is the only way”, and there are definitely arguments against that too, but the controversy over whether it is or not definitely exists for a reason.

As for the movie, I’m given to understand Paul Verhoeven found the book incredibly depressing, and satirized the whole thing by making the fascist elements as overt as possible and outright copying Nazi propaganda films for specific scenes and their uniform styles as well.
Background Pony #A916
To the peeps who’ve played Mother 3, is theme that capitalism is bad? I see this take on Twitter often and want to get some more nuanced views.
RadioDemon
Duck - User has been known to often resemble a waterfowl
Wallet After Summer Sale -

So many orphans~Alastor
@Background Pony #C625  
It absolutely does not. If you had read the book you would know that the government in the book consists of elected representatives, and that anyone even disabled people could receive the right to vote provided that they worked for 2 years in a hard job they arguably knew how to do. To add to that the government in the book is obligated to provide work to that person even if they are severely disabled. So no they are not fascist.
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

[screams in German]
DC Fan: “Lois dodging laser beams? So unrealistic.”

Me: “Batman can dodge Omega Beams which are able to hit even Superman and this is what bothers you?”
InsertPunHere
Economist -

Joker winning for Best Score and MAYBE Best Actor (I personally think Adam Driver should win) would be fair. Anything outside of that would be suspect at best.
Background Pony #D63B
@Background Pony #C625
It absolutely does not. If you had read the book you would know that the government in the book consists of elected representatives, and that anyone even disabled people could receive the right to vote provided that they worked for 2 years in a hard job they arguably knew how to do. To add to that the government in the book is obligated to provide work to that person even if they are severely disabled. So no they are not fascist.
First of all, I have read the book. More than once. I own a copy, even, so I’ll thank you not to suggest I’m unfamiliar with the text.

Secondly, you’re ignoring the fact that the book outright states that the ability to vote and hold public office can only be earned through “Federal Service” (which almost entirely seems to involve serving in the military, as far as the story itself concerned) and that the jobs the government of the book is obligated to provide are reserved for the veterans of said service. And given that one of the aspects of a fascist state is the existence of a martial government where those governing are of the same fascist party, it’s not hard to see why the idea that the book is in some way advocating fascism exists, regardless of whether you agree with the interpretation or not.

Third, even putting the voting issue aside, there are other similarities between things that are discussed or referenced in the book and fascist concepts. The protagonist is taught on multiple occasions to view violence as a necessity and to reject many of the negative associations that go along with it. The human society in the book is implied to rely on the military conquest of other races and expansion of their territory to keep from destroying themselves. Also, the “coming of age” aspect of the story veers a little too close at times to sounding like the kind of outright indoctrination and propaganda fascist states frequently employ.

So going back to my original response, yes, there are absolutely arguments to be made that it is in fact a fascist work. I’m not saying it absolutely is, because that’s a much larger, more involved debate, but it’s impossible to deny that those aspects exist and that the implication is there.
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

[screams in German]
@Dustcan  
Oh yeah, there was one. I think it was called “Batman and Harley Quinn”.

I was thinking more like Harley decided to be a hero herself and probably join the Justice League.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide