General Anime Thread

Penguin Dragneel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

The Latest Tax Write-Off
Doesn’t seem to have anything to do with unions this time though, as the entire cast from the previous two seasons is coming back, so at least it won’t be a repeat of Mob Psycho season 3.
I read somewhere that this was done because the studio that did the previous seasons (Studiopolis) was too busy this time around, and instead of waiting until they’re free again or giving it to another LA studio (which is what they SHOULD’VE done), they took it in-house to put it out as fast as possible.
So yeah, typical capitalism.
blue-case90
Cherry Blossom -
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Half Kitsune
Apparently there’s this anime/manga series that intrigues me, entitled “Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead”, where an office worker who becomes disillusioned with life because of his boring-as-hell routine finds opportunity knocking when a zombie apocalypse hits Tokyo, and he sees this as a chance to start a bucket list while everything else falls apart around him.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
It’s really good. The first episode should not have gone as hard as it did but they really pulled out all the stops.
Thankfully the manga maintains quality so there’s still good times ahead.
blue-case90
Cherry Blossom -

Half Kitsune
I just got back from “Princess Mononoke” as part of “Ghibli Fest”, and the thing is that I’d heard how mature and dark the movie is out of all the listed films, but I didn’t expect to see a goddamn decapitation so early on. 😳
My next movies in the lineup are “Porco Rosso” (Aug. 20), “The Wind Rises (10th anniversary)” (Aug. 21), “Howl’s Moving Castle” (Sep. 24) and “Spirited Away” (Oct. 29).
Also at the end of every movie, there’s an excerpt from the documentary “10 Years with Hayao Miyazaki”.
blue-case90
Cherry Blossom -

Half Kitsune
@Dustcan
To be fair, One Piece wasn’t even originally on their list of anime to distribute as a Saturday morning show. For the kids, you know? Because they were already well aware of the massive amount of violence and sexual jokes? But they didn’t have much of a choice, as it was part of a package deal when they wanted to dub another series, so the edits WERE, in fact, needed to satisfy the Standards and Practices.
Okay, let me explain what Wikipedia tells about the “butchering”:
At the 2019 Fan Expo Canada, Eric Stuart, who was the voice of Brock and James in the 4Kids dub of Pokémon, the voice of Seto Kaiba in the English dub of Yu-Gi-Oh!, and who was also part of the production side, mentioned why 4Kids’ dubs had this censorship. He explained that American culture has a different sensitivity to certain content compared to Japanese culture, and networks on Saturday mornings had standards that would forbid certain inappropriate content like firearms, sexual references, religious references, display or mention of death, alcohol, cigarettes, and other content that is considered offensive to American audiences. As the censorship is dictated by the networks and not the production company itself, 4Kids would submit the scripts and footage of their dubs to the networks their dubs air on, and then the executives of those networks would review them. Then after they reviewed it, they would tell 4Kids to cut out certain scenes and edit inappropriate content to something particular like changing Sanji’s cigarette to a lollipop in One Piece, or changing a stone that looks like a cross to something non-religious for their dubs to pass the network’s standards. He also pointed out that Pokémon, and anime as a whole, wouldn’t be as wildly popular as it is today if companies like 4Kids didn’t air it on network television instead of being in the back of a video store.
At the 2016 Metrocon, Eric Stuart also explained the “Americanization” in 4Kids’ dubs. He stated that those edits were international edits. When companies like 4Kids purchase the licensing to Japanese anime, the anime not only was redubbed into English but also redubbed into multiple languages because companies like 4Kids were used to distribute the anime to other countries by using their dubs and licensing them to other countries to have their dubs be used to distribute the anime. The Japanese food products being changed, and Japanese references being removed were requested by those Japanese anime companies because they wanted their anime to be distributed worldwide and wanted international audiences to relate to their products much easier. So, while the Japanese anime companies remove the Japanese text on signs, 4Kids removed the scenes involving Japanese references and changed the names of the Japanese food products like rice balls to something more international like donuts while only occasionally changing the animation to the foods since making animation changes causes a rise in production costs and they already have to make plenty of animation changes in their dubs.
Oh, and one last thing: don’t shoot the messenger. This includes me.
Holofan4life
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

I II II L
I just got back from “Princess Mononoke” as part of “Ghibli Fest”, and the thing is that I’d heard how mature and dark the movie is out of all the listed films, but I didn’t expect to see a goddamn decapitation so early on. 😳
My next movies in the lineup are “Porco Rosso” (Aug. 20), “The Wind Rises (10th anniversary)” (Aug. 21), “Howl’s Moving Castle” (Sep. 24) and “Spirited Away” (Oct. 29).
Also at the end of every movie, there’s an excerpt from the documentary “10 Years with Hayao Miyazaki”.
I’m doing Ghibli Fest as well
blue-case90
Cherry Blossom -

Half Kitsune
@Holofan4life
Speaking of, I’d gotten “Kiki’s Delivery Service”, “Ponyo” and “Howl’s Moving Castle” from Disney Movie Club in the 2010s while my copies of “My Neighbor Totoro” and “Spirited Away” are from GKIDS.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Deep down, aren’t we all just waiting for our fateful meeting with Truck-kun? Those video game fantasy worlds aren’t gonna save themselves.
blue-case90
Cherry Blossom -

Half Kitsune
Apparently “The Devil is a Part Timer” is getting some kind of McDonald’s promo? And of course when I go bike over to mine for lunch later this afternoon, it won’t have it because I live in the wrong part of the US. 🥲
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide